Tail Light Fuse Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-09, 07:58 AM
vert310
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail Light Fuse Problem

Hey Guys,

Wanted to get your expert opinions on this issue I've been having. I did a search but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. I had minor front end collision in December but for some reason in January my fuse for the tail lights blew (something that has never happened before). Ok, easy enough, changed, and everything was gravy until it just blew again last week. I then change it again and in about an hour's time, the fuse blew again. I'm not super electronics savvy to figure out what is going on and wanted to see what you guys thought. Everything else is working fine, like the brake light, just the tail lights for both side dont work.

Thanks

vert
Old 04-05-09, 07:38 PM
vert310
Rookie

Can anybody give any input? Any help, no matter how little would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 04-05-09, 08:42 PM
Chadricco
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like you have a short circuit to deal with. Fuses are there to melt away before wires overheat.

Do all of the other "running" lights work until the fuse blows? This includes front side markers and the lamps inside the headlight housing. I have not seen a wiring diagram, but assume they're on the same circuit/fuse as the tail lights. If any of the bulbs glow dimmer than others on the opposing side, its obviously the democrat. Oops, I mean check wires to that socket.

Good luck!
-Chad
Old 04-05-09, 09:21 PM
vert310
Rookie

All the other running lights are working. I know one off my fog lights wires got shredded in my accident, maybe that is causing it?
Old 04-05-09, 10:23 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

check out that fog light wire and make sure it is not shorting out. i dont think it is on the same fuse as the parking lights.

so youre saying that your front parking lights work fine and the ones in the tailight dont.

i dont see how thats possible it is on the same circuit. you can short out the circuit at any place. it will blow the fuse and ALL the parking light will stop working.

the parking light wire is either a green or a green white. its one of those for sure. it should be one of those throughout the whole car at all the connections. i dont remember which one it is exactly. green or green/white. i know for sure one is for your brake lights and the other is for parking lights. you can find that wire in the kick panel, drivers door sill, front lights, as well as at the tail lights.
Old 04-06-09, 12:23 AM
lpolo69
Pole Position

Are your taillights accumulating moisture? Blown bulb ? Or even a rusted taillight harness?
Old 04-07-09, 10:45 AM
vert310
Rookie

Definitely right about the front parking lights being out as well. So what should I do now, just try to follow the wire around the car to look for any loose connections ?
Old 04-07-09, 08:57 PM
Chadricco
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vert310
Definitely right about the front parking lights being out as well. So what should I do now, just try to follow the wire around the car to look for any loose connections ?
That's pretty much how you have to start the process. Focus in the area which may have been effected by the collision. If a harness was squished, it may look fine on the outside, but wire(s) broken or shorted on the inside.

Another approach is to measure resistance between + and - at each connector/socket with the bulb unplugged/removed. Reinstall, then compare to readings to the same bulb connector/socket on the opposite side of the car. If one measures significantly fewer Ohms than others, you may have at least figured out which wire color is shorted! Then the fun of tracking down the short location begins......

Chasing electrical issues in cars today will drive you to drink! Be certain to have many beverages on hand and clear children from the area, or they may pick up some "new" words.

Good luck!
-Chad