SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SEM'd Interior + Claiborne Suede FTW

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-09, 09:49 PM
PecosBill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
real good looking. hope it don't bleed off on you when warm. it can get sticky.
Thats what she said! LOL I couldnt resist.
But this project is coming out awesome, cant wait to see it done
Old 03-01-09, 08:00 AM
BSC300TT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by evileagle

I was worried about the exact same thing as you are. Here's my conclusion. Everything comes down to preparation and taking your time. I decided to use an adhesion promoter, this helps the paint greatly to stick to the surface. Another thing I did that I think helped out alot was the amount of thin coats I did. I did a total of around 8 or so, maybe more. I sprayed like you would paint a car, moving left to right never stopping in a continuous motion. I also let all these parts sit for about a week in my shed which acts like an "oven" at around 90* in the day. I think this helped out greatly cause heres what I did to test it. Last night before I actually installed this stuff, I said to mysdlf, lets see how this holds up to a real life situation. So I took my fingernail and scratched a portion that was behind another panel that wouldnt show. Nothing, no scratch...it stayed black. I think with time it will get even better.

As far as the grills, the rear grils are in fact stock, just painted again with SEM. Pictures truly doesnt do them justice as they match pretty well. The center grill was a port and I think looks awesome, but to each his own. Having another grill in the center matching I think would look like weird. I was originally planning to do it just like u said, but i decided otherwise and Im glad I did.

I have done this process on my turbo Z back in 2000. I used the bull dog promoter and the sem dye just as you did. I actually had to go to the automotive paint store to purchase all of this. yes it does hold up good "enough", but everytime some one sits in your car or you put something in there you just cant stop worring about it coming off. As far as the rear deck goes, I guess I am confused. I am an advanced MECP installer and I dont know where you are going to put a 12W7 in the trunk and still use the rear lid as a functional port. Is this just going to be an opening in the trunk or are you going to use the lid as part of the box...hince then it could be a port. I agree that it needs to be covered in grill cloth as well. I work on the highest end of cars and this is my oppinion. Just a litte to consider if you will.
Old 03-01-09, 08:14 AM
LexCoupeB
Pit Crew

wow...niceeee
Old 03-01-09, 02:52 PM
T-Time24
Pole Position

Looks Great, will be doing the same to my rear interior soon.

love the rear deck
Old 03-01-09, 07:23 PM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PecosBill
Thats what she said! LOL I couldnt resist.
But this project is coming out awesome, cant wait to see it done
Originally Posted by LexCoupeB
wow...niceeee
Originally Posted by T-Time24
Looks Great, will be doing the same to my rear interior soon.

love the rear deck

Thanks guys.....looking forward to finishing this project up. Got the drivers door panel on last night to check speaker fitment....boy is it close. Temporarily connected the front speaker to the stock amp just to hear it and boy does it sound nice....cant wait to hook it up to the 300/4.

Couple of pics...yes I know i need to get a black window switch....its being painted as we speak....

Old 03-01-09, 07:27 PM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

Looks outstanding!
Old 03-01-09, 09:48 PM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

What's the steering wheel out of ? an IS or GS?

Hows the fitment on that?
Old 03-01-09, 10:37 PM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by UpInTheLex
What's the steering wheel out of ? an IS or GS?

Hows the fitment on that?
IS....bolts right up perfectly
Old 03-02-09, 06:47 AM
JPSFAB
Driver

nice work man.................but I see you still have alot of work to do. doing interior work is hard labor man. much props to you.
Old 03-02-09, 10:18 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by evileagle
IS....bolts right up perfectly
Did you wire up the horn?
Old 03-02-09, 10:45 AM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks nice...my only thought and questions would be why did you just not rewrap the panels? Cost would be my only thought. You did a nice *** job on the back deck so just thinking that you have the skillz to do the panels...

not taking away just throwing it out there.
Old 03-02-09, 12:56 PM
skousenjr
Driver

Panels are a bit more of a pain to wrap than a back deck, more curves, last guy i asked about doing mine said would be best to paint unless its destroyed leather or vinal.
Old 03-02-09, 03:02 PM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good...

I'm gonna do it...
Old 03-02-09, 03:04 PM
camberSC
Lexus Champion

Damn Malek I haven't heard from you and this what you have been up to.... Sick!!!! I'm loving the suede and everything else. Come over and install my system!!!
Old 03-02-09, 04:19 PM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JPSFAB
nice work man.................but I see you still have alot of work to do. doing interior work is hard labor man. much props to you.
Thanks bro...in the end, it will all be worth it.

Originally Posted by cherplex
Did you wire up the horn?
sure did.....

Originally Posted by ZMEGOBY
looks nice...my only thought and questions would be why did you just not rewrap the panels? Cost would be my only thought. You did a nice *** job on the back deck so just thinking that you have the skillz to do the panels...

not taking away just throwing it out there.
I think you killed my surprise =D. I was planning on wrapping the center console armwrest in suede........and here comes the big if....THE DASH!! I can do it no problem....just thinking if it will look right thats all. The hardest thing with this install is that I havnt used any of that fake microfibre crap.....this is REAL SUEDE. Its non stretchable which makes installation 5x harder, but then again if it isnt hard, then its probably not worth doing right?

Originally Posted by skousenjr
Panels are a bit more of a pain to wrap than a back deck, more curves, last guy i asked about doing mine said would be best to paint unless its destroyed leather or vinal.
I didnt do the panels cause I think bure black paint looks sexier =P Im fir sure gonna do the a pillars tho =D

Originally Posted by SC400Dude
Looks good...

I'm gonna do it...
thanks...and GL!!! Biggest piece of advice I could give u...TAKE YOUR TIME.

Originally Posted by camberSC
Damn Malek I haven't heard from you and this what you have been up to.... Sick!!!! I'm loving the suede and everything else. Come over and install my system!!!
Milt!!! what's up !! For sure man... ill swing by when my system is fully done. Hopefully everything will be done by sunday...but thats being optimistic. Sure cant wait to hear these focals and the 12w7....I listen to 1 speaker hooked up on the stock amp and i was impressed

Quick Reply: SEM'd Interior + Claiborne Suede FTW