SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Leatherique+++Seats repaired and redyed

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-09, 12:44 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Leatherique+++Seats repaired and redyed

Well i dont post here alot but i though i would share my experience with letherique product which works awsome.
Here are a few pictures before and after, in my owners manual previous owner wrote the interior color code is ivory but i came to find out it really wasnt, i got the wrong dye but after applying a few coats i decided "what the hell" i'm going to go ahead with the color change and i have no regrets.
this is the driver seat buttom(picture taken while the Letherique rejuvination oil is applied)

as you can see on the right side theres a small tear

armrest

this is the driver seat top on the passenger side bulster theres 2 through and through cracks what i did was i cut out a few pices of leather and aplied glue to them and inserted the pieces into the cracks, then aplied the leatherique "crack filler" waited for it to dry and then sended it down.
Driver seat

both seats in the car the passenger seat wasnt nearly as bad but it did have some minor cracking to be expected from a 1993.

steering wheel before

After
rear seat

All in all i would rate this project very difficult for me anyways having done many things myself like engine, trans and etc (i'm a mechanic) and have painted a few thing, this by far took very long time so if you plan on doing this make sure you understand that you will be without a car for 4-5 days.
Next project is my G/Fs GS i already started this is driver seat with rejuvination oil applied and lightly sanded.
going to apply dye tomorow and then will post pics in the first gen GS forum if anyone is intrested.
Heres a few shots of my car, nothing fancy and pics taken with cellphone camera.

Mod list is short and i like it that way since this is my daily driver i have a bike and another car that i drag race so this is my work horse.
Low beam 8k Hids
Supra TT chrome wheels
97 Tailights
Magnaflow mufflers
Espiler Springs
Old 01-21-09, 12:51 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Wow that's a big difference. I don't know if I have the patience to do that though lol.
Old 01-21-09, 12:57 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cherplex
Wow that's a big difference. I don't know if I have the patience to do that though lol.
trust me dude i'm exhausted
Glad to see you still around btw
Old 01-21-09, 01:04 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

wow, the seats look new
Old 01-21-09, 01:04 PM
bcp_sc300

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW!! came out like new, so all you do is oil, sand and dye??
Old 01-21-09, 01:15 PM
farquad
Lexus Test Driver

holy crap that looks good.. way better than buying new leather covers and stuff (if you have the time) good job
Old 01-21-09, 01:18 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bcp_sc300
WOW!! came out like new, so all you do is oil, sand and dye??
Yes and no, its a very long process what you get in the kit is.
Prep Agent is like a heavy duty cleaner, You use it to wet sand the seats just pretty much just taking the top layer of the dye off the seat and smothing the serface.
Once you done with this step you apply the oil massaging it in by hand this is very important step, depending on how petient you are is how soft your leather will turn out. On the SC i only left it on for 24 hours and the leather is pretty soft now, on the GS i left this stuff on now for 48hours+ i will start dying tomorow.
Third step is to use another cleaner they supply with the kit "Prestine clean" it cleans and conditions your leather, then youre to apply crack filler in my seconds project case i will not have to fix any serious holes so you just apply it with putty knife and let it dry for 20 min see what it looks like and then if you have to reapply again then i used 500 grit sand paper to go over it lightly(its very important as to how it feels when you run your hand over it if you feel improfections you will see them after you applie dye). THEn youre ready to dye,I used a cheap detail Spray gun i bought from Harbor Freight, you can also use a Paint brush the trick is to apply very thin coats so you dont get any runs with the gun same goes for the brush you will get brush marks if you not cerful. Then you have to let it sit for 48 hours and cure, you can use 500 grit sand paper to take out any runs/brush marks out and then you buff it with a clean cloth. For the steering wheel they give you clear coat i also applied it on the outside seat bolsters and armrest, but you dont really have to do this.
Old 01-21-09, 01:29 PM
bcp_sc300

Originally Posted by MDSC
Yes and no, its a very long process what you get in the kit is.
Prep Agent is like a heavy duty cleaner, You use it to wet sand the seats just pretty much just taking the top layer of the dye off the seat and smothing the serface.
Once you done with this step you apply the oil massaging it in by hand this is very important step, depending on how petient you are is how soft your leather will turn out. On the SC i only left it on for 24 hours and the leather is pretty soft now, on the GS i left this stuff on now for 48hours+ i will start dying tomorow.
Third step is to use another cleaner they supply with the kit "Prestine clean" it cleans and conditions your leather, then youre to apply crack filler in my seconds project case i will not have to fix any serious holes so you just apply it with putty knife and let it dry for 20 min see what it looks like and then if you have to reapply again then i used 500 grit sand paper to go over it lightly(its very important as to how it feels when you run your hand over it if you feel improfections you will see them after you applie dye). THEn youre ready to dye,I used a cheap detail Spray gun i bought from Harbor Freight, you can also use a Paint brush the trick is to apply very thin coats so you dont get any runs with the gun same goes for the brush you will get brush marks if you not cerful. Then you have to let it sit for 48 hours and cure, you can use 500 grit sand paper to take out any runs/brush marks out and then you buff it with a clean cloth. For the steering wheel they give you clear coat i also applied it on the outside seat bolsters and armrest, but you dont really have to do this.
damn thats alot of work.. so how much was the kit you got?
Old 01-21-09, 01:32 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bcp_sc300
damn thats alot of work.. so how much was the kit you got?
i got the kit for 2 cars and steering wheel on the SC.
You probably looking around $100-$120 to do an SC.
Old 01-21-09, 02:20 PM
bigmalik00
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very sweet. I would love to see it up close. What part of MD are you in?
Old 01-21-09, 02:44 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bigmalik00
very sweet. I would love to see it up close. What part of MD are you in?
Live in Frederick work In gaithersburg, in the process of doing the GS right now, so if you want to stop by my shop and check it out between tomorow and sat youre more then welcome to, i know the GS will turn out much better not to say the SC didnt.

Last edited by MDSC; 01-21-09 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-21-09, 02:48 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MDSC
i got the kit for 2 cars and steering wheel on the SC.
You probably looking around $100-$120 to do an SC.
nice where did you get the kit or whats it called? Do you think it Can can work to do a color change like tan - black...
Old 01-21-09, 02:50 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by YeA 2jZ
nice where did you get the kit or whats it called? Do you think it Can can work to do a color change like tan - black...
www.leatherique.net, yes for sure it would be easier to do then tan to white,only thing i kinda not liking about the white is it gets dirty quick and i'm a tech so you can imagine what my clothes look like when i go home.
Old 01-21-09, 03:01 PM
fliptrix
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

Wow thats amazing! haha.. so from what I see, is its kind of a simple process but just takes lots of time? Would you say the seats feel almost as if they were new?
Old 01-21-09, 03:04 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by fliptrix
Wow thats amazing! haha.. so from what I see, is its kind of a simple process but just takes lots of time? Would you say the seats feel almost as if they were new?
yes correct take your time and do it right and you would be happier then ever, seats feel and smell like new, steering wheel does too. Biggest step is prep and oil, you have to make sure everything is wet sanded lightly and cleaned off so the dye penetrates into the leather. In the instructions they tell you to put the oil on first i found that wet sanding first does the trick since our cars come with clear coat already on the leather, the oil has very hard time penetrating through the clear coat.

Quick Reply: Leatherique+++Seats repaired and redyed