SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

I Found some Awesome LED Bulbs! 1156 1157

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-09, 11:39 AM
SETFREE
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Found some Awesome LED Bulbs! 1156 1157

So I figured id pass this on to you guys since I know it's a problem a lot of people have been having in trying to find bright enough LED (Red or Amber) for their tail lights.

Ive gotten alot in the past and none really got bright enough of Red enough so really I gave up because to me I figured no LED would work, but after finding these ive gotta say im glad I took the chance in buying them because im super happy with them! they even shine Red through my black section of the tail lights

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ht_1256wt_1106
Old 01-12-09, 12:06 PM
shaitaan
Lexus Test Driver

Can you still see the light from the side? I thought LED bulbs had directional issues....
Old 01-12-09, 12:15 PM
Jherb350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have pics of them with and without the brakes on?
Old 01-12-09, 12:17 PM
BSC300TT
Lead Lap

Are you trying to sell something? Pictures of personal vehicle please.
Old 01-12-09, 01:15 PM
SETFREE
Driver

No not at all just trying to help out the fourms........Ill take some pictures in a second, I just know that alot of people on here have been looking for some good LED Blubs (as have I) and just wanted to pass along the info on where I found them........I used them for my blinker blubs since the tail lighst I have are black ontop and red on bottom the white light was blinking and that is not legal so it's why I needed Red
Old 01-12-09, 01:16 PM
SETFREE
Driver

Originally Posted by shaitaan
Can you still see the light from the side? I thought LED bulbs had directional issues....
Yes they did but the bulbs have lights under the ones facing out so it shines in all directions........Another reason they are so good
Old 01-12-09, 01:22 PM
Inzane089
Driver

yeah any pics?
Old 01-12-09, 01:34 PM
assass1n
Pole Position

just thought i should share this link. on my gtr i bought all my leds from oznium.com. it was referred to me by my friend with an evo X. he bought led's there for his custom fog lights and they are amazing. customer service is very good too.
Old 01-12-09, 01:48 PM
SETFREE
Driver

Maybe im not seeing 1156 type bulbs on that site Assass1n........id like to get some for my other car if these are better then what I got
Old 01-12-09, 01:51 PM
BBriBro
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too have experimented with many different types of LEDs over the years, and the "new breed" of SMDs and the big "clusters" seem to be the way to go. I just bought a batch of various bulbs from V-Leds, this is my first experience with the SMDs and they seem to be superior to the old (for lack of a better word) glass bubble type. maybe just because you can fit so many more in the same space.

In all of these "retrofits" such as our tail lights, turn signals, even instrument lighting and dome lights, 99% of the time, LEDs are just too directional. On new cars that come with LED tail lights, they are spread out over a large area, more like the "circuit board" style. I think the key in any of these old fashioned light housings is the radial firing LEDs, if you don't bounce enough light off the reflectors, it's going to seem very dim unless you are looking straight on that one little spot in the center. I'm leary of replacing my tail light or turn signal bulbs for this reason, plus if they are LEDs I think they should be behind a crystal clear lens for more effect. Here is a pic of the tail lights on my 1960 Mini, They would have looked horrible with a regular replacement LED type bulb since there is really no reflector to speak of, but the circuit board is key, plus I sanded all the reflectors and fluting out of the lenses and polished them.

If someone would make something like that even remotely affordable for the SC300 tails I'd be all over it.

IMO, I would think these bulbs
would be better than the ones posted above, simply because of all the light hitting the reflectors. With a lens like we have that's not crystal clear, with all the "fluting" the light pointing straight out the back isn't all that important. As you guys know, it's gets pretty expensive to buy several just to test someones claim of "mine are the brightest" and then half of them sit on your workbench unused.

I did install these in my cornering lights on the SC300.
they are the 20 LED high power units. And although I haven't driven the car at night to really compare how well they light up the road, I can say this, they "look" right, the lens is completely filled with light, there is no bright "hot spot" right in the center.
Old 01-12-09, 01:52 PM
SETFREE
Driver

Originally Posted by Inzane089
yeah any pics?

Here yeh go! this is outside on a very bright 85 deg weather day with blacked out lights........I think it's amazing compared to what ive had before, this is durring the day ill take some at night! at night they are 10times brighter
Attached Thumbnails I Found some Awesome LED Bulbs! 1156 1157-img_1534-1.jpg  

Last edited by SETFREE; 01-12-09 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-12-09, 01:55 PM
Enigma8246
Lead Lap

i just ordered some bulbs from autolumination.com. didn't order the LED's because they had some regular bulbs that solved my problem but they did have an ample selection of all sized LED replacement 'bulbs'
Old 01-12-09, 01:58 PM
SETFREE
Driver

Pix dont do them justice imo because I had to get them while they where "flashing" and I never got them at their peak or brightness and also this is just one bulb the blinker really takes two
Attached Thumbnails I Found some Awesome LED Bulbs! 1156 1157-img_1543-1.jpg  
Old 01-12-09, 02:07 PM
BBriBro
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SETFREE
......I never got them at their peak or brightness
oh I doubt that, being an LED the fact that you got a pic with them on, I'd say they were at "full bright" to snap a pic of an LED "while it was lighting up, but not at full output" would be next to impossible with their instant on nature. Some night pics would be great to see how well they "fill" out the lens. maybe even a side by side with the old incandescent in the other one.
Old 01-12-09, 02:11 PM
SETFREE
Driver

You might be right but they just seem much brighter in person then how the pictures came out

Quick Reply: I Found some Awesome LED Bulbs! 1156 1157