SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

flat tire, need suggestion.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-02, 05:18 PM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default flat tire, need suggestion.

I just had flat tire (by nail) and needed to replace. How long I can drive with spare tire?
I was in consideration of purchasing new tires before it occured (maybe also rims), but I was never really into those tire ( I just get whatever on previous car). now with lexus, I wanna get performance tire, I have lists of tire I been thinking of: Dunlop SP 5000, Yokohama AVS, Dunlop SP Sport 9000's and others. Would it make any difference for the comfort of ride, comparing with stock tire.

Currently I have 16" stock rims but I kinda also want to change to 17" if it's within my budget. My budget is around $500-800, maybe lil more, including tires and rims. if I can't get rim, I just stick with stock rim and get 16" tire. (I checked tirerack.com but doesn't seem I can get both with my budget)

again, I never really done major upgrade on rims/tires so I'll appreciate if I can get some suggestion/recommendation.
I have blk sc400.
Thanks

p.s. meanwhile I'm gonna fix flat tire and put it back on.
Old 03-10-02, 06:04 PM
JohnnySC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try to score a set of GS400 wheels with tires, you will be happy.
Old 03-11-02, 05:21 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You can run a long time on our spares - they are a full size. The main risk is.....if you get another flat; you're screwed. I've know people to drive for months on the spare; but its your risk.

As I stated in other tire posts, I personally prefer the Firestone Firehawks - S50's. They grip like crazy, are very quiet, have rim guards, and actually last a long time.
Old 03-11-02, 05:55 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Keith13b
You can run a long time on our spares - they are a full size. The main risk is.....if you get another flat; you're screwed. I've know people to drive for months on the spare; but its your risk.

As I stated in other tire posts, I personally prefer the Firestone Firehawks - S50's. They grip like crazy, are very quiet, have rim guards, and actually last a long time.
I believe Taka lives near NY city. He needs 4 season tires. All around good performer.
Unless Taka willing to have two set of tires. One for the winter on the original rims and the other on 17" or 18" rims with high performance tire for the summer
Old 10-13-02, 01:34 PM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

I just got a flat tire too. dag gone it, there's a leak somewhere... i can hear the air leak out.. is it possible to fix?
also, i looked at the spare and it looks just like the regular tire! Its a full size, what's the diff between the spare and the reg tires?
i plan on gettin rims in the spring anyways so if I can last a few months w/ the spare, that'd be great.
finally, if i get rims w/ new tires, does that mean i have to get 5 new tires (1 for the spare for the new rims).
Old 10-13-02, 02:33 PM
Phoenix88
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Usually where you bought your tire they can patch up the tire for free or a small fee. If your budget is around 800 I would take a look for Supra TT rims, I personally like them better than the GS, only because they are fatter, GS rims are a great design. Take a look at this thread, there is a comparison.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ight=supra+rim

The only drawback (not really) is that TT rims have T on them and not a L, I am sure you can find a blank centercap, which would look really nice.
Old 10-13-02, 03:30 PM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

hey Legends6spd, it is possible to fix your flat tire, $5-10 at local shop. and you can use your spare tire as reg tire, since they are the same (as far as I know..). but like Keith13b said, "if you get another flat; you're screwed".
Old 10-13-02, 06:00 PM
Grimpy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it just a nail in your tire? If this is the cause, all you really need is to take it and get the nail removed and patched. This should cost no more than $15-25. Beats buying a new one or a new set.
Old 10-13-02, 06:54 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I fix my own flat tire

Even that I have road hazard on my tires, but for the time to take the car in and wait for them to take the tire out patch installed balance, I could fix it my plug the hole with less than 15 minutes.
All you have to do is buy the tire repair at Pepboy, buy the expensive one with a T handle an you set to fix your own while you on the high way. Cost about $15 for the tools and you have about 10 plugs (10 flat fix). When you run out of plugs, buy a box of it. Most place on the highway will just plug the tire. Why waste money and still have to wait for them to fix for you.
If you know how to take the tire out, you can do it yourself.
Old 10-13-02, 10:37 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Buy Supra TT wheels... I got a set for $550 with tires. There are three sets on ebay right now and maybe even a few on Supraforums too. You can probably price haggle with the sellers since they are just an extra set of wheels taking up space in their garage. The Toyota emblems can easily be removed from the hub caps by yourself, or you can buy blank ones for $30/each at the dealership. Looks good on the SC stock (will look even better tomorrow when I get my springs/struts!) ....

Old 10-13-02, 11:14 PM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

whoa, thanks for the overwhelming response on my flat tire. lol
i'm going to just put my spare in, it looks good to me. I'll probably neva use it when i get my new tire it anyways.
once i remove the flat, i'll patch it up just so i have a spare in the future.
i was thinkin about removing the spare from my trunk anyways to save on the weight =)

as for the new wheels, i've pretty much decided on the Moda R6 wheels. They look clean and 18's for around $1g - not bad.

it needs to wait till spring thou, cuz i wanna get shox/springs along w/ tires.
my budget won't allow it now since i'm upgrading my sound soon.
Old 11-03-02, 05:01 PM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

I just got 2 nails on tires, one for last week, just got another one today how often you guys get nails?
Old 11-04-02, 03:35 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I've had a few nails and screws embed themselves in my tires- while ideally you never want anything in your tires, if you are gonna get some penetration, the best thing to get is a nail or screw. Sometimes, they just stay in there and don't leak, or, if they do, they leak out very slowly (1-3 psi per week).

Then there are the screws and nails that cause faster leaks- but the good news is that they are repairable. Just as VQT and Sc4oo have already mentioned, those inexpensive tire repair kits work fine on small nail and screw holes- you don't even need to remove the tire.
Old 11-04-02, 09:03 AM
Camshaft
Lead Lap

Man, its a $5 fix. If the nail is causing seperation, then the tire is ruined. If the hole is in the side, its ruined. Otherwise, just have it patched. Spares are usually unbalanced, so if you go in, go ahead and have it done. Otherwise, you will be in Bum ***** Egypt and have to drive a ways with an unbalanced tire. Uncool.