SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Buying an sc400, mabye...

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-09, 11:40 AM
ultimate
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by racer_acks
I would be weary of the Price. Sometimes things go higher than there worth. My car is a 92 with 100k restored salvage and not nearly as in good of condition.

I bought it for $1250.
Yea I asked for lowering the price but instead he gave me new set of premium tires. Well today is the day, ill go an ask if hes working to check it out.
Old 02-16-09, 11:43 AM
Amini9
Lexus Test Driver

woot. go getem tiger!

hope to see some pics
Old 02-16-09, 04:23 PM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

price is too high for a 96 in this market, If you are getting a 400 go with a 98+ and get the extra HP/newer body and nicer interior...
Old 02-16-09, 04:51 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 382 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by INEEDANSC3
price is too high for a 96 in this market, If you are getting a 400 go with a 98+ and get the extra HP/newer body and nicer interior...
he's excited to get the one he's getting. Plus, don't tell everyone about those! Leave those to use that want them
Old 02-16-09, 10:48 PM
ultimate
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1UZ-SC
he's excited to get the one he's getting. Plus, don't tell everyone about those! Leave those to use that want them
i cant find them anywhere, im willing to get one, edit: I want to get one, with good milage, but this is the best car i found with this amount of milage!
Old 02-16-09, 11:06 PM
ultimate
Rookie

what about this one? http://www.carfax.com/organizer/generateReport.cfx
Old 02-16-09, 11:13 PM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ultimate
Cannot see without a carfax account......

Dont worry about miles so much, this is a Lexus (toyota) not some POS GM/Dodge my 300 has 150k and drives like new, my last one has over 250k on it now and still going strong, 200k+ is common and the 1UZ is just as reliable if taken care of, maybe its just me but i would sacrifice on milage to get a nicer car. After owning a 97 there is no way i would ever go back to a 92-96 again.
Old 02-16-09, 11:54 PM
ultimate
Rookie

Originally Posted by INEEDANSC3
Cannot see without a carfax account......

Dont worry about miles so much, this is a Lexus (toyota) not some POS GM/Dodge my 300 has 150k and drives like new, my last one has over 250k on it now and still going strong, 200k+ is common and the 1UZ is just as reliable if taken care of, maybe its just me but i would sacrifice on milage to get a nicer car. After owning a 97 there is no way i would ever go back to a 92-96 again.
i thought it was the 98 99 and 2000 that have the upgraded interior. and 92-97 have the old interior

good thing i got this day off from no buying the car, my schedule mixed up so i wasnt able to go and buy it 2day, but now im deciding between the 1998 and 96

heres the 1996
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

and 1998

Old 02-17-09, 12:23 AM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

i thought it was the 98 99 and 2000 that have the upgraded interior. and 92-97 have the old interior

Well yes and no, there are minor changes in the years but the MAIN changes were done in 97+ for example in 97 the body changed with new bumpers/ground effects/tails/fogs/rims etc... The interior of the 97 was similar to the 92-96 with minor changes including supposedly softer leather, a new cluster with different(whiter) backlighting,orange needles and an added mini computer thing which shows temp/ET/avg. MPG/current MPG/avg. speed etc... there is also 1 touch open on the sunroof and probably other small things im forgetting.

98 added the gated auto. shifter and the SC400 got VVTi and about a 30hp increase (up to 290hp) and a 5 speed automatic.

99/2k got a 3 spoke steering wheel and perforated leather

y2k got a sunvisor with garage door opener built in.

Im sure there are other minor changes but those are what i can think of just off the top of my head right now.

Last edited by IOWNALEXUS; 02-17-09 at 12:29 AM.
Old 02-17-09, 12:29 AM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

good thing i got this day off from no buying the car, my schedule mixed up so i wasnt able to go and buy it 2day, but now im deciding between the 1998 and 96

Hey man GET THE 98!!!!
Just from reading the description it would lead me to believe that its an RSP (Royal sapphire pearl, same as mine) because its the only color that could be mistaken for purple and the only one that came with a 2 tone interior that im aware of and its very RARE especially being a 98 and a 400, dont even hesitate and go buy it IMMEDIATLY!! You will kick yourself if you dont!!
I have only ever seen one other 98 RSP SC400 and at the time if i would have known how rare it was i would have sold a kidney to get it LOL!

Here is a pic of mine so you can see what an awesome color it is!!

Last edited by IOWNALEXUS; 02-17-09 at 12:44 AM.
Old 02-17-09, 01:06 AM
ultimate
Rookie

Originally Posted by ineedansc3
hey man get the 98!!!!
Just from reading the description it would lead me to believe that its an rsp (royal sapphire pearl, same as mine) because its the only color that could be mistaken for purple and the only one that came with a 2 tone interior that im aware of and its very rare especially being a 98 and a 400, dont even hesitate and go buy it immediatly!! You will kick yourself if you dont!!
I have only ever seen one other 98 rsp sc400 and at the time if i would have known how rare it was i would have sold a kidney to get it lol!

Here is a pic of mine so you can see what an awesome color it is!!
wtf no way, i have to go check it out immediately!!! I love blue!
Old 02-17-09, 01:38 AM
bangdangvn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I would buy the 98 but you have to factor in the DH and tax and what not. If money wasn't an issue go with the 98.
Old 02-17-09, 02:07 AM
ultimate
Rookie

im just worried about the milage and what i need to replace after a long shot and how much it will cost me
Old 02-17-09, 06:41 AM
RolxuSC400
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im just worried about the milage and what i need to replace after a long shot and how much it will cost me
Do your homework on here you'll know what you need to replace/fix/change by reading the stickies on the forum. That should give u an idea if its in your budget. Rarity means nothing if it turns out to be a POS and a money pit. You'll have the rarest SC planter box on your block if your not thorough!

And based on the description "purple" i'd be careful, poor repaints with "RSP" can be purple. Make sure you look at that car carefully they should be that deep blue color and hard to mistake for "purple". All the ones that I have seen both on the Supra and SC have been blue.
Old 02-17-09, 07:50 AM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

No need to be overly worried about the milage, its actually low miles for its age. There may be some maint. needed such as fluid changes/belts etc..
I would say that it should be in good shape considering its a 98 with low miles just look it over with common sense, i HIGHLY DOUBT it was repainted like the other person suggested most of the time its just the morons at the dealer have no clue what they are talking about.
Go look at it ASAP, test drive it,buy it and then take some pics for us to look at!

Quick Reply: Buying an sc400, mabye...