SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Question for everyone about OIL and FILTERS

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-02, 05:22 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for everyone about OIL and FILTERS

I know some of you guys have put a lot of effort into finding the right oil and filter for your car. I've decided that since I'm dawning on 80,000 miles now I should start changing the oil more frequently. I don't use nor want to use synthetic unless there's something somewhere I can see or read that proves I'm better off with it.
Note: this will go on the FAQ (I'm going to start compiling one for CL), so if you know of good info sites, link 'em!
Old 03-03-02, 05:56 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use M1 tri-synthetic 5W-30 and the M1 102 hi-efficiency filter, plenty of studies are available which prove you're better off with the synthetic, but i've been a user since my turbo Buick days.
Old 03-04-02, 06:03 AM
joelchicago
Rookie

Don't switch to synthetic at 80K miles unless you want leaks. With the detergents in synthetic oils, a LOT of people develop leaks from their engine gaskets once they switch. Stick with good ol' dyno oil.

Castrol is my favorite - high Zinc content and good resistance to breaking down. A friend of mine worked for Pennzoil for years and said that the top 5 are similar in their makeup, so basically Valvoline, Pennzoil, Castrol, etc are all good. I still like Castrol - I saw the numbers on it somewhere on the web.

For filters, AC Delco and Purolator make the best cheap filters - they have the best anti-drainback valve, which is number 1 to look at for engine weat at startup. Fram DoubleGuard are supposedly pretty good, and WIX are also very good. I use AC. I used to use Fram, but noise at startup was bad because the filter let the oil go back to the pan. No problems with AC so far, and I drive a lot of high mileage cars, like my current 180K mile SC.

Good luck.
Old 03-04-02, 06:15 AM
CDALTON
Driver

Smile

Stay with The Toyota filter. I think Lexus knows what there doing? I use Mobil 1 synthetic 5w-30. How often? It all depends on how hard you drive. My Lex is my second vehicle, so I drive hard. I change mine every 2 to 3 thousand miles. Now my old Chevy truck I just sold with 176,000, I would do every 5 to 6 thousand. My new Tacoma I will swith over to synthentic after 20,000. Think of your oil as being the blood for your car, KEEP IT CLEAN. Oil is a hell of alot cheaper than rebuilding your motor.
Old 03-04-02, 03:28 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Does anyone know what kind of oil and filters the Lexus dealership use? At 52,000 miles, should I just stick with what they've been using?

I also get a lot of conflicting views on frequency of an oil change. The Lexus technician, surprisingly enough, said every 5000-6000 miles as does the sticker on my hood. But people here at CL, and the Toyota techs say ever 3000 miles.
Old 03-04-02, 04:32 PM
cupete
Pole Position

I changed my oil about 60 miles ago with Castrol 10-40W, I think about $1.79 per bottle, and Fram, about $2 something.

I try to change it every 3000 miles, I've used synthetic blend oil but didn't see any value so, I changed back to normal. It still costs a lot to change oil every 3000 miles, roughly $15+.

I know a shop that charges $15 for an oil change, why do I change oil myself? I don't know, I guess I like working on my car?

Peter~
Old 03-04-02, 04:43 PM
SCV8
Instructor

As far as how often,I think it depends on how you drive,remember when the engine is cold,you can have up to a 1:1 a/f ratio,and that makes for alot of unburned crud.That's why I try and not step on it very much at all until the motor warms up.I look at the oil,and if it smells harsh,like acid-exhaust,then I change it.
I use Castrol(what Toyota uses@dealer)since this motor is way too tight to need Kendall 20/50 or anything,and a synthetic is pretty overkill imo.
I've never had an oil related failure in some 20 years of driving hard.
Good to know about the filters,didn't know who was using the valve these days.Champ filters are pretty cheap-o looking,but they make most of them anyways for the other companies,and are quite good.
My rating of some non-synthetics from best to ...
Kendall (20/50 is the best,other weights are ok too)
Valvoline
Castrol GTX
Quaker State
Pennzoil(not reccomended)
Havoline(not reccomended)
Old 03-05-02, 01:46 AM
black sc
Pole Position

Mobil regular oil is excellent also not, Mobil 1 syntetic. Quaker State and Penzoil are worse and equal in my book. They are the same company also.
Old 03-05-02, 05:37 AM
joelchicago
Rookie

Guys, not to start a flame war here, but I think some people here need to do some research. Yes, M1 filters are good. Lexus and Toyota filters are made by someone, just like stock Honda filters are just Mobil filters.

Anyone who backs Fram filters other than DoubleGard needs to look at what they are doing each time they start their car. OUCH. You don't have to spend a lot of money, but do it right. A link was just posted here a few weeks ago about oil filter comparisons which explains this very clearly.

