Common maintenance issues?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-02, 10:37 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ToyLexmods
Yeah,

That aint your normal 87 Supra in the above picture. Hehe, I feel pity for the poor fools that have taken this car a 14year old clunker. 70k miles and yes thats factory paint....oh, and that big scoop in the front bumper is straight from Japan...and feeds cold air to my huge HKS intercooler sitting directly behind it. Its got so many discontinued parts imported directly from Japan...the cockpit looks like a jet fighter....

Later gang,

Damn ToyLexmods, that 87 Supra looks frightfully futuristic from the inside. For some reason, I feel like I'd travel back to the future as soon as the car hit 80mph
Old 03-05-02, 10:46 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lex400

Thanks, it really is a bad *** car. If you didnt know it and were standing next to it....it looks 1year old. Really....not a ding or scratch anywhere.

HKS turbo upgrade package set at 22psi of boost and your at warp speed in seconds. But, you know....I can just as easily cruise the mountains with the a/c on at 100mph and just sit back relax and take in the views. It really is the yeng/yang of cars. hehe
Old 03-05-02, 11:04 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Quick,

Check our classified section...there is a 92 w/45k miles for sale. Beige color...buy maybe your wife likes that color.
Old 03-06-02, 06:07 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Whoa! So I take it that all of the prices you quote below are for replacement parts, rather than fixing the components that are broken (forgive me if this is a stupid question and things are too hard to fix (i.e. you can't get at the bulbs or something)).

Goodness. So you have to replace the entire gauge and can't just take it apart and solder in/install a new bulb? Dang...

Quick,

Check out the maintenance forum about the needle gauge and the A/C controller. Taka has his site about the A/C fix.

What causes the power steering pump to go? How many miles typically before it goes?

$500 for a hose! WTF?

You can buy a rebuild kit for the P/S pump. Need to have the repair manual. As soon as you get the SC buy the manual for that year.

So you actually need to replace the hinges and door lock? What causes this failure? These are crazy replacement items. Things like this don't happen on my Supras... or my wife's Corolla...

Door hinge can't stand the heavy door through time. The bearing wear out. If you can take the hinge out and repalce the bearing also need to weld the hinge back easy job

So the climate control goes out too?

No, only the LCD leaks so you can't see the number anymore. Everythings else work.

I think I'll try to PM Steve and ask which SC parts people are buying the most... what's his alias?

His name maybe "Supratrd" yes he has a Supra and a SC300, his e-mail:
"STEVE GANZ" <gonzo4u@earthlink.net>

Last edited by VQT; 03-06-02 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-07-02, 07:22 PM
quick
Pole Position

Originally posted by ToyLexmods

Dont give up hope....get your wife a SC4.....its a awesome car. Just find one with good history and not beatup...many of these items will not show up on a clean car. And the fixes are cheap for someone who knows how to wrench...ie climate control is usually bulbs, cheap fix. Get out and drive a few...you will love it. Also, many early 92-94 models had this stuff replaced under warranty so check that too. I do all my own mods/maint and have no problems with replacing anything on my SC...it has not needed it yet...ex for the bulbs in the climate control, 10 dollar fix.

I had a 94tt...sold it...and have a SC4 daily driver in the summer. I did keep my 87T HKS stage 7+ 500hp killer for the days I have an urge to wipe the mountains clean. hehe
Thanks for the perspective. That helps reassure me...

You had a 94 JZA80 TT and sold it to keep your MkIII? Was your 94 a 6spd? If your MkIII was your first love I can totally understand that. IMO the MkIII and the MkIV are very different cars (especially in stock form).

Your MkIII looks well-maintained. Nice ride!
Old 04-22-02, 03:47 PM
Greylor
Driver School Candidate

[quote] I was only refer only on parts price.
Someone here paid two (RPM and MPH) needle gauges for $350. You have to replace it yourself. There are two more smaller gauges (gas and temp.). The light on the gauges burned out through time. When you test drive a SC you'll know what I mean.

P/S pump OEM ~$450?. Autozone $150
high pressure hose ~$500-$600
low pressure hosw less than above

Door hinge ~$200 each, door lock actuator ~$150 and its a b$%^t to take out.

side power mirror ECU ~$200

Alternator OEM ~too much, autozone ~$189, NAPA ~$200 to $350.

A/C controller, I could of got one for ~$300 (from a Lexus tech., friend of my brother) last summer but I didn't have the money at the time.

CD changer, forget it, go after market. It about ~$500 to $800 rebuild from the dealer. The price depends on which dealer you're dealing with.

Head light: low beam $260, Hi beam $150 (mine was crack, not moisture yet)

The price quote was actual price from Carson Toyota, Steve Ganz (he's a forum member here so we get cheaper price) [quote]

How often do these problems occur? Do they happen in most sc300's??

Matt
Old 04-23-02, 05:09 PM
Camshaft
Lead Lap

I checked toyotaparts4u.com and they have a timing belt for $31, and a waterpump for $90, both for a 94 Supra. Will these fit?
Old 04-23-02, 08:03 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Always good to see a maintanance history on any car.Motor mounts can go,electric dimmable rear view mirror is expensive,windshield is $850+...
Basically a Toyota,so while you already own,you'd know,nothing too very different on these cars.
Old 04-24-02, 05:09 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by SCV8
windshield is $850+...
Ouch, I thought there was a member rplace the windshield for less than $400
Is this $850 price is from the dealer?
Old 04-24-02, 05:18 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by SCV8
windshield is $850+...
Ouch, I thought there was a member who replace the windshield for less than $400 whith his car park at work
Is this $850 price from the dealer?

Last edited by VQT; 04-24-02 at 05:22 AM.
Old 06-03-02, 10:10 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Yea I think I have to go with lex400sc. I have a 95' SC4 and the only thin wrong now with 70K miles on it is the center air vent has 1 crack on it and my power mirror ECU has gone out. Which isn’t a real big problem because I'm the only one driving the car. I don’t have to keep on adjusting the mirrors, but I'm planning to make a trip to the local junkyard and get 1. but other than that the car is perfect. Oh and one more thing on the 95' there is a bit of hesitation when u gently accelerate but u can remedy this problem by putting the car in power mode or by just pushing the pedal harder. Otherwise I have no complaints and I am extremely happy with my SC.