SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

need help guys mkiii vs. sc300 pros and cons

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-09, 09:19 PM
thebadz32
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry need help guys mkiii vs. sc300 pros and cons

well i have an 7mgte mkiii thats in great shape its somehwat rare but i have bad luck with the 7m's i used to own a sc300 and i loved it all tho it was an automatic. Heres my thoughts i love the look and the body mods u can do to the sc. i like the way the supra looks as well but theres not alot of body mod on it u can do that i like. Im about to buy a wrecked sc300 5-spd for cheep that i was gonna use as a daily since my mkiii is always broke. due to a certin problem that keeps happinging with my 7m thats freshly rebuilt.

Heres what i cant decide on so i want to hear some pros and cons of both cars and on what i want to do.

plan one buy the wrecked sc drive it daily for a while then towards the end of the summer pull the 2jge and put it in the mkiii and do the get thing =).

plan 2 buy the wrecked sc and fix it useing the money from the supra that i have 9 mounths of work in and a ton of money prolly worth between 4 and 5 k. i have some atachment to this car now but the sc needs alot of work one new quater panel head light and fender then paint and some other body work so its pretty costly.

plan 3 buy the wrecked sc sell the mkiii buy an sc thats in decent shape thats an automatic and swap the 5-spd out of the wrecked one into it and have a stock car with no more money to do anything with.

Im really confused and dont know what to do it would be hard to part with the mkii because of the time effort and money i have into it and i just dont know what to do i wanna hear some pros and cons of both cars. im gonna put this thread on a few other sites as well and see the out come.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 02-17-09, 10:28 PM
Slow_Sc3
Lead Lap

iv had 6 mk3 supra's and 1 sc300, ill never own another mk3 in my life!!!!

mk3 < sc3

7m is junk everytime you start the car you are praying that it wont knock itself to death!
Old 02-17-09, 11:02 PM
thebadz32
Driver

Originally Posted by Slow_Sc3
iv had 6 mk3 supra's and 1 sc300, ill never own another mk3 in my life!!!!

mk3 < sc3

7m is junk everytime you start the car you are praying that it wont knock itself to death!

lol yeah thats y im done with the 7 m but i have an extremely clean mkiii and i dont wanna get rid of it but at the same time i do lol
Old 02-17-09, 11:08 PM
eHIGH
Lead Lap

Easy decision for me. The SC is a perfect car for me (even if it's a little slow in stock form).

Good luck on what ever you decide though
Old 02-17-09, 11:55 PM
FrshPrince
Rookie

MKIII parts are cheaper then the SC300 parts for sure. 7MGTE motors are good except for the head gasket problem. Other then that I wouldn't know a flaw of a MKIII besides it's weight, but then again the SC is no feather weight either. If the SC has some damage, it probaly has sagging doors and worn LCA bushings. But getting to the point stick with your car because your probaly going to end up spending more to fix up another car. Also what is the certain problem that keeps happening to your car? Because it might be cheaper to fix that then gettting another car.
Old 02-18-09, 12:21 AM
thebadz32
Driver

Originally Posted by FrshPrince
MKIII parts are cheaper then the SC300 parts for sure. 7MGTE motors are good except for the head gasket problem. Other then that I wouldn't know a flaw of a MKIII besides it's weight, but then again the SC is no feather weight either. If the SC has some damage, it probaly has sagging doors and worn LCA bushings. But getting to the point stick with your car because your probaly going to end up spending more to fix up another car. Also what is the certain problem that keeps happening to your car? Because it might be cheaper to fix that then gettting another car.
its a na shell that i did a turbo swap on, i did everything right includeing a full stock rebuilt with new pistons rings bearings metal hg turned crank and everything i mean its literally a freak of nature pretty much stock and im pulling all over ss camars sti's and everything but heres my problem aperently somethin is out of ballance in the motor the flywheel bolts have back out and broke 3 times now in 3 thousand miles the last 2 times its only tanken about a week for it to happen and the last time i used arp bolts locktite red and torgued them down to what arp told me to torque them down to and im just not willing to take that motor out take it apart and have it balanced.

