SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

92 Sc400 Modified Vs 2002 Sc430

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-02, 02:19 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Lex Luthor
OMG, Steven, remember how after going through so much of the same stuff with cars, I told you I thought you were my evil twin in FL? Well, I had the exact same Bronco, same colour, about the same lift looks like, etc. I had even removed the back seat and started on the pwr inverter and smoothie blender/ George Foreman grille just like you did, but I got rid of it before I finished. Had a custom sunroof installed, carpeted the whole interior top to bottom, amps flush-mounted into the sides. Man, I remember torchin' many a Dutch back there, uh, I mean, anyway...

P.S. - We had Broncos and Landcruisers or the Taliwackers did? I didn't see that, kewl, must be tough keepin' sand outta the air filter, but talk about dunes, must be a rip. Mine never went offroad in the sense that yours did Wiz, it was more equipped for 'Urban Warfare', jumpin' curbs and parking blocks, floss in the back, you know. Gotta find a pic of it. Soooo, have we covered everything at this point? No one mentioned Nas is fighting for the first time next weekend since he lost to Barrera! And Amy Fisher isn't fighting Tonya Harding anymore!
LOL THat's just too funny. Ya I love the truck, I got an awesome deal on it too, its got 50k original miles on it! If only it got better than 10mpg.

Ya the Taliban had bronco's and landcruisers, I saw it on CNN where they showed some of them that we had blown up. They sure didn't look "built ford tough" after a daisy-cutter hit em...lol

Ya mine is setup for the occasional railroad jump, and many a back seat adventure. I'm getting ready to pull the roof off tonight, and relocate the microwave to under the shelf so it doesnt stick up when the top is off.

SR
Old 03-18-02, 08:27 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JAC JZS,

This is the crap that I'm talking about. All most of the GS400 and their brethren do is quote magazine times.

I don't give a DAMN what Motortrend or Road and Track ran with some car. After I read an article in Car & Driver about how AWD SLOWS a launch; I just quit bothering with the numbers.

I saw with my VERY OWN EYES on Motorweek on Speedvision; they took a BONE STOCK Altima to 14.4 @ 100mph

There are several Maxima guys that are bone stock that have run a 14.2. I don't care what motortrend tells you or not. Those guys have posted timeslips and videos and pictures...

They've got the evidence.

IMO magazine editors can't drive worth a damn. Motortrend also goes by a Gtech Pro which doesn't give correct mph.
Which is why they quoted a 116mph trap for a 2001 Z06 when they only trap around 113-114mph.
Recently Motortrend started using a real dragstrip and they are getting correct mph numbers. They ran a 114.9 in a new 2002 Z06 which is correct.

but after seeing a WRX totally bust *** upon a GS400 and the GS400 with its claimed "top-end" couldn't pull on it on a roll even a little bit; leaves me wondering why i waste my time reading magazine articles.

I hope I don't have to go through this again. Magazine racing sucks. Quoting 0-60 and 1/4 mile times sucks. When you're ready to talk about REAL racing and real 1/4 mile times; then come back here; we'll be waiting with open arms

FYI: the last Altima thread I saw; one of the GS400 guys was bragging about beating one and the Altima had 4 people in it and it was an automatic. And he didn't beat it by much

Last edited by Bean; 03-18-02 at 08:32 AM.
Old 03-18-02, 09:05 AM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bean...where did you get the HUD display?

HEy Bean.

Where did you get your HUD display? How much and where can I get one?

Thanks.
Old 03-18-02, 09:35 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

http://www.rollhard.com

Its there in the electronics section.

If you need a SC4 pinout, the ECU pinout can be found at Apexi's website I think. I KNOW the SC3 can be; but the SC4 may be a bit more difficult since I'm not sure where to find the pinout.

Its a nice unit; comes with solderless connectors and instructions on how to use it.

I still have not found a way to mount it yet unless I want to drill into the dash. Still trying to find something sticky enough but clean-looking so it doesn't have that ghetto-fabulous flavor
Old 03-18-02, 10:14 AM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Bean,

I don't know if you noticed but on more than one post I mentioned that I think that magazines are wrong more times than not. I am going by friends & other various peoples timeslips for my times with the GS4. As I said times for the GS4 range from 14.5 to 14.6 for a healthy GS. The magazines quote a time of 14.3. I was merely using the magazine as a point of reference. For example let's say a magazine quoted a E.T. 1/4 mile time for the GS4 at 20.0, and then with the same driver let's say they quote a time of 20.40 for the SC400. Yeah we would all know that the times would be off but we would be able to use it as a point of reference( an example of the difference in speed between the two cars-being .40). Of course there are other variables like weather,etc... but you get the basic idea. Maybe that Altima you saw on SPEEDVISION was using racegas. Maybe that Altima that you saw had something under the hood that you didn't know about. Maybe it had Dragslicks on. I would advise you not to go by what you see on TV but rather by your own experiences or by your friends that you know what they have under the hood.
Old 03-18-02, 12:37 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Yeah Bean, ghetto fab
Old 03-18-02, 12:45 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

JAC JZS,

sorry to come across as harsh as I did
But that Altima was bone-stock

I'm sure you've heard of Motorweek television right? Its like Motortrend television; they test cars and put up the times. But they were at a drag strip.

