SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Death of the UZ

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-09, 09:40 PM
captainsc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Death of the UZ

So SC owners we are all at a sad point in time for the history of Lexus. To start off we all know that Lexus is pulling the plug on the SC line. There is just no longer a demand for them. Those with pre-97 models should feel pleased, because back then our cars were produced in big numbers and were loved by so many. Secondly here is the other big news that many might have not thought about. The UZ block will be dead in just a few years. Originating in 1989 and living till 2000, the 1UZ proved to be one the most loved V8's around. Then to further explore its potential came the 2UZ in the Toyota Truck line and then the 3UZ making its way into the second gen GS, LS, and SC. Now the only vehicle left using the UZ motor is the Toyota Tundra, Sequoia, and 4-Runner. This is however about to soon change. Toyota is replacing the 2UZ in the Tundra with the 1UR. With a decent model life in the 4-Runner, the next gen is certain to move to the 1UR too. So this means that the legend of the UZ is almost at a close, with just one possible model to carry it on until it is dropped too. A sad day that will be, but to remember it I say we all pull together and get some serious boost going in these motors, as a way of saying thank you to one of the greatest V8's out there.
Old 03-31-09, 09:47 PM
Amini9
Lexus Test Driver

tell lexus to remake the sc3\4 and fix all the problems that were with it!
Old 03-31-09, 09:52 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 383 Likes on 225 Posts

Noooo comeback!! We gotta keep on reppin the UZ in our SC's then
Old 03-31-09, 10:11 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

and who cares....

its life. technology improves and the company moves on from one engine to another. i dont think people cried when the 22RE or the 4AGE was not produced anymore.

if you want to own an engine that will live forever in all types of cars and in different configurations get a small-block chevy or an LS series engine. those will never die

a lot of great motors have been produced over the history of the automotive industry and have been replaced or phased out. there is always good reasoning behind it especially when it comes to toyota and decision making.

im learning about lean manufacturing and toyota methods of doing business and i gotta say it is simply astounding. if toyota decided to phase it out then there is a good reason for it and better things to come.
Old 04-01-09, 12:28 AM
21ce
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
and who cares....

its life. technology improves and the company moves on from one engine to another. i dont think people cried when the 22RE or the 4AGE was not produced anymore.

if you want to own an engine that will live forever in all types of cars and in different configurations get a small-block chevy or an LS series engine. those will never die

a lot of great motors have been produced over the history of the automotive industry and have been replaced or phased out. there is always good reasoning behind it especially when it comes to toyota and decision making.

im learning about lean manufacturing and toyota methods of doing business and i gotta say it is simply astounding. if toyota decided to phase it out then there is a good reason for it and better things to come.
agreed, it's not all that sad... not like they won't be available...
Old 04-01-09, 12:43 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

yup the UZ may be legendary in terms of its longevity, but it's always a watered down V8
Old 04-01-09, 12:44 AM
SClean4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love hearing my UZ with no mufflers everyday...I just got back into the import scene in '07 after a few years of inactivity...From what all I've read, the 1UZ especially (and the other UZ's) are quite legendary and well-built.

The 1st Gen SC was always one of those cars that were special, unique and a trendsetter for the '90s, and a car you wish you could have. The 2nd Gen SC had a unique design and good features, just never a big seller, expensive, gas guzzler in what was $4+ gas, weight/performance issues, poor economy, etc., but I guess they are and will be very rare since they didn't sell that many.

I thought there was a chance the LF-C might become a new SC. I think it would be cool if they made the LF-A an SC... I know the IS is coming in 2-door so was thinking that might fill the gap of the coupe niche, along with the exotic LF-A supercar if it's made. I guess we will see.

Everything is temporary. The SC and UZ may be gone eventually but they won't be forgotten. Something better will replace them...
Old 04-01-09, 02:34 AM
Mr.NA_T
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kaydee
yup the UZ may be legendary in terms of its longevity, but it's always a watered down V8
Old 04-01-09, 08:45 AM
captainsc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bkjasonp
I know that when it came out it doesn't seem to us like it was pushing big numbers, but in those days it was alot. A small displacement V8 pushing Mustang 4.6 numbers was quite an accomplishment. Also remember that this motor came out in 1989!!! Im not saying its they greatest thing ever, and definitely cannot be as easily boosted as a 2J or 1J, but it was a milestone in Lexus history that led to a huge fan base. The motor, like the 2J is known for being indestructible and we are sadly just now starting to unlock the true potential of the motor with manual swaps, supercharger kits, and turbos. This motor will keep shoeing up and will surprise many people along the way of what it can do. I look forward to the future when I myself can fly past any 240 with my turbo/ 5sp SC400
Old 04-01-09, 09:15 AM
vietunit
Lexus Champion

Time to find something new to boost.
Old 04-01-09, 11:19 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

My pops got one of the newer 4runners with the new UZ engine and it has some serious kick to it. I would rock the 1UZ though, with a turbo or 2 that is.
Old 04-01-09, 11:45 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Im keeping the 1uz alive...

Has 5 gears now and soon to have more than ambient pressure.... b1tches.
Old 04-01-09, 11:54 AM
captainsc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
Im keeping the 1uz alive...

Has 5 gears now and soon to have more than ambient pressure.... b1tches.
Lol, when can I drive it???
Old 04-01-09, 12:02 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

The new V8s is better in almost every way. The UZ-series had its long run already. Time to move on to bigger and better engines!
Old 04-01-09, 01:10 PM
captainsc
Lexus Test Driver

Im not saying that the UR series aren't good motors. My dad has the 3UR and it is a beast. Don't know if these motors will stand up to the reliability of the UZ quite yet cause of they're so new???? But its just sad to the UZ die off. It is time to move on, but its like loosing a friend.