If i do decide to keep this car im gonna pull this motor and do a boosted 2jge swap and ill be tryin to buy the lexus anyway because i do need a daily the supra is just gonna sit for a while prolly untill after import alliance
Old 02-18-09, 10:17 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

SC3/4 is a better car than an MK3 in any aspect except cost and price
Old 02-18-09, 11:08 AM
pogoism9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

99% of the issues with the MKIII is the driver. If you properly rebuild the 7M and torque the head bolts to 80 or so lb/ft and you should be fine. The problem is, people think they are race cars. For the record, my MK3 weighs a tad less than my SC.
Old 02-18-09, 11:39 AM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SC is such more modern car compared to mkIII. I owned mkIII and sold it for sc300, no comparison there.

On MKIII everything seems outdated,engine especialy.MkIII crowd worship the 2jzge/gte because they are built better and stronger without quirks.I remember starting my 7m and it sounded like tractor,lol

MkIII seem to be a tad heavier than sc's ,i know you think i'm crazy for saying that ,but the weight lies in the metal.The metal is so much thicker in supra,yet the difference in weight was added to sc's because of all the extras,and creature comforts.

SC is a lot wider than mkIII and thats what makes it look better.

But thats just my opinion.

I dont know what to tell you man......but if you buy the SC for a daily driver,you will need to spend MORE money to keep it on the road ,lol
Old 02-18-09, 03:22 PM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

I am gonna chime in here since ive owned 2 MKIII's and 2 SC300's , i owned a 91 turbo/targa/5-speed which was CLEAN and i sold it because it was a money pit, i also owned a clean 92 turbo/sunroof/5-speed that was black with black (dark shadow) interior and i LOVED that car, i drove all the way to texas for it but it also turned into a money pit. The 7m is JUNK and OLD hell it doesn't even have a serpentine belt system on it, every time i turned around something else broke and cost hundreds of dollars to fix.

On the other hand both of my SC's have been great, the 2JZ is just a better more reliable platform. The first one i sold to a friend because it was boring to drive and i wanted a 97+ body, it has over 260K on it now and still runs strong as ever. Now with my 97 i havent had any problems (knock on wood) its still somewhat boring but i have seen thats easily curable with a 1jz swap!
Old 02-18-09, 04:17 PM
slowmedown
Rookie

my previous car was an 89' turbo with a 7m. i never had any issues with it although. i do think the sc has a better chassis than the supra feels tighter and alot smoother even with twice the miles of the supra. one thing about the sc is you can bolt on alot of mkIV stuff. i think it comes down to cost and what engine is in which car. imo i love the way both cars look
Old 02-18-09, 04:48 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

the SC is more modern then the mk3 but stock b*tching about how old and outdated the motor is. with a proper rebuild, dont forget a bigger oil pump feed pipe, it runs just fine. BHG is an easy fix too. do it right once and forget about it.

btw the supra is heavier then the SC. my friends 90 turbo/targa/5sp/1jz single is heavier then my 93 sc300 5spd. by over 100lb easy. dont remember exactly anymore. we weighed the cars a while ago.

i have a friend that is on his 24th mk3...yes 24th. he buys and sells them mostly to make money. it can be a money pit if you dont know your face from a wrench.

btw a 7m DOES have a serpentine belt system. it just has more then one belt unlike the 1/2jz.
Old 02-18-09, 04:59 PM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mkIII with a 1jz or 2jz-ge or gte
Old 02-18-09, 05:10 PM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I know a guy who swapped a MK3 with a 1JZ, car was repainted, its a nice car, but it is "outdated"
Old 02-18-09, 05:20 PM
DrakeMK3
Driver

Having owned 4 (count'em 4) MK3 turbo 5 speeds, I'd say SC hands down. The SC is much more modern and has a better platform to begin with. I was a moderator over at supramania, so this opinion isn't from someone who had a passing fling with MK3's.

-Drake

Quick Reply: need help guys mkiii vs. sc300 pros and cons