SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

92 Sc400 Modified Vs 2002 Sc430

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-02, 04:59 PM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bean, an Altima getting a 13.7 quarter mile ??!! The M3 does it in around 13.5, are you telling me that the Altima will be right behind it ?! And if that's true, the Altima will almost always smoke an SC400 in stock form. And the mag numbers aren't that unreliable, they don't just get in a car and punch it, these are trained professionals, just like on Motorweek, of which I watch. They take everything into consideration, temperature, weather, road conditions, and they have no impetus to run some cars faster than others. And yes, AWD can be a ****** to launch, ever own an Audi ? I have, and launches are more involved with AWD than FWD/RWD.
Old 03-21-02, 07:47 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by LexusPride
Bean, an Altima getting a 13.7 quarter mile ??!! The M3 does it in around 13.5, are you telling me that the Altima will be right behind it ?! And if that's true, the Altima will almost always smoke an SC400 in stock form. And the mag numbers aren't that unreliable, they don't just get in a car and punch it, these are trained professionals, just like on Motorweek, of which I watch. They take everything into consideration, temperature, weather, road conditions, and they have no impetus to run some cars faster than others. And yes, AWD can be a ****** to launch, ever own an Audi ? I have, and launches are more involved with AWD than FWD/RWD.
I guess you don't know much about 1/4 mile times do you? You know the Mustang GT? It runs 100mph traps too. Know what normal times are for it? 13.9-14.0... and with a REALLY good launch; a 13.7 is possible and been done. Hell there's Grand Prix guys running 13.6s @ 101mph and its a FWD car. When you want to compare relative power/weight numbers you compare traps. The 100mph trap of an Altima doesn't come close to the 107mph trap of an M3

And no AWD is not a ***** to launch; there's one thing you have to worry about; and its bogging off the line; if you can make the car not bog by either launching at a high rpm and/or spinning the front or rear tires slightly; then its off.

You're smoking something if you think AWD is more involved to launch than a FWD car. Or a RWD car even.

No I've never owned an Audi and I would never consider owning one since they are pieces of junk and slow as ***** excluding the overpriced S4. I have however owned a AWD Talon and have a lot of friends who own various AWD DSMs and two friends who own WRXs. They aren't NEARLY as hard to launch.

An M3 doesn't do 13.5s with a good launch. If you're running 107mph traps and only yanking a 13.5 on a RWD vehicle, you've got problems. An M3 with an equally good driver yanks 13.1s at 107-108mph. I'm not going by what I read in magazines; I go by what I know and what I've seen at the dragstrip.

I see motortrend can't get a LS1 car into the low 13s; I always see like 13.7 @ 108mph or something pitiful like that... And I'll see bone stock LS1s run 12.9s @ 109mph at the track... Z28s, not SSs or WS6s. I see hardly any magazine can break a 13.7 or 13.6 with a new Cobra, but I've personally seen them run 13.2s and 13.3s with a similar trap speed

If the Altima had a badass limited slip, a set of drag radials (big drag radials) and a really good driver, I'd think high 13s BONE stock (except for the tires) would be possible. But that would be stretched to the end hehe. And there isn't an awsome LSD available for the Altima
Old 03-21-02, 07:10 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

BEAN....... first of all why you gotta come at me like that! You don't even got a GS so why you worried about it!!!! Until I have an Altima blow by me I'm not worried about it..........LOL I ran the fastest time out of 3 other 3.5 Altimas out there that night which they ran 15xx in the 1/4....... My GS400 was stock with 17 inch CHROME rims plus one in the trunk.
Old 03-21-02, 07:30 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Default depends

I sat in an Altima and it screams cheap. I guess all the money went into the motor. The maxima was definitely nicer. But for the money, I would buy the 2.5 Altima. Not as fast as the 3.5 but 10k cheaper. Gives me more money to turbo my GS3
Old 03-21-02, 07:57 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

I should have said 10k cheaper when comparing it to a fully loaded Altima.
Old 03-21-02, 08:10 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Bean

I guess you don't know much about 1/4 mile times do you? You know the Mustang GT? It runs 100mph traps too. Know what normal times are for it? 13.9-14.0... and with a REALLY good launch; a 13.7 is possible and been done. Hell there's Grand Prix guys running 13.6s @ 101mph and its a FWD car. When you want to compare relative power/weight numbers you compare traps. The 100mph trap of an Altima doesn't come close to the 107mph trap of an M3

And no AWD is not a ***** to launch; there's one thing you have to worry about; and its bogging off the line; if you can make the car not bog by either launching at a high rpm and/or spinning the front or rear tires slightly; then its off.

You're smoking something if you think AWD is more involved to launch than a FWD car. Or a RWD car even.

No I've never owned an Audi and I would never consider owning one since they are pieces of junk and slow as ***** excluding the overpriced S4. I have however owned a AWD Talon and have a lot of friends who own various AWD DSMs and two friends who own WRXs. They aren't NEARLY as hard to launch.

An M3 doesn't do 13.5s with a good launch. If you're running 107mph traps and only yanking a 13.5 on a RWD vehicle, you've got problems. An M3 with an equally good driver yanks 13.1s at 107-108mph. I'm not going by what I read in magazines; I go by what I know and what I've seen at the dragstrip.

