SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Wrecked 1993 SC300 5-Spd

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-09, 05:31 PM
Jewel707
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrecked 1993 SC300 5-Spd

Hey i was thinking about buying a wrecked Manual SC. The guy wants 1300 but i think i can talk him down a bit more. The hood,bumper,and fenders are no good. Says engine is untouched. has about 15x,xxx miles. Worth it? Black interior with some weird custom paint job on 22's but i told him i dont want the rims.
Old 04-05-09, 06:11 PM
Ryeno
Banned

Why would u want a wrecked car? The only useful thing in that car would be the manual gauge cluster and black interior. But imo that isnt worth a f'd up car.

Plus a good paint job on that car would cost more then finding a clean sc with a good paint job to being with

Last edited by Ryeno; 04-05-09 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-05-09, 06:16 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 382 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryeno
Why would u want a wrecked car? The only useful thing in that car would be the manual gauge cluster and black interior. But imo that isnt worth a f'd up car.

Plus a good paint job on that car would cost more then finding a clean sc with a good paint job to being with
+2 Even if you did try to haggle, I would go maybe 900-1000 tops
Old 04-05-09, 06:19 PM
vinh
Lexus Champion

I would say get it. If you are pretty mechanically inclined, have space for it, and have a need for spare motor/tranny it's a good deal. You could get that GE motor and w58 tranny as a spare or build it for boost. The black interior alone is worth a pretty penny.

Personally i say go for it. Try to talk it down a little bit though. And if the rims do come with it for that price i would grab those as well. You can sell wheels like that surprisingly easily on craigslist.
Old 04-05-09, 07:56 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

because if some people are mechanically inclined they can fix it themselves and save a ton.

Originally Posted by 1UZ-SC
+2 Even if you did try to haggle, I would go maybe 900-1000 tops
dude you dont know jack and you dont have a single god damn constructive statement on this forum yet....please shut it.

to the OP....

depending on the damage its a toss up. post a picture of it. if the damage is bad you will need a lot of body work and get it on a chassis alignment rack to make sure the frame is straight. if you dont have connections the use of one can get pretty costly.

you will also need the body panels. you can get a kit right away and kill two birds with one stone or fins some stock ones for cheap. either way it is all going to have to be painted.

i say post the pic of the car before doing anything. take the pictures to several body shops and get quotes on repairs.

basically if the car was in good, non damaged shape, with 150,000 miles it would be worth around 4500-5000.

add up the costs of all parts and labor if you are not doing it yourself. if you can handle this project then more power to you. if you cant i would carefully think about it.

the motor, transmission(and all the miscellaneous parts needed for the manual swap), and the interior is well worth over 1000 bucks on its own. you get a differential out of it as well.

on a side note. my buddy bought bought a 93 sc300 5sp last summer for a 1000 bucks. ran flawless. all it needed was a wheel bearing, 80 bucks total, and body work. it had a pretty bad rust cancer on the driver quarter panel. other then that it was pretty clean for a 93.

good luck. let us know what you do
Old 04-05-09, 08:05 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 382 Likes on 225 Posts

dude what's your problem? Something crawl up your ***? You just said that your friend bought a 5spd for a 1000 dollars with less problems. Why in the hell would you say that my statement is incorrect?
Old 04-05-09, 08:05 PM
pmpdaddyt
Lexus Test Driver

i think it would be a good investment, as long as there is no frame damage
Old 04-05-09, 08:07 PM
Jewel707
Pole Position

5sp_jzz30: Thanks for the input. Yea my plan was to make use of the transmission, since i already have a daily driver i wanted to make this more of a project(but definitely not a get it done in a year type thing). Like i said when i looked at it it was just front end damage the interior and the rest of the body was flawless. Ill try and get pictures in. I am just concerned that there MAY be frame damage that he isnt telling me, which is probably what will draw me away. How much is getting it on a chassis alignment rack generally? Again thanks for the input.

I drove the car and it runs great even on the freeway, so i might go back this week and haggle a little bit more. Again guys i just dont want you guys thinking im trying to get an SC the cheap way. I just seen potential in it and a lot of time saved by getting it in manual already. Anyways, anymore input would be greatly appreciated.

Also how hard is it to find the 97+ front end. This may be a chance to go ahead and knock that off the list.
Old 04-05-09, 08:28 PM
Ryeno
Banned

Originally Posted by Jewel707
I drove the car and it runs great even on the freeway, so i might go back this week and haggle a little bit more. Again guys i just dont want you guys thinking im trying to get an SC the cheap way. I just seen potential in it and a lot of time saved by getting it in manual already. Anyways, anymore input would be greatly appreciated.
If that car has a narly paint job as you say, i just cant see how its gonna be cheeper. Paint costs an arm and leg unless you have connections.

As for saving time with a manual. True its a bit easier but the stock manual tranny sucks, if the car has 150 miles on it, the clutch pedal might break and either way you gotta swap out that engine.
Also how hard is it to find the 97+ front end. This may be a chance to go ahead and knock that off the list.
Junkyard? Fairly hard, for whatever reason most cars in junkyards are damaged on the front.
Old 04-05-09, 08:30 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1UZ-SC
dude what's your problem? Something crawl up your ***? You just said that your friend bought a 5spd for a 1000 dollars with less problems. Why in the hell would you say that my statement is incorrect?
quiet high schooler....

to the OP:

dude its all good. do what you feel is right.

just because you get an SC on the cheap and fix it and make it what you want it to be doesnt mean its a bad car. yes this is lexus community and the amount of money you spend impresses people, more is always better. it is not true at all though.

for example if you were looking for a drift or track project that car would be prefect. you would get rid of a lot of broken parts anyways for upgrades or to save weight.
Old 04-05-09, 08:34 PM
Ryeno
Banned

Oh ya i just thought of this but isnt black interior not offered on 1993 models?
Old 04-05-09, 08:37 PM
Jewel707
Pole Position

Oh ya i just thought of this but isnt black interior not offered on 1993 models?
Not exactly sure. But this one definitely has a black interior, whatever year it may be, it has it lol. But he says it's 1993. Anyways im having second thoughts. We'll see.
Old 04-05-09, 09:45 PM
Avarec
Lexus Test Driver

you want a project my man?????? There it is, if it rides and handles good enough on freeway then sure as hell its worth the fixing, sometime you have to take risk in life, grow ***** they say
Old 04-05-09, 11:03 PM
Ryeno
Banned

Not exactly sure. But this one definitely has a black interior, whatever year it may be, it has it lol. But he says it's 1993. Anyways im having second thoughts. We'll see.
I am almost 100 percent sure black interior is only offered on 95+ models.

Lets see 93 chassis with changed exterior paint and changed interior. I would say either fire or flood damage.
Old 04-05-09, 11:10 PM
bangdangvn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am almost 100 percent sure black interior is only offered on 95+ models.

Lets see 93 chassis with changed exterior paint and changed interior. I would say either fire or flood damage.
OR he swapped in black interior like we all try to do.

Quick Reply: Wrecked 1993 SC300 5-Spd