Befuddled with 350Z wheel fitment...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-09, 01:30 PM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by felixsc300
Thanks for the info everyone.

The previous owner installed aftermarket wheels on the SC, should there be any possible modifications I should pay attention to? I'm going to give it another try in a couple hours.
Is there a set of hubrings on the hub already from the old aftermarket wheels then? Take them off if there's some on there already.
Old 02-12-09, 02:36 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kyoso23
Is there a set of hubrings on the hub already from the old aftermarket wheels then? Take them off if there's some on there already.
I think there is, not too sure. I just went outside and snapped some pictures of the current aftermarket wheel on the hub. My friend took some pictures of the actual hub itself, which he'll upload when he gets home.

This is how the current wheel sits with the hub:

In the meantime, can someone post a picture of their stock hub? My friend has mine and he'll upload them ASAP.
Old 02-12-09, 02:51 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you have aftermarket wheels on there, you probably have hubcentric rings too. Make sure when you took the wheel off the hub, the little plastic ring isn't stuck on right around the hub. That could prevent the wheel from going all the way on.
Old 02-12-09, 03:31 PM
baekpro
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 17" 350z wheels on my sc400. It seems like wheels align to center as you tightening nuts
becasue 350z wheel are designed to use acorn(or curvy) type nuts. But I had vibration above 60mph.
Maybe it's just my wheel being out of balance or damaged.

I looked all of ebay shop and send them email but none of them had ID=60.1/OD=66.1mm hubrings,
so I purchased 60.1/67mm instead. I think 1010tire(?) carrys correct size for nissan wheel on lexus hub
but it cost about $40. Ebay stuff is about $12. I purchased ebay plastic hubrings and sanded it to fit on 350z wheel.
I still get slight vibration above 60mph even with hubrings installed.

Plus, hubcentric rings can't be seen with wheel mounted.
You need to unmount wheels to see if hub rings are installed or take off center cap and see if there anything btw wheel and bore.
It's either a black plastic or aluminum type ring.

Last edited by baekpro; 02-12-09 at 03:34 PM. Reason: width adjustment
Old 02-12-09, 03:45 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

I see a small ring, but it's not aluminum or plastic so I don't think it's a hub ring (pictures 2 and 3).

The first picture shows the 350Z wheel pressed flat against the hub, with no lugnuts installed. The second and third are of the hub itself, is it stock?

I think that whenever the previous owner of the car installed the set of aftermarket wheels they added some type of hub adapter because the inner thing (with holes for the bolts plus two small ones, shown above) moves independently of the wheel studs/bolts. Notice how they aren't centered.

Last edited by felixsc300; 02-12-09 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-12-09, 03:51 PM
HellFish
Lexus Test Driver

lol. thats the rotor. its not gonna be centered. it looks to me like theres a hubcentric adapter on there. and that its rusted on. knock that thing off, and your 350z wheels will be on like donkey kong.
Old 02-12-09, 03:53 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tularisgp
lol. thats the rotor. its not gonna be centered. it looks to me like theres a hubcentric adapter on there. and that its rusted on. knock that thing off, and your 350z wheels will be on like donkey kong.
Lol I see what you're talking about, how do I knock it off? WD-40 and a flat-head screwdriver? It is rusted on...
Old 02-12-09, 04:12 PM
HellFish
Lexus Test Driver

pretty much. just be careful with the hammering. you dont wanna beat up on the rotor or the studs. WD-40 works, or PB Blaster, im partial to PB.
Old 02-12-09, 04:25 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BLK13X
Get a set of hubcentric hub rings.

Nissan hubs are usually larger than the ones of a Soarer/SC... 66mm (or thereabouts for the Nissan) vs. Toyota's 60.1mm. Likewise aftermarket wheels which usually have a centrebore of 73mm or so.
That would not keep the wheel from being bolted on to the vehicle correctly. Hub rings are just use to eliminate balancing issues.
Old 02-12-09, 04:28 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by felixsc300
I see a small ring, but it's not aluminum or plastic so I don't think it's a hub ring (pictures 2 and 3).

The first picture shows the 350Z wheel pressed flat against the hub, with no lugnuts installed. The second and third are of the hub itself, is it stock?

I think that whenever the previous owner of the car installed the set of aftermarket wheels they added some type of hub adapter because the inner thing (with holes for the bolts plus two small ones, shown above) moves independently of the wheel studs/bolts. Notice how they aren't centered.
Youve got a hub centric spacer. Just hammer that thing out with a flat head and a hammer.
Old 02-12-09, 04:34 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot, the hubcentric spacer would be the small, round thing in the red, correct?

Old 02-12-09, 04:38 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yessir! Post some pics up tonight once you mount those badboys on!
Old 02-12-09, 04:50 PM
davidv433
Lead Lap

yup, take all 4 of them out and u should be fine. just be careful taking them out cus theyre probably brittle and theyll break. little wd40 and a small flathead to the back will pop them right off. take some pics when u install the wheels.
Old 02-12-09, 05:26 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Im glad you finally got this worked out and i hope that you will do some more research and searching if you do ANY other things to your car YOURSELF.

im not trying to be a d*ck but this was a very simple problem and a simple solution. its not a bad thing that you didnt know this. the positive is that now you know and all it shows is that you need to do a lot of reading. its the only way to get good at anything

keep roaming the forums and adsorbing info like a sponge. there is a ton of good info on here that will help you save big bucks in the future.
Old 02-12-09, 07:28 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JspecSC3
That would not keep the wheel from being bolted on to the vehicle correctly. Hub rings are just use to eliminate balancing issues.
Suppose I read the whole thread incorrectly. Oh well.

To OP hope you find a way to fit them properly, pics when fitted

Quick Reply: Befuddled with 350Z wheel fitment...