SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

greddy exhaust/toyomoto 1.5 questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-02, 01:50 PM
cundiffw
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question greddy exhaust/toyomoto 1.5 questions

just a couple questions about the toyomoto kit...

does the kit include a turbo type manifold...or will that have to be purchased somewhere else? Ive also heard of people changing the turbo in the kit to a T-60...why is this desirable and how much more is it going to cost?

my other question is about greddys SC300 catback exhaust system...can someone with this exhaust system tell me what its like? Is the sound intrusive? Is it quiet when cruising...etc...

thanks a lot
Old 02-28-02, 02:06 PM
cundiffw
Rookie

another question i had was what aftermarket clutch to chose for the 5 speed after adding the turbo kit?
Old 02-28-02, 06:42 PM
wolfy187
Pole Position

you are in luck i have everything you are asking. First the exhaust is nice and quiet when its supposed to be. It doens't get on your nerves but has a nice sound if you rev hard.

the turbo kits come with a manifold...

( just out of curiosity how else are you going to go turbo if a kit doens't come with a manifold??)

you can go with a t60-1 which is still a relatively small turbo that spools pretty fast and has pretty decent power.

you can choose from clutchmasters clutch, RPS, or VITEK. i am trying Vitek on mine... will update on how it drives when i get my car back tommorrow

Arthur
Old 02-28-02, 11:13 PM
cundiffw
Rookie

thanks a lot for your reply
i asked the question about the manifold because I was told that i would have to find a custom turbo manifold...so basically i heard wrong ...thanks again
Old 03-01-02, 06:54 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ummm I'd like to speculate here

the T60-1 is HARDLY a small turbo
its fricken huge... its a T-series Garret; which means it has a 4" inlet and is a good bit larger than a T4

It spools decent because the A/R on the exhaust side is so low

cundiffw:
the normal kit comes with a T04E-60 turbo; which has a 3" inlet, etc.... its a decent size turbo... the T60-1 is a much bigger turbo; it has a 4" inlet and MUCH larger compressor housing; this is the smallest turbo of the T-series; but its still very big. the .58 A/R allows quick spoolup on the Stage 1.5 setup... although you can order larger A/R exhaust sides for the turbo if you wish...
a ball bearing option is also available for this turbo

to see everything about Garret turbos: http://www.turbocharged.com
Old 03-01-02, 01:28 PM
cundiffw
Rookie

Default toyomoto...whats included?

can someone tell me exactly what is included in the kit? I ask this mainly because im wondering if i should get fuel controller, boost controller, aftermarket wastegate etc...
thanks a lot
-Bill
Old 03-01-02, 01:43 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah Bean, a T60-1 is a large turbo. When I was doin' GN's, a T60 was considered a ferris wheel.
Old 03-01-02, 10:26 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

The stage 1.5 kit includes everything... Right down to the clamps, hoses, fittings, etc. Mine included the Haltech F5 auxiliary fuel injection controller (fueler), two 550cc extra injectors (two 550ccs are not needed for 350rwhp, but useful if you're gonna run race gas, higher boost or NOS).

Items NOT included in the kit: some specific tools, like a hole saw and some odd sized drill bits. You'll need to rent a 90 degree angle drill for the boss on the block that you have to punch through. Clutch is not included. (absolutely need the best clutch possible---the RPS that I have is pretty crappy, chatters, doesn't always hold the 425-525rwhp very well). Gauges-- You'll want air/fuel and boost gauges as an absolute minimum. An EGT gauge would be highly recommended and best installed with the kit. Lance can cut an appropriate hole before the turbo on the manifold for the EGT probe. Best to do this BEFORE you start installing everything.

Items NOT included, but are almost essential: MSD 6BTM ignition box... You'll WANT this item if you're running stock compression, otherwise you won't be able to selectively retard the ignition. Boost controller: I love the Apexi AVC-R... It allows RPM based boost and gear based boost functions that allow you to squeeze that last bit of power out of the engine under stock compression. I believe Computerwiz also has the AVC-R, he's on a smaller turbo and still managed big power in part because of the AVC-Rs RPM based boost.

Some of the install process and parts are listed on my site:

www.datapathusa.com/scott/scott.html

Feel free to ask any questions1
Old 03-03-02, 06:04 PM
Rob_O
Rookie

Originally posted by SC300T

Items NOT included, but are almost essential: MSD 6BTM ignition box... You'll WANT this item if you're running stock compression, otherwise you won't be able to selectively retard the ignition.
I'm planning on using the J&S Safeguard for my conversion (even have one on the kitchen table waiting to go). It's more expensive than the MSD box but for my money it's a better way to go. Either way, a few hundred bucks spent on keeping your engine alive is a lot better than a few thousand putting a new engine in.

Rob_O
Old 03-04-02, 06:08 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Lance recommends the J&S box, also... I thought it was just for single cylinder adaptive retard, and not ignition? If so, you'll want an ignition upgrade as well.
Old 03-04-02, 07:59 AM
Rob_O
Rookie

I'm not aware of the J&S doing anything to bump up the spark. Have you had problems with misfiring with the plugs gapped down? At what boost level did it become a problem?

Rob_O
Old 03-04-02, 08:08 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

No real misfires, just drivability issues. With stock ignition, it would hesitate when transitioning from vacuum to boost... Typically when crossing the vacuum/boost line. I suppose the MSD box makes a more robust spark that is able to fire a wider variety of mixtures. It feels stronger HP wize as well. I can't say for sure, but it feels like 20hp.
Old 03-04-02, 09:14 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Scott to use that ignition retard/advance control from MSD you have to run a MSD-6A box right? Or at least a MSD-6 7 or 8 series box

Or does the MSD-6BTM work by itself? I was thinking about getting one of those like very soon for the nitrous kit i'm going to run
Old 03-04-02, 09:42 AM
Rob_O
Rookie

Thanks for the info on that one

Rob_O
Old 03-04-02, 09:52 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Bean, the MSD-6BTM includes a 6A ignition amplifier, as well as the boost timing master (which is available separately). You won't be able to use it with juice though, it's boost-indexed retard, no way of sensing the flow of nitrous, to do that right you'll need a standalone that will let you map out your N2O flow in conjunction with timing retard in rpm increments, otherwise there's no way for the ECU to determine how much hit is flowing into the motor. I've never gotten more than a couple hp from an MSD, including turbo cars, just did it for smoother running, the ability to fire diverse mixtures, as Scott said, and the hotter spark at higher revolutions, where I get nervous that a single misfire at 6500rpm could be a no-no at a bar of boost. Scott, the fact that you feel you got 20hp is great, combined with the user-controlled retard, talk about bang for your buck, you must be kicking yourself for not installing it sooner. Bean, try a Jacobs nitrous mastermind if you can get it to work with the SC, I believe it has a feature that allows you to retard timing in conjunction with and in reference to progressive nitrous control.
- Jon

Quick Reply: greddy exhaust/toyomoto 1.5 questions