SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

brake light problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-08, 02:47 PM
trancuongv
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default brake light problem

hey guys, my drivers side brake light is dimmer than the passenger side brake light. i thought it was the bulb so i changed that out and it didnt solve the problem. i also that it was my bodys wiring harness so i had a extra one and decided to spend 3 hours to change that thinking it will fix it. still its still dimmer on the drivers side. i have a 95 sc300 with 97 tailights. another thing, my driver side tailight does have a small crack that is letting moisture and water come through. do you guys think that the taillight is dirty since that crack is there? any input is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by trancuongv; 12-06-08 at 02:49 PM. Reason: more information
Old 12-06-08, 04:43 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man I love it when people do wiring mods and then they have issues.lol Get a volt meter and put it to volts and check the light plug to see how many volts your getting out of it. Compare it to another brake light and see if it reads the same. I have a feeling that your taillight could also be messed up because there is a break in it. Make sure there aren't any crossed wires or anything of that nature.
Old 12-06-08, 04:47 PM
trancuongv
Advanced

Originally Posted by SHOLEXMAN
Man I love it when people do wiring mods and then they have issues.lol Get a volt meter and put it to volts and check the light plug to see how many volts your getting out of it. Compare it to another brake light and see if it reads the same. I have a feeling that your taillight could also be messed up because there is a break in it. Make sure there aren't any crossed wires or anything of that nature.
I didnt do any wiring mods that would cause this to happen. I just changed out the wiring harness as I thought it was the problem. The bulb isnt the problem either. Yeah, no wires are crossed either. I will get a volt meter and check this. Any other suggestions?
Old 12-07-08, 09:32 AM
trancuongv
Advanced

just a update. so i went out and bought a multimeter to check the voltage between the two taillight brake light bulbs. both came out in the range of around 13.70 or so when the engine on. any other suggestions? im thinking maybe my taillight housing is dull since there was water and moisture in there before?
Old 12-07-08, 12:11 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Another thing you can do is just take a flashlight and put it where the bulb would be and compare from your drivers to passengers side housing that simple. Better to do it in the dark to be sure or in a garage. Did you take out the bulbs let them hang inside the car and see if they have the same brightness?
Old 12-07-08, 12:14 PM
msc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

might sound stupid but clean the connections might be dirty worked for mine
Old 12-07-08, 12:35 PM
trancuongv
Advanced

Originally Posted by SHOLEXMAN
Another thing you can do is just take a flashlight and put it where the bulb would be and compare from your drivers to passengers side housing that simple. Better to do it in the dark to be sure or in a garage. Did you take out the bulbs let them hang inside the car and see if they have the same brightness?
Yeah I did take them out of the housing and let them hang. They seem to have the same brightness. I also checked the voltage like you suggested and both have the same amount of voltage. I am leaning towards the taillight housing now. Your thoughts?
Old 12-07-08, 02:07 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Replace the light housing I would have done that already lol.