SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Who else drives their SC in the SNOW?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-08, 07:41 PM
RexNICO
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quality narrow (225 or less) snow tires and patience make RWD cars manageable in the snow ... but be leary of ice.
Old 12-20-08, 01:30 AM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

Who says it doesnt snow in SOCAL....10 minutes north of Valencia

(please ignore the side of the car, my brother did that )

all those cars were abandoned and search and rescue had to go get them. Luckily my AWD audi with chains helped out a lot.
Old 12-21-08, 08:22 AM
Brendon
Pole Position

This is my 2nd winter driving my SC400. Needless to say it handles TERRIBLY. I'm running 225's Michelan all seasons. Massachusetts has gotten hit with snow for the last 3 days. My car's gotten stuck twice, while trying to park at my friend's apt and on the hill at the entrance/exit to my garage. I've tried adding weight to the trunk, but that only helps a bit, and when I get stuck, it makes it harder to push the car. I'm considering going to snow chains, and maybe some skinnier winter tires (probably 205/60). I just need some feedback on these. Are snow chains really effective? do they scrap against the fender wells? What about snow tires? do they help much going up hills from a stop?

Last edited by Brendon; 12-21-08 at 08:26 AM.
Old 12-21-08, 09:40 AM
assass1n
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sc-driver

all those cars were abandoned and search and rescue had to go get them. Luckily my AWD audi with chains helped out a lot.
WOW. thats just like mild flurries up here in ontario, canada. thats nothing compared to what we normally get. last one we got was about 30cm of snow and boy was everyone drifting. hahahaha. i even saw a UPS van getting pretty sideways and loving it at an intersection. i just got an sc400 and bought winters for it right away. needless to say i didnt get stuck so far and i even went through deep snow.
Old 12-21-08, 10:58 AM
IonFeright
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sc-driver

Hahaha This is where my pic was taken too. Acton or the grape vine?
Old 12-21-08, 11:07 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by assass1n
WOW. thats just like mild flurries up here in ontario, canada. thats nothing compared to what we normally get. last one we got was about 30cm of snow and boy was everyone drifting. hahahaha. i even saw a UPS van getting pretty sideways and loving it at an intersection. i just got an sc400 and bought winters for it right away. needless to say i didnt get stuck so far and i even went through deep snow.
Abandoned? what is this amature hour?.. Im jk, i have never driven an sc in the snow, but since drivin in snow comes pretty easy to me, and ive driven an sc430 in it before, i think it would be fun as hell, and slightly dangerous
Old 12-21-08, 12:29 PM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IonFeright
Hahaha This is where my pic was taken too. Acton or the grape vine?
San Francisquito Canyon going towards Lake Elizabeth. Its like a lil east of the grape vine.
Old 12-21-08, 12:36 PM
blacknight
Driver School Candidate

Cool

been driven my sc in winter for 2 years. i regret it cuz i hate dirtying up the ride but its fun. left drag radials on in 3 inch's of snow... went about 2 inch's before spinning. i turn TC off and have fun drove in 12 inch's of snow past 2 days i live in New England what can i expect... you just need to know how to drive in the snow its not just the car. i love idiots in big trucks that cant get up hills then i cruise by in my SC lol
Old 12-21-08, 08:45 PM
lexdud
Pole Position

I drive my SC in the snow ... every time it snows here in Florida. The problem is ... it hasn't snowed here since 1992!
Old 12-22-08, 07:56 AM
Jeembo
Lexus Test Driver

Wait.. so they abandoned their cars on the highway? What the hell for? And there's a couple 4WD trucks that were abandoned????

Where did the people go after they abandoned them? Call a cab?

I'm starting to get used to piling my SC3 through the snow. Starting to really like the snow setting for TCS. Damn it's hard to get going though when there's 2+ inches on the roads. Throttle is way too touchy. She starts up and runs like a champ in the cold though. It was about -15 degrees F this morning and it ran like it was 70.

Last edited by Jeembo; 12-22-08 at 08:00 AM.
Old 12-22-08, 01:00 PM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jeembo
Wait.. so they abandoned their cars on the highway? What the hell for? And there's a couple 4WD trucks that were abandoned????

Where did the people go after they abandoned them? Call a cab?

I'm starting to get used to piling my SC3 through the snow. Starting to really like the snow setting for TCS. Damn it's hard to get going though when there's 2+ inches on the roads. Throttle is way too touchy. She starts up and runs like a champ in the cold though. It was about -15 degrees F this morning and it ran like it was 70.
Most of the cars got stuck and couldn't move. If you look at that g37, you can see that the rear end actually went up onto the mountainside. There was also a crash between a truck and some chrysler up ahead too. What happened was that search and rescue picked them up because road conditions were extremely bad. Not too far up ahead the road was mostly blocked because of falling branches and limbs from the surrounding trees.

I have no idea what they did after. I'm guessing call a cab, or hit up the hotel.

Old 12-23-08, 07:18 PM
Josh S
Driver School Candidate

I've been drving my in the snow this winter and with snow tires it has actually done a lot better than I thought it would. There were a couple of times when I had to stop on a snow cover hill that I thought would be a problem but it was fine.
Its my first time driving a RWD car in the snow, but I grew up driving in snow all the time so I'm used to it, plus I really prefer a 5-speed in the snow to an auto
Old 12-23-08, 11:54 PM
yihaw
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get some studs and sandbag in the rear works likes a tank
Old 01-10-09, 03:45 PM
0nePutt
Lead Lap

i drifted my SC300 today for the first time in the snow, significantly. its so much easier to handle than my GS300.
Old 01-10-09, 04:58 PM
assass1n
Pole Position

also an lsd helps very well. especially in those instances that one tire gets caught in the snow.

Quick Reply: Who else drives their SC in the SNOW?