SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

new sc400 owner....need help...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-08, 09:50 AM
assass1n
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new sc400 owner....need help...

i tried searching for what i need but i couldnt find anything from search. i just recently got a 1992 sc400 from my friend. i was just wondering what to do first. are there any problem areas that i should replace. also looking for decent and cheap mods to do on the car. ive never had a lexus so i dont know anything about them. hoping to learn a lot from the boards. also wondering if theres anyway to use a digital dash from a toyota soarer on a sc400?
Old 12-21-08, 09:56 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm at a loss for words here. Theres no way you did a search and haven't come up with any of those.

1. Common Problems: Power steering, cluster needles, etc.....
2. Cheap Mods: BFI *SEARCH *Intake Mods*, bushings, etc....
3. You can try, but will most likely fail with the digital cluster swap....

This has ALL been covered here before, and maybe you just suck at searching, but try more detailed wording in your searches. GL, and have fun with the car.
Old 12-21-08, 10:06 AM
0nePutt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by assass1n
i tried searching for what i need but i couldnt find anything from search. i just recently got a 1992 sc400 from my friend. i was just wondering what to do first. are there any problem areas that i should replace. also looking for decent and cheap mods to do on the car. ive never had a lexus so i dont know anything about them. hoping to learn a lot from the boards. also wondering if theres anyway to use a digital dash from a toyota soarer on a sc400?

....wow
Old 12-21-08, 10:07 AM
assass1n
Pole Position

my bad. i did a search but the thread titles didnt warrant any further looking into. i found most of my answers here. http://intellexual.net/faq.html. as for doing the digital cluster swap, why do you say im gonna fail at it? has it been tried before and people keep failing at it? most likely im not going to do it myself since i know a guy thats a complete wiz with rewiring anything.
Old 12-21-08, 10:21 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

my bad. i did a search but the thread titles didnt warrant any further looking into. i found most of my answers here. http://intellexual.net/faq.html. as for doing the digital cluster swap, why do you say im gonna fail at it? has it been tried before and people keep failing at it? most likely im not going to do it myself since i know a guy thats a complete wiz with rewiring anything.
If you know a guy that is a complete wiz at it and you don't mind trying, by all means go for it. It has been attempted many times, and most folks have failed. You will need the cluster and the harness associated with it, after that, GL.
Old 12-21-08, 10:42 AM
assass1n
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jewcano
If you know a guy that is a complete wiz at it and you don't mind trying, by all means go for it. It has been attempted many times, and most folks have failed. You will need the cluster and the harness associated with it, after that, GL.
thanks. as long as those are all the parts i need i should be fine.
Old 12-21-08, 01:16 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Didnt you answer your own question then..? If you pay a shop to do it then they'll do it by all means as long as theres money involved. GL
Old 12-21-08, 01:55 PM
lawrenceO
Driver

You may want to post a question or search soarercentral.com - the Aussie Soarer site. They have been trying the reverse - to get an analog cluster to work in in a Jap import.....There are a number of electronics gurus on that site that may be able to assist. You may not get a good response at this time of the year though - Xmas, summer.........etc.

If you DO make the change, it would be good to replace the capacitator in the digital cluster that usually fails and causes 'blinky dash' while you are at it. Once the cluster is out, it's a 10 minute job and will fix that annoying problem once and for all. You can also change the colour of the digital illumination at the same time if that interests you ....!

Before you ask, search soarercentral for blinky dash and colour change - it's all there - good luck!

Last edited by lawrenceO; 12-21-08 at 01:57 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-21-08, 02:02 PM
lawrenceO
Driver

Some inspiration - my Soarer cluster
Attached Thumbnails new sc400 owner....need help...-soarer-dash-small.jpg  
Old 12-21-08, 02:28 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

my bad. i did a search but the thread titles didnt warrant any further looking into.

That is great...because new sc400 owner....need help... is so descriptive.
Old 12-21-08, 07:47 PM
assass1n
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sc300jz
Didnt you answer your own question then..? If you pay a shop to do it then they'll do it by all means as long as theres money involved. GL
the guy im talking about doesnt own a shop nor work at one. hes basically our go to guy for any electronic installs we need done. he has rewired engine harnesses to work on engine swaps the same it takes me to eat a light snack.

Originally Posted by lawrenceO
You may want to post a question or search soarercentral.com - the Aussie Soarer site. They have been trying the reverse - to get an analog cluster to work in in a Jap import.....There are a number of electronics gurus on that site that may be able to assist. You may not get a good response at this time of the year though - Xmas, summer.........etc.

If you DO make the change, it would be good to replace the capacitator in the digital cluster that usually fails and causes 'blinky dash' while you are at it. Once the cluster is out, it's a 10 minute job and will fix that annoying problem once and for all. You can also change the colour of the digital illumination at the same time if that interests you ....!

Before you ask, search soarercentral for blinky dash and colour change - it's all there - good luck!
thank you so much. ill definitely go and read up on it. just out of curiousity, how much did it cost you in total for parts and what parts did you need? i have contacts in japan so i wont have problems getting any soarer part plus any part available from a dealership i can get my dad to order since he works for the lexus head office here in ontario.

Originally Posted by neurocity
That is great...because new sc400 owner....need help... is so descriptive.
i know. my bad. just been a bit under the weather lately. will definitely look harder next time.
Old 12-21-08, 11:02 PM
pmpdaddyt
Lexus Test Driver

Problems:
ive had my lights flicker when u brake (still dont know why, hasnt happened in a while)

my antennae stopped working (need to go with an ebay one)

power steering is gone ( parallel parking is near impossible)

motor mounts and tranny mounts bad (shake at about 45 - until 60; doesnt shake over 100 thogh.) lol
Old 12-21-08, 11:57 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

What's so great about the digital cluster? No offense to you Soarer folk, but I had one in my '95 Impala SS and couldn't stand the thing... Looked like something out of Tron.
Old 12-22-08, 08:00 AM
assass1n
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pmpdaddyt
Problems:
ive had my lights flicker when u brake (still dont know why, hasnt happened in a while)

my antennae stopped working (need to go with an ebay one)

power steering is gone ( parallel parking is near impossible)

motor mounts and tranny mounts bad (shake at about 45 - until 60; doesnt shake over 100 thogh.) lol
so far the only one of those i have is the antenna stopped working on mine. however its good you told me about those so ill definitely watch out for those.