Mobil regular oil is nothing spectacular, and I'd never keep it in my car over 3K miles. My father-in-law worked at Mobil 40 years (just retired). He would ONLY use their synthetic stuff, never the regular. He just said it wasn't that good, and the synth stuff would run 7500 miles between changes without issue. Since he always ran to high mileage with his cars doing the 7500 changes, I tend to believe him. New Vettes come with M1 synthetic oil. My friend at Pennzoil said in their lab, they noticed NO difference in engine protection between Castrol, Valvoline, Pennzoil, Quaker State, and Havoline. It's all marketing and regular maintenance, folks, as much I'd not want to believe it (I had a bad experience with Quaker State, but I think it may have been my own fault). My 300zX had 162K on it when I sold it, and it had only Quaker State oil changes. The engine was totally clean, and now my brother drives it daily.

Somewhere on the web there are a few really good oil chemical comparisons. I crack up reading here that some people recommend Valvoline but not Pennzoil, etc. The fact is they are VERY similar, to the point that it pretty much doesn't matter. Do the research please, don't spout your opinion as fact. The most important thing is to change with a popular brand oil (Valvoline, Pennzoil, Castrol, etc) regularly. Keep it clean, and your car will love you.

Dealerships will always say to run 5K to 7.5K miles between oil changes. You can do that with the newer oils without them breaking down as much, but the engine won't last as long because the oil is dirty. They would love for you to come buy another one sooner than later! It's a fact that more frequent changes = more miles. My grandpa used to tell me that. I didn't listen til I noticed his 1970s cars (like a 76 T-bird) were running nearly 200K miles on the original drivetrain - he'd sell them running just fine. No one else I knew got more than about 100-120K on those cars - ever! He kept the oil clean and did that over and over with his cars - he changed his oil every 1500 miles. Excessive, yes, but he got the miles, and almost everyone was a locally driven mile - he farmed, so no commute!

Synth people know they can run 6K miles without a problem on their oil before it gets that dirty, and that's because it doesn't break down like dino oil. Oh, and I've found that I can go to Wal-Mart here and get dino oil for about $1 a quart instead of $1.80 at Pep Boys and other local car places. Save yourself some cash guys! I just bought 2 cases of Castrol 5w#0 (all I run in my Lex, even at 180K miles), at 96 cents a quart. Beautiful.

Flame away, but have real data please.
Old 03-05-02, 05:40 AM
joelchicago
Rookie

Here are the URLs:

Filters:
http://www.frankhunt.com/FRANK/corve...lterstudy.html

Oil:

Synthetic comparison:
http://www.knowyouroil.com/dyno.htm

Din oil:
http://www.go-synthetic.com/compare_...mpare_oils.htm
Old 03-05-02, 12:21 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you Joel for that data. I haven't heard any mention of the seal breakdown in any of these though, I wonder if it really happens. Joel, did your dad ever mention anything about his syn oil causing leaks?
I think I'm going to look around and find what oils I can get around here... But I'm not sure if I can get them to put different oil in the car, changing it myself won't work. I will stick with the stock filter though.
Old 03-17-02, 01:49 PM
marcman18
Driver

I always use 5W30 Synthetic and A Fram Double Guard. I switched at 80k and I have had no leaks so far. My engine did get a bit quieter.
Old 03-18-02, 10:27 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I run M1 synthetic. I change the filter every 2000 miles and change the oil every 6000 miles (every time you change the filter, you have to add a quart to top it back off).

The oil never looks black, and has always looked clean and clear as far as oil should look new.

I switched to synthetic cold turkey at around 90K miles - No leaks. You have to have a really dirty block to get leaks from switching to synthetic. That excuse is more of a marketing ploy. If your paraniod, run a 50/50 blend and change the filter every 1000 miles for 3000 miles, and yo u can safely switch to full synthetic.

Most all name brand oils are the same. Though I always have used Fram filters, I will most likely switch to Toyota OEM.
Old 03-18-02, 11:25 AM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

I assume you jack the car up and go in from underneath.. I've never gone down there looking for the oil stuff, and getting the car jacked up with the floorjack isn't easy because you have to reach all the way back to the suspension brace. Does that plastic cover under there have to get taken off? or do you do it another way?
Old 03-22-02, 07:49 PM
007lexus
Driver

Hey guys,
I switched to synth M1 and M105 filter at 110k. Haven't seen any leaks. I did not know this fact about leaks developing when you switch to syn oil at high mileage until now.

Where does one look to see if leaks are developing?

Keith and MadMax, i use 10w30 and sometimes 5w30. what do you guys recommend? Also I notice that my syn oil gets dirty quick, not sure why. Any info provided will be appreciated.

I know that there are different levels of classifications for dirty oil, but I would like to have a visual illustration to see. Keith and/or anyone else can someone post some pictues about syn oil ??

I'll post some pics of my oil.

thanks,

Quick Reply: Question for everyone about OIL and FILTERS