SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Radio and tilt issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-09, 05:09 AM
sulup
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio and tilt issues

Hello out there,my name is Lou and I am new to the lexus family and ready to attack my problems with your help.Well here We go.I`m ready to buy a 95 sc400,there are two issues with the car,first when you turn the radio on there is a cracking noise from the speakers,the owner tells me that it`s the amp.Are there any tests or checks to make sure that this is the prblem?Is the amp seperate from the radio and where is it located?Second,the tilt,was working with a grinding noise for the up and down positions,then it got stuck in the up position,any info on this matter? Well guys hope someone could help. Thanks Lou
Old 01-13-09, 06:07 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

SC Speakers Amps and head units can all be found and bought here in the classifieds or on ebay. Could be a loose connection, bad amp, blown speakers. Till you pull it all apart who knows.

The tilt column. There is a great DIY one how to fix it here in the SC threads.

Just search "Tilt Steering Repair" in the search section.

Other then that...welcome
Old 01-13-09, 08:00 AM
captainsc
Lexus Test Driver

I agree fully with O.L.T.... the speakers are common to go after so many years, could be any the problems he listed. It will just take some looking into but can be fixed. As fas as the tilt steering goes the DIY thread is great! I had the same problem an it literally costs under a dollar to fix. The SC's are awesome cars and I hope you enjoy it as much as many of us have.
Old 01-13-09, 12:10 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Originally Posted by captainsc
I agree fully with O.L.T.....
He in this thread?
Old 01-13-09, 12:13 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by neurocity
He in this thread?
LMFAO....
Old 01-13-09, 12:22 PM
bcp_sc300

Originally Posted by sulup
Hello out there,my name is Lou and I am new to the lexus family and ready to attack my problems with your help.Well here We go.I`m ready to buy a 95 sc400,there are two issues with the car,first when you turn the radio on there is a cracking noise from the speakers,the owner tells me that it`s the amp.Are there any tests or checks to make sure that this is the prblem?Is the amp seperate from the radio and where is it located?Second,the tilt,was working with a grinding noise for the up and down positions,then it got stuck in the up position,any info on this matter? Well guys hope someone could help. Thanks Lou
If its a Aftermarket system then the cracking noise you get when you turn the system on is from the Remote wire to the amp, just put a resistor on it.

And about the grinding tilt noise, wasn't there a DIY on that
Old 01-13-09, 08:30 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Originally Posted by bcp_sc300

And about the grinding tilt noise, wasn't there a DIY on that

Originally Posted by neurocity
The tilt column. There is a great DIY one how to fix it here in the SC threads.
Just search "Tilt Steering Repair" in the search section.
Nope.
Old 01-14-09, 07:12 PM
drjeckle
Driver School Candidate

I heard the crack for the first time a couple of months ago. It scared the wits out of me, and came back shortly after the radio was turned on again if there was not an hour or so. I suspect a bad capacitor, but the amp (Nak) began to pulsate a couple of weeks ago. It is now dead and I am not in the mood to reverse engineer it to repair it considering the offerings modern radios come with.

I decided to replace the Nakamichi with a JVC unit and bass amp. New speakers, and finally chase down and document the rear window heater problem while I have things torn apart. After a lot of forum research I have completed the new wiring diagrams to match the JVC to the Nak plugs and the power antenna. I will post pictures to the forum when the install is done, with a separate posting to show what I find with the window heater. The good head and changer are probably going to eBay.

On the crazy side I am considering making the new faceplate surround of of something transparent and then putting LED's behind it with 4 frequency filters connected to a speaker line so the four different color LED's will dance in step with the music behind the translucent dash filler.
Old 01-17-09, 07:59 AM
sulup
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys on all of your info.I fixed the tilt problem,now working on the audio.I had the amp checked out and was told that it is bad, so i`m looking for an amp.Also my speedo doesn`t work right.It does not regester the proper mph.Itdoesn`t move after accelerating then it`s always 20 to 30 mph slower than I`m going,any thoughts on this? Thanks Lou
Old 01-19-09, 07:47 PM
sulup
Driver School Candidate

I`m going to have mine rebuilt. Thanks to evertone who replied to my post. Lou