SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Do you wave to other SC you see?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-02, 07:24 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Do you wave to other SC you see?

I tried whenever I can.

Saw one yesterday while driving home. I know the car was just bought recently due to a temp. plate in the back window. It was a newer version SC400 with newer spoiler and brake lights. It turn in to an out door mall near my home. I follow in the parking lot, park far away so the owner wouldn't think that I am stalking. Turned out is was a lady dropped off her son to a Kung Fu Class. It happen that when she going out of the lot she passed my car. I was standing there smilling and nodded my head as to say hi. The owner didn't even look over acknowledging my white SC with me standing there. Don't understand this at all. I seen many SC owner male and female wave at me on the highway/freeway even before I started waving back...
Why some people are so stuck up.
Old 03-05-02, 09:03 AM
Red93sc400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just like in the early days of the BMW 2002, Datsun 240Z and Corvette (not today sadly) I blink my front lamps when I see an SC in oncoming traffic and give a thumbs up when passing alongside.

Sadly, however, is the response of the light blink forthcoming. I usually get a knod or smile with the thumbs up.

It appears to me, in general, that unlike the old days of the BMW and Corvette owners, the general Lexus ownership does not feel to be part of a tite knit family or community of fellow enthusiasts.

I suppose, the typical Lexus owner (perhaps SC owners excluded) simply views themselves as simply as driving a Lexus.

In those early days of the marques mentioned above and their "normal" light blink acknowledgment are missed by me.

Ahhhh... time goes on.
Old 03-05-02, 09:10 AM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

I like the whole team mentality. I would wave if there was anyone to wave to. There is only one other sc around here and I haven't seen it lately. But who knows. Maybe on some long drive you'll pass me, red 93, and I in my red 93 sc 300 will gladly blink, wave, nod, and honk as our paths cross for two seconds on some highway in the continental US of A as I am proud to own one and share the entusiasm with anyone else who happens to be as outgoing. To the rest of 'em ah forget about it.
Old 03-05-02, 04:29 PM
cupete
Pole Position

How embarrasing?

I would feel like a total nerd, waving my hand on every SC I see on the road. Do you guys know how many SCs are here in Los Angeles? I see about 3-4 daily and the drivers look like they are in their 40s+. Of course, I find myself from time to time to try to waive at the SC drivers, but what if they just ignore me?

Peter~
Old 03-05-02, 04:45 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see at least three other SCs around here everyday, and not always the same ones. A lot of them are indeed driven by 40+ old women or 50+ old men---all in stock form of course. I'll give them the friendly look down as they pass me or I pass them, but alot of the time they are baffled that I'm driving an SC. Untill I get rims, I suspect they all think I'm driving my mommy's car (unless they hear my stereo).

I only see younger SC drivers in the south bay, like San Jose, in which case I'd say there is an unspoken camaraderie between us all. I was sitting in the parking lot of my bank last weekend and a red 98 SC300 pulled up in the spot next to me. Some philipino guy in his mid-late twenties, first thing he said when he looked over at me was "So how do you like it?". We talked a bit about our cars (he thought the 400 was a better performance car than his 300 and didn't know about the SC300-Supra connection). The other day I saw a new SC400 in town. A white 98+, it looked sweet. Some high school kid was driving it and I could tell it was his car. What's funny is mjames lives like 4 miles from me and I've yet to see him drive around town in his SC on dubs.
Old 03-05-02, 04:48 PM
ForNgoods
Lead Lap

