SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Newbie in need of advice (SC300/IS300)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-09, 05:20 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1UZ-SC
I'm kind of shocked that more SC people would pick an IS300 over their car. I just don't get it
we like our cars but when you need function the SC is NOT it...period.

having to use my SC during college for 3 years i would definitely NOT recommend it. snowboarding or camping trips in the SC are out of question too.

my buddy's e30 bmw fits more tires just in the back seat and trunk then my car as a whole. lol.

or trunks are a joke. i can fit 6 tires total in my car. 4 in the back, 2 in the front seat. maybe 6 in the back if i actually remove the back seat. the e30 fit 8 tires in the backs seat and trunk. and still room for 3 more. 1 in the back and 2 on the front.

obviously the car was not made as the tire hauler but its still not a practical car....especially when slammed. i still drive mine, rain or shine...or snow, but if i had an option i would not.
Old 02-24-09, 05:22 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 385 Likes on 227 Posts

how many tires can you fit in an IS? hmm?
Old 02-24-09, 05:34 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

^^^a lot more then in an SC. at least 2 in the trunk. 4 in the back seat and 2 in the front seat. thats 8. maybe even 4 in the trunk. depends on wheel/tire size
Old 02-24-09, 05:45 PM
bangdangvn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OH NOOOO the Leather seattttsssssss!!!! haha
Old 02-24-09, 05:52 PM
eHIGH
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in the position to buy a new DD. I had the choice between ANYTHING that I could afford. The limit was somewhere north of $30,000.

I still couldn't get away from the SC... lol

So instead I found a practically new SC, and couldn't care less about "missing" anything else. I got what I love.

Still wish 98 offered a 5 speed tho.

Last edited by eHIGH; 02-24-09 at 05:55 PM.
Old 02-24-09, 06:04 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

If you live where it snows alot, I would reconsider getting either of those. RWD sucks in the snow. Period. Even worse if you are lowered or don't have proper snow tires on stock wheels.

If you live where there isn't any snow and plan to daily drive the car, the IS300 is a clear choice. Pavel is right in that the SC is not practical at all. If you have more then one person riding with you, get the sedan.

I actually test drove a 5spd IS300 several years back but they were too expensive at the time (20-25k on average), but now I think you can find one for around $10k which is what some SC's are still going for today.

Bottom line, if it's a daily driver, get the IS.
Old 02-24-09, 08:56 PM
Ryeno
Banned

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
having to use my SC during college for 3 years i would definitely NOT recommend it. snowboarding or camping trips in the SC are out of question too.
Depends. If your sc actually looks like your sig then i can't see it being very practical for you. My sc on the other hand is in almost mint condition and all the chicks dig it. For where i live i wouldnt be invited to certain houses without owning a bmw,lexus,benz,audi,range rover etc.

my buddy's e30 bmw fits more tires just in the back seat and trunk then my car as a whole. lol.

or trunks are a joke. i can fit 6 tires total in my car. 4 in the back, 2 in the front seat. maybe 6 in the back if i actually remove the back seat. the e30 fit 8 tires in the backs seat and trunk. and still room for 3 more. 1 in the back and 2 on the front.

obviously the car was not made as the tire hauler but its still not a practical car....especially when slammed. i still drive mine, rain or shine...or snow, but if i had an option i would not.
I actually like not having room. It gives a legit way to turn down people for rides and leach of others.(since i hate paying for gas)
Old 02-25-09, 07:52 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ryeno
Depends. If your sc actually looks like your sig then i can't see it being very practical for you. My sc on the other hand is in almost mint condition and all the chicks dig it. For where i live i wouldnt be invited to certain houses without owning a bmw,lexus,benz,audi,range rover etc.

I actually like not having room. It gives a legit way to turn down people for rides and leach of others.(since i hate paying for gas)
what does your car being mint and chicks "digging" it have anything to do with practicality? im sorry that you are friends with/know people that judge you by the car you drive. maybe you should reconsider who you know. its the same up by me in Lake Forest, IL. rich stuck up kids

so u like having a small car because you dont want to give rides or drive people around?

how old are you because everything you have mentioned so far is high school type of drama excuses/reasoning.

btw rwd doesnt suck in the winted. dima you need to learn how to drive JK. btw a set of blizzacks does wonders.
Old 02-25-09, 10:27 AM
eHIGH
Lead Lap

so u like having a small car because you dont want to give rides or drive people around?

how old are you because everything you have mentioned so far is high school type of drama excuses/reasoning.
I don't know about high school drama, I still run into this problem
Old 02-25-09, 10:53 AM
kwheels
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1UZ-SC
I'm kind of shocked that more SC people would pick an IS300 over their car. I just don't get it
The difference is that the IS300 costs, on average 3x as much as an sc. Now i understand that gap is greatly reduced when you compare a 2000 SC300 to a 98 IS300, but a lot of people are buying 92's and 93's for a reason...there CHEAP...you get an excellent motor, sexy car, and Lexus Luxury for 2-4k, which is like 5-6k less than an IS300.

I actually found the SC's because of the IS's. Months back when I decided I needed a new car, I was looking all around at audi's, e36's, rx-8s and other new cars. I found the IS300 and loved it..then i saw the SC300 and fell in love.
Old 02-25-09, 03:38 PM
vietunit
Lexus Champion

Damn the SC's are just too damn sexy. I'm hoping I can find a 97 blk/blk 5speed thats under my budget or I just gotta stick with an IS.
Old 02-25-09, 03:44 PM
DY3VERSITY
Lexus Test Driver

I was in the same bind as you.. i ended up going with the SC for one reason.. I didnt see it on the road as much as an IS
Old 02-25-09, 04:06 PM
Ryeno
Banned

what does your car being mint and chicks "digging" it have anything to do with practicality? im sorry that you are friends with/know people that judge you by the car you drive. maybe you should reconsider who you know. its the same up by me in Lake Forest, IL. rich stuck up kids
I much rather hang out with rich kids and the hot girls that are with these rich kids. Then people whose futures are going to be construction worker and fireman. (more replay after other guys quote)

You should know how bad the mpg on a 2jz is, your damn right i dont wanna give people rides.
Originally Posted by eHIGH
I don't know about high school drama, I still run into this problem
I'm 19 ftw. Your looking at things from the wrong angle. Its not how is this a problem but how can i take advantage of this. High school is just a microcosm of the world. The simple truth is people will always judge others. As soon as you meet a person they will judge you by your looks, then by your character. You might as well take advantage of human nature and use it benefit you. Dont consider people judging you on your car as a problem but as an opportunity to shine. (After all you are in a lexus, well besides you 5sp, your car is a beater O_0)
btw rwd doesnt suck in the winted. dima you need to learn how to drive JK. btw a set of blizzacks does wonders.
idk how bad most rwd cars suck on snow but the sc sucks on rain, i cant even image taking it on snow. Not to mention i love my car and dont want it to rust.
Old 02-25-09, 04:12 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i would go with an IS300. this is why:

1. lighter weight
2. 4 doors
3. actual functional trunk that fits more then a shoe box

the cons:
cant fit deep-lip wheels...offset=fail
small selection of good looking aero kits

here is a nice is300 though. my buddy AJ's
lol I've seen this car on Supraforums before.
Old 02-25-09, 04:14 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 385 Likes on 227 Posts

the is's are cool and stuff, but I think the altezza style taillights look weird from the side. Doesn't look that stock either

Quick Reply: Newbie in need of advice (SC300/IS300)