This car had no slicks and had like 35 miles on it. This wasn't a drag race show that i saw... this was a cartest show that does reviews on numerous types of new vehicles just like Motortrend does; except its called Motorweek

And putting race gas in a vehicle will NOT make it faster instantly. It will in most cases make you SLOWER if your ignition is not up to par.
Old 03-18-02, 01:50 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Hell, an oil change can give you 10 hp on the dyno. It's not an exact science, I won't treat it as such. I'll just do my thing, and start using synthetic oil.
Old 03-18-02, 02:54 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Bean
JAC JZS,

sorry to come across as harsh as I did
But that Altima was bone-stock

I'm sure you've heard of Motorweek television right? Its like Motortrend television; they test cars and put up the times. But they were at a drag strip.

This car had no slicks and had like 35 miles on it. This wasn't a drag race show that i saw... this was a cartest show that does reviews on numerous types of new vehicles just like Motortrend does; except its called Motorweek

And putting race gas in a vehicle will NOT make it faster instantly. It will in most cases make you SLOWER if your ignition is not up to par.
It's cool Bean, One other thing, this Altima six-speed was driven by someone who was either a professional driver or close to it. You know on the street 90% or more of the people driving this car are not going to be able to pull off shifts that quick. So even if that's the best time this professional car tester was able to do I guarantee you out on the street in a real situation the Altima will lose to the GS400.

JAC
Old 03-18-02, 08:39 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

Ok the fastest I goten my GS400 in the 1/4 was 14.5 and I have also drove a new Altima 3.5 in the 1/4 and the best time I have got with it was a 14.9. I got alot more traction with the Altima then with my GS400 I know for sure if I could get more traction with the GS I would get that 14.3 easy. Those Altimas won't run no 14.3 stock.....maybe with headers and intake. Go over to the Nissan forums and see what the real owners say they run in the 1/4........its more like 15.xx.
Old 03-18-02, 09:43 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally posted by GS400_PUSHER
Ok the fastest I goten my GS400 in the 1/4 was 14.5 and I have also drove a new Altima 3.5 in the 1/4 and the best time I have got with it was a 14.9. I got alot more traction with the Altima then with my GS400 I know for sure if I could get more traction with the GS I would get that 14.3 easy. Those Altimas won't run no 14.3 stock.....maybe with headers and intake. Go over to the Nissan forums and see what the real owners say they run in the 1/4........its more like 15.xx.
Finally a voice of reason. GS400_Pusher is but another example of a REAL 1/4 mile time for the GS400 which is exactly like the times I and many friends have gotten with our GS4's. Another good point for the altima is 14.9 in the 1/4 mile which would be a good example of what someone would run in the the quarter on the street. So you see there would be no way the altima would beat the GS4 from a stop or out of the hole.
Old 03-19-02, 12:15 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

ok so a 14.9 at 98mph which indicates a terrible launch

still the trap speed is there; a GS400 won't beat a Altima 3.5 on a roll and an altima with headers and an intake should be well into the 13s
this is the crap i debate all the time... if its not one thing then its another

GS400_PUSHER,

thats nice that you got better traction in the altima...
but a 14.9 indicates you didn't get a good launch at all; most magazine articles i've seen have the altima running at 14.6-14.8 @ 97-98mph
I saw one on TV that ran a 14.4 @ 100mph (which indicates a much better launch)...
if you wanna use your excuse on the 14.3 with the GS400, an Altima with a perfect launch has the mph to run 13.70-13.90s bone stock; so i'm not all that impressed

its also nice that most Altima 5-speed owners are running 15.xx times; that doesn't mean the car isn't capable of mid-14s... its mainly the driver... but I'll make a special case for you since you drive an automatic and have only 15% of the problems that we manual drivers have to worry about like launch rpm and slipping the clutch just perfectly...

Like I said before, this is what I deal with and why I don't like most GS400 owners and why they don't like me
Old 03-19-02, 12:27 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

I don't really care if a Nissan is faster than my car.. if I feel the need to, I will do the necessary upgrades to be faster than the Nissan. The GS is actually kind of limited in what can be done with it, I'd be more inclined to turbo a GS300 than buy a 400. I know a blower can up a GS into super street car territory but I would rather have either my car or a turbo six, since my motor's OBD I and much less of a pain to tune.
As for a front driver Altima running anywhere in the 13's or low 14's for that matter, I'll believe it when I see it with my own eyes.
Old 03-19-02, 01:08 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally posted by MadMaxSC400
I don't really care if a Nissan is faster than my car.. if I feel the need to, I will do the necessary upgrades to be faster than the Nissan. The GS is actually kind of limited in what can be done with it, I'd be more inclined to turbo a GS300 than buy a 400. I know a blower can up a GS into super street car territory but I would rather have either my car or a turbo six, since my motor's OBD I and much less of a pain to tune.
As for a front driver Altima running anywhere in the 13's or low 14's for that matter, I'll believe it when I see it with my own eyes.
Agreed the 2JZ-GTE definately has more potential than the 1UZ-FE. With a supercharger you definately would be in super street car territory but an Aristo V300 VVT-I has more potential still. As for the 13 (or low 14) second Nissan Altima, I also will believe it when I see it.
Old 03-20-02, 04:54 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

THE MADNESS!!! Will it ever stop!!!!?!?!!

SR

Quick Reply: 92 Sc400 Modified Vs 2002 Sc430