SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Question about gated shifter (Still Unanswered)

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-09 | 07:08 PM
21ce
Intermediate

Default Question about gated shifter (Still Unanswered)

On this pic below from gadget it says to tap #3 to a speed sensor? Where is the speed sensor located So I can tap this wire? CAN ANYONE please answer this one? I've searched and checked his writeup... as well as the other ones for this shifter conversion. NO ONE covers info on where to tap this.... any help PLEASE.

And can I just tap into the battery for the 12v source?
Attached Thumbnails Question about gated shifter (Still Unanswered)-newshifter.jpg  
Old 03-20-09 | 10:21 PM
21ce
Intermediate

does ANYONE know where I CAN TAP INTO THE SPEED SENSOR WIRE?? and 12V source?(cig. lighter)...gadget no longer owns an SC so i'm not sure how often he checks back here... There is really no one else who knows this answer?? so sad...
Old 03-20-09 | 11:07 PM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

Maybe you should offer some sort of incentive to get people to answer your question...Just a suggestion.
Old 03-21-09 | 07:28 AM
UZZ30-SC4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 21ce
does ANYONE know where I CAN TAP INTO THE SPEED SENSOR WIRE?? and 12V source?(cig. lighter)...gadget no longer owns an SC so i'm not sure how often he checks back here... There is really no one else who knows this answer?? so sad...
What year is your SC?
Old 03-21-09 | 10:02 AM
21ce
Intermediate

Originally Posted by UZZ30-SC4
What year is your SC?
It's a 1993.... i tapped into the Pink wire on the middle harness of the cluster for the speed sensor.. and for the 12V i tapped into the actual red wire on the cigarette lighter... thanks for trying to help. And I made a bracket for the shift linkage instead of cutting the linkage...If anyone wants to see it I can go under my car and take a pic...

Now the shifter unlocks fine when I press the brake to go to REVERSE and down to drive...but, when I try to go back up to PARK, the shifter locks in NEUTRAL.....and i have to press the shift override button to get to park... this is more of a mechanical issue i think.... anyone got any ideas on this?

Last edited by 21ce; 03-21-09 at 10:08 AM. Reason: adding text
Old 03-21-09 | 11:33 AM
Luxor
Pole Position

Try this wire on the ECU. It is the wire I tapped to get a speed pulse from the speed sensor on my SC.
Old 03-21-09 | 04:18 PM
21ce
Intermediate

Ok I think that the car locks in neutral because speed sensor wire wasn't tapped properly... thats the only logical reason I can see why it would lock up in that gear. Luxor thanks for the response, I saw your thread when you were looking for the VSS wire, But you drive a 98-99 are the wire colors different..?
Old 03-21-09 | 04:53 PM
Ryeno
Banned

Originally Posted by Luxor
Try this wire on the ECU. It is the wire I tapped to get a speed pulse from the speed sensor on my SC.
Is that plastic thing attached to a spade adapter? Is so whats that thing called, i have been looking for that quick splice like object for a long time.
Old 03-22-09 | 08:50 AM
Peter_95
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CrazySC300
Maybe you should offer some sort of incentive to get people to answer your question...Just a suggestion.
lol... you always think about money....

anyways.... bump the thread for ya.... i remember researching about the speed sensors for our cars and there aren't much info on it.
I do remember OLT posting a thread with pictures of a computer screen showing which the speed sensor was and from there you would be able to find out where you can tap it in, but you can search for it... i wont =)
Old 03-22-09 | 02:37 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

I have no idea what the plastic thing is called sorry.

Well the wiring may be different thoughout the years, but it won't hurt to pull back the carpet and expose the ECU to see if the wire colors look identical in your SC.
Old 03-22-09 | 03:21 PM
Deceptik1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ryeno
Is that plastic thing attached to a spade adapter? Is so whats that thing called, i have been looking for that quick splice like object for a long time.
Are you talking about the "t-tap" connected to the male spade? If so here they are I just did a quick google search and this is the first link I saw http://www.wiringproducts.com/index1.html

Hey 21ce do you mind snapping a pics of the bracket you made for the linkage?
Old 03-22-09 | 03:33 PM
21ce
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Luxor
I have no idea what the plastic thing is called sorry.

Well the wiring may be different thoughout the years, but it won't hurt to pull back the carpet and expose the ECU to see if the wire colors look identical in your SC.
Your right it can't hurt, so I pulled the carpet back and tapped into the blue yellow wire as described with no luck.... I can't figure out which wire to tap for the life of me...

Peter, I found that thread and read through it carefully, didn't see anything about a speed sensor/ VSS wire on any of the computer screen shots...clicked on the 92-94 link too...

I tapped into the pink wire behind the dash, and then tried the pink wire on the driver's side kick panel, the lower orange plug, with no luck again...

I can't figure out where to connect that wire so the shifter knows it's ok to shift out of neutral... but thanks for the help so far... any other ideas?
Old 03-22-09 | 03:52 PM
projekt
Driver

well, i noticed when i was installing my single din with a new cd player, it had nothing to do with all the wires, well yes they needed to be plugged into the gear shifter panel, but when everything was hooked up, i couldnt put it out of nuetral and it was all becuase of the little black piece on the shifter. All i had to do was pull the black piece up( to cover the screws that hold the auto shifter in place) and boom i could shift again, but since yours is a 98-99 good luck!
Old 03-22-09 | 03:53 PM
projekt
Driver

BTW i have a 92
Old 03-22-09 | 04:23 PM
21ce
Intermediate

Default here's a pick of the bracket

Sorry i didn't see the request for the pic of the bracket... just crawled under to snap the shot...
Attached Thumbnails Question about gated shifter (Still Unanswered)-dsc01388.jpg  

Quick Reply: Question about gated shifter (Still Unanswered)