SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Should I buy this and sell my 98 SC400 Plat/Blk

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-09, 10:23 PM
$loJam
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Should I buy this and sell my 98 SC400 Plat/Blk

I'm thinking about offering a cash offer for this 2000 CL 500 AMG sitting on lowenheart dubs with 85k on the clock. Does anyone here have this ride or know anyone with this ride and can tell me how the reliability is with these cars? Is maint more than our cars? Your feedback would be appreciated. Does this Benz look VIP gangsta or what?

Buy this..

and sell this...

Old 04-05-09, 10:51 PM
alotakoon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep the lex + add baller wheels with a drop and then see if you still want the benz to where it would cost you a fortune to get it fixed if there were problems..
Old 04-05-09, 10:51 PM
Ryeno
Banned

Just like what the people on supra forums say about selling supras. If you actually need to think about it then yes sell your car, so someone who can appropriate the sc gets it.

Me personally i would NEVER buy a Mercedes Benz or a BMW or new Lexus for that matter.
Old 04-05-09, 10:58 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't know much about the reliability of CL AMG, but I've always liked them and that AMG badge just makes it extra special
Old 04-05-09, 11:00 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

from my experiences with Mercedes, they are about as reliable as a Jag...

keep your lex.
Old 04-05-09, 11:23 PM
SoarerAZ
Pole Position

Mercedes Benz is a hit or miss with reliability. Though (IMO) this car is MUCH nicer than an SC, you'll want to consider the longterm cost of ownership regardless of how well this car is priced....

MB's have a crap resale on them. PERIOD.Just because it sells for a great price, doesn't mean the maintenance price will be just as appealing. Trust me, most people who own MB's for long periods of time can afford to maintain them. Those who don't, learn the hard way extremely fast.

I'm willing to bet there are members of this forum who'll vouch for MB's...frankly, I've seen and have dealt with too many issues on them working in parts/service for them to get my thumbs up. Amazing to look at, and even drive if your into comfort. In the long term (again, IMO) not for those with a light wallet.
Old 04-05-09, 11:31 PM
TankMR
Lead Lap

Benz & Lexus made the two most reliable V8s cars ever. W140s last way over 200,000 miles with a similar engine. You could run that car into the ground almost like an SC. It does take much more regular maintenance and special attention though. Parts are expensive as hell. People complain about MBZ reliability usually because the warranty on their Benz runs out and they think they can just keep driving with no problems until they have to pay an arm and a leg for something that was otherwise preventable. Again, very expensive to maintain.

AMG MBZs have the most laughable resale values imaginable. Anyone who forks out $129,000 for a new S63 would be lucky for it not to depreciate $50,000 in 3 years. But you don't have to worry about that.

I'm in the same boat as you, I was seriously looking at a 2003 S55 AMG some weeks back.
Old 04-05-09, 11:38 PM
Ryeno
Banned

Originally Posted by TankMR
Benz & Lexus made the two most reliable V8s cars ever. W140s last way over 200,000 miles with a similar engine. You could run that car into the ground almost like an SC.
egh i dont find the sc to be the best quality car, The only reason i like it more then other cars is because the parts (online) cost as much as toyota parts. So its relatively cheep to fix. My sc300 and sc400 are at 135 and 139k, respectfully, and both are losing oil.
Old 04-06-09, 12:12 AM
ShiftyD2k
Lead Lap

Keep ur sc
Old 04-06-09, 12:14 AM
$loJam
Pole Position

Thanks for the feedback everybody!
I've had some experience with MB, my grandparents had 7 new ones back in the day, a brand new one every 6 years or so. The last one they sold that they bought off the show room floor was a 1975 480 SL conv, sold it with 48k on clock in nearly mint condition. They just did regular maint and it was about 1k everytime it went in the shop and this was in the 80's. I know it must cost way more now. I hear the CL's have electrical problems.

I think I'm going to keep the Lex. It took me forever to find an almost mint 1 owner 98+ sc 400 with black interior. I also have a 2005 RX 330 breakwater blue with all options (I luv this soccer mom suv lol). I really don't want 3 cars but dam that Mercedes looks hot. It was either a MB CL or a 2006 Infinity G35 6mt blk/blk w/ Nav. G35's are too common though and not really much faster than my 98 sc 400 stock.
Old 04-06-09, 12:26 AM
sleathlysc
Rookie

i knew a guy that had a 1994 mercedes big body s600 and it cost him like 500 dollars to just give it a tune up and do regular maintance on the car . And this was from a regular mechanic certified in benz and audi. It's the kind of car to have when you have made it to a point in your lifestyle that you can affort a car like this. Great car but i would choose the lexus hands down
Old 04-06-09, 01:17 AM
$loJam
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sleathlysc
i knew a guy that had a 1994 mercedes big body s600 and it cost him like 500 dollars to just give it a tune up and do regular maintance on the car . And this was from a regular mechanic certified in benz and audi. It's the kind of car to have when you have made it to a point in your lifestyle that you can affort a car like this. Great car but i would choose the lexus hands down
True. Mercedes is a status car which I could care less about. I just admire their styling. I could afford it but who wants to drop 1k everytime the sob acts up. When I was in college back in 94 I worked at The Addison on the Ocean on A1A (Ocean Blvd) in Boca Raton, FL. I was a personal valet to millionaires/billionaires. I've driven everything from Mercedes to Rolls and Bentleys. I fell in love with the Lexus SC when I drove it for the first time in 94, a brand spanking new one. The older mercedes REALLY lose performance when they get old with a lot of mileage UNLIKE our SC's. I don't know about the new one's though. The MB's were always in the shop back then and they were brand new or a couple years old. I'll pass on the MB. Nice to look at though.

Off topic: True story:
When I was a kid I was also a valet at the Boca Resort & Club in Boca. This young rich kid came to the hotel with a brand new canary yellow drop top Ferrari Testerosa. They usually kept the baller's rides up front for VIP treatment. The kid was a total azzhole so they let me take the bad boy to back parking lot. I drove real nice and slow until I turned I turned the corner. I honked the horn to the other valets in the shack. We all took turns peeling out and hauling azz around the parking lot like speed racer . The parking lot was huge too. That was one bad azz car lol. That kid needed a new set of rear low pros when we got done with it haha! Good times back then.

Moral of this story: Don't EVER valet your car. Many valets are thieves and will hot dog your ride.

Last edited by $loJam; 04-06-09 at 01:20 AM.
Old 04-06-09, 01:26 AM
$loJam
Pole Position

Originally Posted by alotakoon
Keep the lex + add baller wheels with a drop and then see if you still want the benz to where it would cost you a fortune to get it fixed if there were problems..

I'm thinking about some Giovanni wheelz and a drop. I just took my car out of winter storage. I've had the car for a couple of years now but I'm having a hard time deciding on what wheels I want.
Old 04-06-09, 12:14 PM
VJZ
Lead Lap

Keep the SC.

The only Benz I would buy would be for a DD, which would be an early 90's 190 E.
Old 04-06-09, 12:54 PM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

MB used to be solid reliable cars.......untill they merged with chrysler, then quality went down the ****ter. Now dont get me wrong the S65/SL65 AMG are badass but not really practical to own unless you are a millionaire and maint.and quality isnt an issue.

Check this site out for good MB info. http://www.mercedes-benz-usa.com/cl_class.php

The ONLY benz i would buy would be an OLD school (mid 80's) 300D because they can go 400k or more at 30+mpg

Quick Reply: Should I buy this and sell my 98 SC400 Plat/Blk