SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Let your Lamps BREATH!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-09, 10:14 PM
tuterz
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by UZZ30-SC4
Pop your hood and check your OEMs brother, they are like that stock ( R/H is done that way due to intake) Not just that on the Right side i had to avoid a brace, and on the Left side i had to fit it next to the battery. Unless you remotely locate them, this is how you have to position them. Trust me i did the b#*$& work for ya'll. LoL!
thank you for clearing that up.. also.. did you have to drill the holes in? then sealed it?
Old 04-12-09, 11:20 AM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

any updates on this? i just spent $30 bucks to embark on this journey and was wondering if anyone that did this was still having good results..

I just bought a pair of mint headlights, only to have one condensate so bad in one week that all the chrome came off the headlight shroud, so i bought another mint headlight to replace it, only to see the other one start condensating..

almost $350 in headlights i really can't afford to keep this up so i'm gonna try this mod out i guess..
Old 04-12-09, 11:51 AM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

well i went ahead and did one of my new headlights that haven't been installed yet..

here's the pieces i bought from Advance Auto

here's pics of how bad the one i'm replacing got within a week or two, this thing looked brand new when i installed it and the headlight actually came off a 2000 SC.

It now needs the shroud replaced or painted cause all the chrome is flaking off the inside of the headlight..

lastly here's the pic of my other 2000 headlight starting to get moisture in it, hopefully i can save this one before it's too late...

Old 04-12-09, 01:29 PM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So strange- Someone should run some scientific studies to figure this out.
Any Scientists in the building? Did you run it through a car wash or what was it exactly that made this (above) happen?
Old 04-12-09, 01:32 PM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

man i have no idea, just hot weather and i guess the humidity in the south

i felt this breather filter mod was a bit extreme and desperate, but i'm willingto try anything at this point lol..
Old 04-13-09, 03:13 AM
dumdumgreg
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking around for smaller sized filters and came across these

they're made out of sintered brass, and the old V8 guys used to use them on the crank cases (back in the days before oiled paper filters were around)
I wonder if they would work....
Old 04-13-09, 03:18 AM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

Why is headlight condensation such a common problem on the SC? That's so un-heterosexual!
Old 04-13-09, 08:14 AM
UZZ30-SC4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by aka paco
any updates on this? i just spent $30 bucks to embark on this journey and was wondering if anyone that did this was still having good results..

I just bought a pair of mint headlights, only to have one condensate so bad in one week that all the chrome came off the headlight shroud, so i bought another mint headlight to replace it, only to see the other one start condensating..

almost $350 in headlights i really can't afford to keep this up so i'm gonna try this mod out i guess..
It works fine brother, the only thing i can add is if your in an extreme climate like mine, stuff the breathers full of oiled cotton.
Old 04-13-09, 11:21 AM
shaitaan
Lexus Test Driver

i want to do this, but i'm too dumb to attempt it
Old 04-13-09, 11:43 AM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Shaitaan, wasn't too hard man lol

UZZ30, that's cool man i was just wondering if anyone else has done it with good results as well.. glad to hear yours are holding up good, that gives me some up
Old 04-13-09, 11:46 AM
UZZ30-SC4
Lexus Test Driver

Its working great, i can admit that only once did they very lightly fog when the passenger side one was touched directly by water, so i pulled the breathers off and stuffed them full of oiled cotton, voila, perfect filtration of moisture.
Old 04-13-09, 01:14 PM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

I wonder if on a really hot humid day you would be better off taking out a couple bulbs from the headlight when washing your car, just to let out some heat from your headlight..

I'm wondering if when you wash your car on a hot day if the cold water being applied to the headlight is what's causing condensation sometimes, if the air on the inside of the housing is hotter then the outside air that seems like it would cause it.

Like on a cold day when you have your windows up and your car is loaded with people the heat inside the car causes your windows to fog up, and if you roll down your windows a little the fog goes away..
Old 04-13-09, 01:48 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

paco with that much water inside the lense, I think you might have a hairline crack along the seal...mine does not become like that bad if i completely seal the back (my breather is messed up so I just throw out the rubber boot) If I put one on it just fogs up but never condenses
Old 04-13-09, 01:53 PM
shaitaan
Lexus Test Driver

man i have no idea, just hot weather and i guess the humidity in the south

i felt this breather filter mod was a bit extreme and desperate, but i'm willingto try anything at this point lol..

all you did was splice a breather in with the hose?
Old 04-13-09, 02:21 PM
UZZ30-SC4
Lexus Test Driver

I wonder if on a really hot humid day you would be better off taking out a couple bulbs from the headlight when washing your car, just to let out some heat from your headlight..

I'm wondering if when you wash your car on a hot day if the cold water being applied to the headlight is what's causing condensation sometimes, if the air on the inside of the housing is hotter then the outside air that seems like it would cause it.

Like on a cold day when you have your windows up and your car is loaded with people the heat inside the car causes your windows to fog up, and if you roll down your windows a little the fog goes away..
The only thing you are missing from your theory is why the moisture is in the air within the housing to begin with, it shouldnt be there. Therefore, no moisture in air, nothing to condense. Problem solved

Quick Reply: Let your Lamps BREATH!!