SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Should i wait out for a 97+ SC400 or go for one of these

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-09, 12:10 AM
lynxz3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Should i wait out for a 97+ SC400 or go for one of these

Hey guys for the past 2-3months i've been in the market to buy an SC400 but i'm holding out for 97+.
Recently i've come across some decent 92s and 95's
in particular i've come a 92 with a 140,000km everything is stock for $4,900CAD
and i've come across a 95 with 199,000km for $5,900CAD
and finally theres a 95 with 146,000km for $8,000CAD

So my question is should i hold out for the 97+ or go with one of these?
Old 01-10-09, 01:01 AM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

What is you budget? The most drastic differences between a '97 and the earlier models can be made up with some pretty basic body upgrades that can be had for fairly cheap unless you can find a '98+ in your price range. Just find the cleanest one you can for a good price and keep a little $ for upgrades/maintenance. Even if you want to drive it stock, the bug will bite you.
Old 01-10-09, 01:15 AM
Ryeno
Banned

Your in Canada so i would just settle. If you were in socal, i would say keep on looking but its going to be VERY hard for you to find a car in canada. You could always try importing a car from america but thats pesky and might cost you a good chunk of money.
Old 01-10-09, 02:27 AM
Brendon
Pole Position

Trying to convert an early SC to the 97 style isn't cheap at all, unless you just want certain things. If you just want the front bumper for instance, sure you could probably get one for a few hundred then another hundred or so to paint it, but if you want everything (front bumper, side skirts, rear bumper, spoiler, tail lights) the cost will probably run up pretty high, especially if you have to repaint each piece to match. Plus you got to deal with the hassle of putting all these pieces on. Putting on new tails or side skirts is pretty easier, but the front bumper isn't that easy for the average joe the pumbler, unless you pay a shop to do it which means even more money.

I'd say wait for the 97+ if you're like me and wanted the whole package. If you just like certain things about the 97 look like the tail lights or the bumper, then sure go for an older model and you'll save yourself money. There isn't much powertrain difference between the 97 and the earlier models. If you find a 98+, then you're talking about vvti which can be a real sought after thing that can't just be bolted on.
Old 01-10-09, 09:42 AM
lynxz3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kyoso23
What is you budget? The most drastic differences between a '97 and the earlier models can be made up with some pretty basic body upgrades that can be had for fairly cheap unless you can find a '98+ in your price range. Just find the cleanest one you can for a good price and keep a little $ for upgrades/maintenance. Even if you want to drive it stock, the bug will bite you.
Well my budget is around 10-13k max all of these cars fall in my price range, its just that they are over 14yrs old, i was hoping to locate a a newer model but i haven't see anything newer than an '95
And in terms of how clean the cars are... they are all about the same the '92 has a bit of interior issues mainly with the drivers side. Otherwise they are all the same. So my Question is which one of these cars would you go for?

Originally Posted by Brendon
Trying to convert an early SC to the 97 style isn't cheap at all, unless you just want certain things. If you just want the front bumper for instance, sure you could probably get one for a few hundred then another hundred or so to paint it, but if you want everything (front bumper, side skirts, rear bumper, spoiler, tail lights) the cost will probably run up pretty high, especially if you have to repaint each piece to match. Plus you got to deal with the hassle of putting all these pieces on. Putting on new tails or side skirts is pretty easier, but the front bumper isn't that easy for the average joe the pumbler, unless you pay a shop to do it which means even more money.

I'd say wait for the 97+ if you're like me and wanted the whole package. If you just like certain things about the 97 look like the tail lights or the bumper, then sure go for an older model and you'll save yourself money. There isn't much powertrain difference between the 97 and the earlier models. If you find a 98+, then you're talking about vvti which can be a real sought after thing that can't just be bolted on.
Yeah i know its definitely pricey was looking at cost for converting to a '97+ style its gonna be around 2k + fitting and painting. So i really dunno if i should just hold out or go with one of these cars i like '95 for 8k i can probably bring him down do to 5~6k i think. But even then i dont know if its worth spending an extra 3k just to make it look '97+
Old 01-10-09, 11:57 AM
assass1n
Pole Position

coming from someone in ontario too i'd suggest going for the 92. as long as its running properly. i think ive seen the ad for the 92 one you're talking about. i saw it on kijiji. interior is very easy to fix. something mechanical is not. for your budget. you can get the 92 and make her look brand spanking new with a few extra mods too.