SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Questions, re: my recently purchased 93 SC300 (PLEASE HELP!)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-02, 08:31 AM
cny730
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions, re: my recently purchased 93 SC300 (PLEASE HELP!)

I just recently purchased a Teal 93 SC300, but I've been scouring this board for over a month now... please excuse my ignorance if I asked a question that has been answered before, but I haven't found any answers myself so far.

My Lexus has just under 84,000 miles on it, so I'm hoping I'll have it for a while... with that in mind, I plan to slowly (on a very limited budget) bring it up to mint condition.

Here's the problems I see with it so far:

1. Small 1 inch tear in rear seat (center console area) - is a quick fix to cover up or repair this eye-sore?

2. Moon roof opens nicely, but when closing it, it stops half way, if I let off on the lever, and then press it again, it closes all the way... - is there a cheap fix to this, or will it require something expensive like a new motor or something?

3. 95% of the paint is beautiful, but there are a few chips here and there, most of them are not noticable, but the biggest of them all is on the center of the hood - ouch... what's the best solution to restore these paint chips (I'm most concerned with the one on the hood)?

4. Right (passenger side) interior light (the one above the rear-view mirror) does not work, I assume I need to replace a bulb or something... can I do this on my own? Where do I get the bulb for it?

5. My previous car was a 2000 Maxima (GXE), which rode smoother and faster (I still like the Lex better though), so that's my reference point; the Lex seems to shimmer slightly (stearing column/wheel) at speeds above 80mph. So I don't feel comfortable approaching 100mph speeds (haven't gone that fast yet), whereas I would barely notice how fast I was going in my Maxima. Is this just due to the age of the car? My imagination (very possible)? Or could something be wrong?

6. Also, at high speeds (during long sweeping turns), it seems much easier to turn the car right, and I feel a slight resistance when turning the car left. ???

7. In the morning (especially), but sometimes after I leave work, the engine turns several times before starting... I assume (and hope) this is simply due to the age of the car.

8. I REALLY love this car, these are the only negatives I've found (also, my cup holder is broke), but it's not nearly (I may be exaggerating that point) as fast or quick as my Maxima was, are there any cheap performance and handling upgrades I can do to it. I can't afford to Turbo the engine or do anything dramatic. And I'm not mechanically inclined, like so many of the guys here are.

THANKS A BUNCH for reading, and hopefully for responding to ANY of the questions I listed above.

And oh, I'm taking it into the Lexus dealer next week for an oil change, I'm hoping they'll give it a look over while I'm there, but because I know little about cars, I figured I'd like to walk in there knowing more than I know now.
Old 03-01-02, 08:52 AM
Static911

Regarding question #2:

I think Lexus built that way so a passenger wouldn't close the sunroof on anybody's hand/fingers

I drive a 1993 LS400 and I have that EXACT problem.

The sunroof will start closing until about 3 inches left, then I have to click the close button again.

Static911
Old 03-01-02, 09:34 AM
ChrisSC300
Pole Position

My sunroof does that also. It stops about 1/2 way, then you have to press the button again to get it to close. I dunno of any solutions. It has done that for as long as i have owned the car.
Old 03-01-02, 02:30 PM
EmeraldLexuSC3
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

To answer your questions,
Most of what you are asking are cosmetic, in which you have
to research to get the best deal for your money.
Item number one
These are your options:
a) Cover it up with a throw blanket
b) Take it to a professional upholstery shop
c) Take out the whole rear seat and replace it with another one
My answer would be 'b'

Item number two
The is a standard feature for the Moon roof. Is not a
DEFECT PROBLEM.
It's a safety feature and a 'OPEN" position feature,
it allows you to either have it quarterly or fully opened.

Item number three
Take it to a professional paint / body shop and shop around.

Item number four
These is an easy fix that you can do your self.
The bulbs are standard and can be purchased at your local
Automotive shop i.e. Kragen, Pep Boys, Auto Zone, etc.

Item number five
It sounds like your front wheels are out of balance
Get them checked.

Item number six
It sounds like you have an alignment problem
Get it checked out, while you have your front wheels balanced

Item number seven
Get an diagnostic of your engine, it sounds like a weak battery
or it just needs a minor Tune-up.

Item number eight
You can get replacement parts like your busted cup holder
from www.irontod.com at a discounted cost.
For more power you should have bought a SC400 if you are
going to compare the 300 to your previous 2000.
As for any CHEAP upgrades, I do not think so. Start out with
a Tune-up and clean filters and go from there.

Last but not least
An oil change from your local Lexus dealer is going to cost you
anywhere from two to three times the average cost that someone
else can do for less. We are taking about a simple oil change.
You can probably do it yourself.
My suggestion to you: Do as much as you can yourself and
stay clear of the Lexus garage, unless you pay a premium
price on everything else in life.

Last edited by EmeraldLexuSC3; 03-01-02 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-01-02, 03:05 PM
cny730
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the responses, and thanks for the thorough reply ToeJam300... indeed, I would have preferred the SC400, but this was the best I could find with my limited budget.

I thought comparing an V6 Maxima to a I6 SC was a fair comparison, except for the Maxima being much newer... but honestly, I didn't expect for the SC to be as fast, but I think it should ride smoother at higher speeds... so I will definitely spring for a Tune-up, wheel alignment and wheel balancing... I'm very ignorant when it comes to car repair, so my first stop will be to the local Lexus Dealer for the Oil change. I figure, that way I can get them to print out the Vehicle history (the portion they have) and get them to make an further maintenance suggestions, I will then look elsewhere for cheaper service (because I am a working class Joe).

I do hope to educate myself during my ownership of this fine automobile, so my first project will be changing the light bulb myself (joggers, please don't laugh - I figure I have to crawl before I walk).

Thanks -

more suggestions are welcome...

does anyone have any suggestion of where I can go to get the tear in my leather fixed, and the chips in the paint fixed... prices???
Old 03-01-02, 03:22 PM
EmeraldLexuSC3
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

We all have to start somewhere, and you have found the right place for good advise and information. Your philosophy on getting as much information as you can from the dealer up front is good thinking.