Well i cant say i go as far as waving to them but i always check out their ride and cant help but think to myself "damn that's a nice car " Most SC owners i've seen look like they are 40+ also. I think i've only seen 3 to 5 younger sc owners.
Old 03-06-02, 12:47 AM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by ForNgoods
"damn that's a nice car "
lol I say to myself same word
Old 03-06-02, 01:50 AM
silversc3
Rookie

haha, i totally agree with all of you

everytime i see and SC i'm on it's jock checking it out for as long as i can, even if it's bone stock, and i'm just like "goddamn that's a tight looking car"

i drove my SC in LA for about 2 years, and i don't think anyone's ever waved to me, and i saw like 5 SC's every day, middle aged men and women

i'm back in the bay, but i haven't felt any love yet from fellow sc owners... i just don't see as many as i used to

it would be dope tho if lex owners did say wassup, not that it matters that much, but it's a plus, ya konw?
Old 03-06-02, 01:53 AM
silversc3
Rookie

oh and i get HELLA more love from everybody else though... i don't think an SC's been jocked in LA for 9 years or so, cause you always see the car that just came out last week there

but now everyone's checking out my car, it's kinda sad, but true
Old 03-07-02, 06:55 PM
machinegt
Pole Position

i love the body of the SC, and when i got one, i thought it was ironic, that now that i'm inside it driving it, i can't actually "see" the car since i'm _inside_ it!

i guess u can't have ur cake and eat it at the same time. haeh!

(unless you play gran turismo 2 where u can drive and watch the SC, too bad gran turismo 3 doesn't have any, but i saw they will have the sc430 in the next gran turismo, can't wait!)

oh yah i always give a nod to a fellow sc driver, but only 1 person has acknowledged it.

Last edited by machinegt; 03-07-02 at 06:57 PM.
Old 03-07-02, 07:11 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

I always try to give a quick flash. If a see a nice one parked somewhere where the guy is getting in, or if I pull up to them at a light, i'll talk to them. Last time I did that, last week, Emerald 92 with some 2K parts and chrome 18" Zenetti's guy was a NYC cop, he bought it as a 907A title at the police auction, and i'll be doing his major service for him, and he'll be hooking me up with some 2K parts he has, guess it was worth it to go into Speedworld looking for him, his car was parked out in front. Two SC's i've pulled over have offered to buy my chrome rims I had on there, and two other guys have offered to buy my SC, theirs were in inferior shape. I feel as more and more time passes since production ceased on these cars, they become a little more special with each passing day, and I like to B.S. with fellow owners who hopefully appreciate these great cars as I do. I've owned 24 cars, trucks, and motorcycles, and I never did 'the flash' until I bought an SC.
Old 03-07-02, 07:46 PM
cupete
Pole Position

i guess u can't have ur cake and eat it at the same time. haeh!
I check out my ride as much as possible on the road. You can do this by looking at the reflection from the car next to you. Black color SUV's work the best. I love the way my car looks through the reflection and if I am lucky, I could see myself looking back at myself...

Peter~
Old 03-07-02, 08:05 PM
Dee_seal
Rookie

I have yet to wave at another SC400 owner, I went to the dealership and I know for sure I don't exactly fit there target market, I wish I did then I would be able to afford a GS430 :-)

But the RX7 guys seam to always wave, when driving my Rx7 and I wave Iam pretty sure I will get a wave back once a fellow rx7 enthuiast and I stopped at a gas station and chatted about our cars and we had never met before.

Well I will keep looking for SC owners to acknowledge or as I say back-a-yard, ale-up !!!
Old 03-07-02, 08:27 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by cupete

I check out my ride as much as possible on the road. You can do this by looking at the reflection from the car next to you. Black color SUV's work the best. I love the way my car looks through the reflection and if I am lucky, I could see myself looking back at myself...

Peter~

The best is looking at your car through metallic tinted all-glass buildings. There's this strip of freeway in Walnut Creek that I get a 4 second glimpse of me driving my car through. There's another in Foster City, but I don't go there much.
Old 03-07-02, 08:39 PM
cupete
Pole Position

The best is looking at your car through metallic tinted all-glass buildings.
How could I forget about this? You are totally right about the best place to check out your own vehicle , I do this a lot when I was working in Downtown LA. I found this metallic tinted all-glass building at the corner of 4th and San Pedro, if I remember correctly.

Peter~

Quick Reply: Do you wave to other SC you see?