I see motortrend can't get a LS1 car into the low 13s; I always see like 13.7 @ 108mph or something pitiful like that... And I'll see bone stock LS1s run 12.9s @ 109mph at the track... Z28s, not SSs or WS6s. I see hardly any magazine can break a 13.7 or 13.6 with a new Cobra, but I've personally seen them run 13.2s and 13.3s with a similar trap speed

If the Altima had a badass limited slip, a set of drag radials (big drag radials) and a really good driver, I'd think high 13s BONE stock (except for the tires) would be possible. But that would be stretched to the end hehe. And there isn't an awsome LSD available for the Altima
Hey, your sig says waiting for a turbo. It's been that way for how many months? When are you getting that turbo?
Old 03-21-02, 08:49 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Give the kid a break, he's paying off his Z32 and JZZ, while going to school. I'm sure when the Z is sold he'll be captain atmosphere.
- - Jon
Old 03-21-02, 09:47 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Hey, who's ragging on him. He's had that statement in his sig for many months and I am wondering when it's going to happen.
Old 03-22-02, 12:23 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Man, who really cares??? The bottom line is the GS400 is twice the car the Altima 3.5 is. I don't care if the 3.5 ran a 13-second flat, I'd still take a GS400 because 5 years later my car will still be on the road and the 3.5 will be sitting in a shop for the third week in a row. If the Altima 3.5 is within a hair's time of the GS400 with a bigger, more powerful engine, that just means the Nissan is pushing less weight because plastic and pleather doesn't weigh as much. Same reason why an Acura CL will take the SC400 for a ride.
Old 03-22-02, 01:15 AM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by lex400sc
. Same reason why an Acura CL will take the SC400 for a ride.
Like hell it will!!!
Well, mine is... upgraded... so...
Old 03-22-02, 06:24 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll get the turbo once I sell the Z32. You try owning two cars and owing a lot of money and live in a low-cost area therefore making zilch compared to normal cities.

I pay over $900/month on car notes and insurance. I still have to get by with saving for school; credit card bills; food, etc.

Thats cool that you have the GS400; I'm happy that you're happy. But you're crazy or something if you think the Altima is going to be sitting in for repair all the time. You simply forget that Nissan is one of the more reliable Japanese brands; its not a Toyota, but its not a Mitsubishi, Subaru, or Mazda either.

GS400_PUSHER,

Didn't mean to offend, too much. But you seem to forget how consistent automatics are. If the GS400 had a manual transmission it would definitely get better ETs; but you probably wouldn't be getting them consistently. An automatic is totally easy to launch; you stall up and go. Makes for consistent low times because the torque converter slips like a clutch and puts the power to the ground without spinning a whole lot.
Altima 3.5 5-speeds spin BAD. They have a lot of torque for the size of the car... they put out more power/weight to the ground than a GS400 does. The GS400 has a slightly higher weight/hp ratio at the crank; but going through the slushomatic to the rear wheels it loses a good bit of power compared to the Altima; which goes through a transaxle instead to the front wheels.

What I'm getting at is just because you ran a high ET on the Altima and a lower one on your GS400 (with chrome 17" rims, like that makes a difference) does not mean the Altima isn't as fast or faster. What was your trap speed?

I can run high 14s in my Lex; I bet I could run better than a 14.8 in a new Altima; that thing would KILL my SC for sure.

Last edited by Bean; 03-22-02 at 06:26 AM.
Old 03-22-02, 08:17 AM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

I own two cars and I live in one of the places with the highest cost of living in the U.S. So I know something about bills. You should put your car in e-bay or something so that you can get more exposure for it. Then you could sell it and get that turbo.
Old 03-22-02, 08:28 AM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Besides having a fast engine, what else does the Altima have? I read that it doesn't handle like a sports sedan and that the materials are cheap. Now, I haven't driven one but I wonder how insulated it really is. The weight loss has to come from somewhere. Given that the GS and for that matter, your SC, are luxury cars, I am not sure why anyone would compare the two.

I wonder how the auto version of the altima peforms. I was tempted to sell my GS and buy an Altima until I sat in one. Ugh, is that word I used then, and now. And the maxima, great interior but what's up with the taillights? Another Ugh...
Old 03-22-02, 11:00 AM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

meanboy makes a good point.. sure you could buy an altima that's faster, you could also buy a Honda Civic, gut it and have a fast car. It'd also be a piece of crap. The proper comparison here would be the Infiniti G35, NOT the Altima.
Old 03-22-02, 11:34 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Bean
you're crazy or something if you think the Altima is going to be sitting in for repair all the time. You simply forget that Nissan is one of the more reliable Japanese brands; its not a Toyota, but its not a Mitsubishi, Subaru, or Mazda either.
I'm not so much an Nissan enthusiest so I'm not familiar with the cars firsthand other than being an occassional passenger in one, but Nissan has more average service problems than Ford, Saturn, Oldsmobile, Subaru, Mercury, and Buick. It more than doubles the number of problems found in Lexus cars. This is all based off a JD Power and Associates dependibility study up to 2001. Here's the link to it: http://www.jdpa.com/studies_jdpower/...ID=585&CatID=1

Last edited by lex400sc; 03-23-02 at 01:29 AM.

Quick Reply: 92 Sc400 Modified Vs 2002 Sc430