Cig. Lighter burned out

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-02, 10:25 PM
slowtan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cig. Lighter burned out

I need help .

My wife used my cig. lighter to power an air compresser to pump up a friends tire. She said the compresser just cut off. I tried it on my other car and the compresser was fine (damm, I wish it was broke) . I checked my cig lighter and it wasn't working. I couldn't find a blown fuse in the fuse box in the engine. There is a light around the cig. lighter and that works but the lighter doesn't.

I don't smoke so it is not a big deal but I like all the parts of my car to work.

I was thinking there might be another fuse behind the actual cig lighter but I don't know how to take the console or anything to get behind it . Any help or suggestions to check would be appreciated ..
Old 03-01-02, 02:23 AM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think there's 2 fuses related to cig lighter by driver leg room.
I currently dont have repair book with me but it might be the second one from right & 2nd row from top. I'm not sure.
check all fuses on 2nd row from top. let us know how it goes.
Old 03-01-02, 04:59 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a fuses box under the dash located near the left foot of the driver. Take the cap off, behind the fuses box cap there should be a schematic of each fuse. I believed the cig. lighter fuse is in there. There are no fuse puller there, you have to use the fuse puller from the other fuse box under the hood.
Old 03-01-02, 04:14 PM
slowtan
Driver

Thanks guys !

I am sure that is it . I didn't even know there was a fuse box down there. It is raining 50 degress and windy so I am not going to check it probably for another couple of days .

Thanks again,
Stephen
Old 03-04-02, 06:52 PM
slowtan
Driver

I checked my fuses and I only saw 1 related to the cig lighter . It is the 2nd fuse on the 2nd row . It was fine . I went ahead and replaced it anyways.

Doe anyone have any other suggestions?
Old 03-04-02, 07:14 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Check the lighter itself to see the wire is burned. Take the consel off. Push the gear shift screws cover down by pushing the bottom of the shift knop down to expose the screws, pull the shift knop off. Take the cup holder out, 2 screws there. pry the middle cover off (the black cover ) It only held by clips I think. Open the ash tray. There are more screws but you get the idea on how to take it off. It's not that difficult, once you know how it will takes about 5 minutes. Don't lose the screws it is very small and you won't find it if dropped.

Good Luck
Originally posted by slowtan
I checked my fuses and I only saw 1 related to the cig lighter . It is the 2nd fuse on the 2nd row . It was fine . I went ahead and replaced it anyways.

Doe anyone have any other suggestions?
Old 03-04-02, 07:31 PM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.jkwebdesign.co.uk/lexuscl...treconsole.htm
Old 03-04-02, 11:33 PM
slowtan
Driver

I have one question before starting to take apart my center console.

What do I do if I find a burnt wire?? re-run a new wire to the fuse box?? what kind of wire? Is there a kit for this?

How do I know the wire is no good. Can't I use a voltmeter on the inside of the lighter. I going to try and track down a meter tommorrow . I am not brave enough to take apart the center console
Old 03-05-02, 04:51 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by slowtan
I have one question before starting to take apart my center console.

What do I do if I find a burnt wire?? re-run a new wire to the fuse box?? what kind of wire? Is there a kit for this?

How do I know the wire is no good. Can't I use a voltmeter on the inside of the lighter. I going to try and track down a meter tommorrow . I am not brave enough to take apart the center console
Follow Taka site.
Take the center console off is easy. Fixing the cig. lighter is not...
Don't worry about how hard it is to take the console out. It is very easy and you do have to take if off from time to time. Just make sure you have a good philip screw driver.
Learn this and you can install the second cup holder in yourself
There will be time you have to check out the stereo sys. (They been known to break down too

Order the repair manual from Steve Ganz (Carson Toyota) 800-908-6968. remember to get the electrical manual also.
Old 03-13-02, 01:39 AM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

slowtan, have you fixed the problem yet?
Old 03-13-02, 02:01 AM
slowtan
Driver

No,

I still don't have it fixed . It would be nice but I am in the process of a stereo upgrade and working on my 60K mile maint. stuff.

I think I am going to have to get my old multi-meter out on the cig lighter. I hope the wire isn't burnt but what else could it be. Could I have ruined the base where the lighter goes in?? Could the push in lighter actually be bad. Only a couple things that I haven't checked but they all involve some time which I don't seem to have much of these days.

Stephen