SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Where\How Rear Windshield Wiper

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-09, 05:49 PM
lawrenceO
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2.5tsoarer
I have mine on a sep. switch, if you get the JDM switch your turn signal arm will be on the opposing side, not something I wanted to get used too.
My Soarer indicator arm is on the right, and the wiper on the left. Is the SC the reverse?

I wouldn't have thought they'd do that. In my experience European cars such as VW have the indicator on the left and Japanese cars on the right....
Old 04-14-09, 05:55 PM
Amini9
Lexus Test Driver

i'm pretty sure cars in the US, have the wiper arm on the right, and the signal arm stuff on the left. thts house it is for both the bmws we have and my brothers volvo.
Old 04-14-09, 06:04 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they sold the glass and wiper in the states I'd definitely buy it. It would be better than me always wiping it down in the morning when it gets real misty. I wonder where you'd buy a replacement wiper blade though?
Old 04-14-09, 08:04 PM
2.5tsoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JspecSC3
If they sold the glass and wiper in the states I'd definitely buy it. It would be better than me always wiping it down in the morning when it gets real misty. I wonder where you'd buy a replacement wiper blade though?
From what I've seen wipers are sold by standard sizes ,nothing custom. At the auto parts store you will see them labeled in inches : 18", 22" 24" etc. I got mine glass and wiper from Jhot

Originally Posted by lawrenceO
My Soarer indicator arm is on the right, and the wiper on the left. Is the SC the reverse?

I wouldn't have thought they'd do that. In my experience European cars such as VW have the indicator on the left and Japanese cars on the right....
That is correct the USDM is reversed.
Old 04-14-09, 09:21 PM
drft_n_sc
Pole Position

2.5tsoarer: I started to prep my car to do th JDM rear windshield and went to Radioshack and bought a push button and modified it to fit where the power button to the stock radio goes to, I was able to use the stock power button ... it was very easy, I'll have to see about doing a write up since I'm going to b doing the same thing to my brother's power button so he can have a switch for his foglights.

and to everyone that wants to do the rear windshield wiper mod, its very easy ... just get a glass shop to swap it out for you, you have to cut out the hole where the wiper motor fits through but thats super easy, I think the hardest part for me was removing the tint on the glass that I got. as far as the wiring goes, you just need one wire to activate the motor, if you want it to swing back when you shut it off you have to get a relay, you can use a supra rear wiper relay, but they are $250 from toyota ... but if you don't want to spend that kind of money, then you just have to time it manually.
Old 04-15-09, 10:28 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by drft_n_sc
2.5tsoarer: I started to prep my car to do th JDM rear windshield and went to Radioshack and bought a push button and modified it to fit where the power button to the stock radio goes to, I was able to use the stock power button ... it was very easy, I'll have to see about doing a write up since I'm going to b doing the same thing to my brother's power button so he can have a switch for his foglights.

and to everyone that wants to do the rear windshield wiper mod, its very easy ... just get a glass shop to swap it out for you, you have to cut out the hole where the wiper motor fits through but thats super easy, I think the hardest part for me was removing the tint on the glass that I got. as far as the wiring goes, you just need one wire to activate the motor, if you want it to swing back when you shut it off you have to get a relay, you can use a supra rear wiper relay, but they are $250 from toyota ... but if you don't want to spend that kind of money, then you just have to time it manually.
please hook us up with a write up I have been thinking of using the radio power button as well
Old 04-15-09, 10:37 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JspecSC3
Jhot sells them on eBay all day. they are cheap. last i checked it was 200 shipped for the window, motor, wiper arm, combination switch, and electronics.

Originally Posted by drft_n_sc

you dont need a supra relay. you can one from any car really. go to a yard and take one off a mk3 supra or st162 celica(86-89). you will pay no more then 10 bucks for one.

relay is the best way to go and wiring is not going to be bad at all. last thing you want to do is drive in the rain and try to time when you shut off the wiper. maybe its just me though.
Old 04-15-09, 01:29 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
Jhot sells them on eBay all day. they are cheap. last i checked it was 200 shipped for the window, motor, wiper arm, combination switch, and electronics.

you dont need a supra relay. you can one from any car really. go to a yard and take one off a mk3 supra or st162 celica(86-89). you will pay no more then 10 bucks for one.

relay is the best way to go and wiring is not going to be bad at all. last thing you want to do is drive in the rain and try to time when you shut off the wiper. maybe its just me though.
I strongly agree. I'll probably be giving Jhot a call sometime in the near future.

~Nice siggie by the way. ~
Old 04-15-09, 03:37 PM
2.5tsoarer
Lexus Test Driver

^ they thought I was nuts when I requested that from them in '04. He asked if I just needed the glass or the whole frame around it,lol

btw can't wait to see the write up !
Old 04-15-09, 05:36 PM
FuMoFFuTT
Lexus Test Driver

i'm so happy my soarer has one already..
Old 04-15-09, 06:32 PM
drft_n_sc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
i'm an idiot! i had called like 30 different places looking for a retarded relay for a supra and never thought of just swinging by a junk yard to get one off a celica!

i guess i know now where i'll be tomorrow!

and i'll start a write up on the power button sometime this week, i just have to go by radioshack and get that switch
Old 04-15-09, 09:20 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^

good luck. keep us updated. make a drawing or schematic of what you do for future reference.
Old 08-18-09, 11:54 AM
2.5tsoarer
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_wWUslsIMo

Wiper in action. I just installed the new style blade for an updated look.
Old 08-18-09, 12:00 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nice cant wait to do it to mine
Old 08-19-09, 06:14 PM
chashiubow
Pole Position

wow...nice work.

Quick Reply: Where\How Rear Windshield Wiper