SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

So i calculated how much money i need to complete my sc and...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-09, 09:51 PM
P Weezy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ryeno
...it came out to around 15 thousand dollars. No shipping.
Holy cow!!!! lol

Thats alooot of dinero
Old 04-07-09, 12:20 AM
SoarerAZ
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexAnt
not necessarily, good stuff don't come cheap. I've already invested 24k and that's only listing things I haven't replaced in terms of maintenance/foolishness/misc.

8k - suspension
5k - ikeya formula
5k - hre
4k - bride seats
2.5k - vertex kit...

so the things can easily add up pretty quick.
That's what you call doing it properly.
Old 04-07-09, 02:19 AM
vinh
Lexus Champion

it's one thing to make a list that adds up to 15k compared to having a list that amounts to 15k already spent. Just take it slow and buy things as you deem necessary. Right now that might be the route you want to go with, but in a few years things might change. Just do whatever you have the funds for at the moment.

But that 15k price tag is pretty crazy once you begin to realize that this shizz will really cost that much to do haha.
Old 04-07-09, 04:18 AM
Rix Sc400
Driver School Candidate

just hope your starter never goes.
and at the time right when you get it fixed you have to replace the whole ecu because the previous owner ghetto rigged a " ILL BOOMIN SUB SYSTEMM " horribly.

good luck SCpending
Old 04-07-09, 05:29 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Ahh the wishlist... it never stops

Just did my calculations, and it comes in just under 34K Aussie bucks (or about 23K USD)... my better half is NOT going to be impressed lol

Hopefully also adding a UZZ31 (4.0GT Limited... good condition leather, working EMV screen, repaired air suspension etc) pretty soon to my keep my current Soarer company... can't stay away from the things

Last edited by BLK13X; 04-07-09 at 06:32 AM.
Old 04-07-09, 06:18 AM
UZZ30-SC4
Lexus Test Driver

its both.

Honestly my lack of funding isnt really my biggest challenge right now. Its the fact that I have no place to store a 2jz-gte engine or a r154 transmission. I can easily put on some fat rims, hypercoils and ls400 brake calipers but that wont make my car go fast.

As for carson toyota, honestly i get better deals from south coast toyota. I have gone their sooooo many times that they give 10 percent over wholesale prices. I highly recommend everyone to make friends with their local toyota parts department.
List is usually only 18% above wholesale, this is because we make our money mostly in our wholesale, so it has to be up there. To put you into perspective, wholesale is usually 20-50% above cost. Depending on the dealership your dealing with, for example where i work, we are at 37% above cost, so if we gave you 10% BELOW wholesale, THEN you're getting a good deal.

The best thing to do is just make AWESOME friends with a single parts guy at a toyota dealership, and he could sell you the parts at HIS cost, 11% above actual dealership cost
Old 04-07-09, 07:53 AM
Enigma8246
Lead Lap

anyone who has a true passion for cars will never be done modding their vehicles. they'll always be looking to improve what they already have. (especially as new products come out)

maybe it should have been "the relentless and endless pursuit of perfection"
Old 04-07-09, 08:27 AM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

anyone who has a true passion for cars will never be done modding their vehicles. they'll always be looking to improve what they already have.
+1
Old 04-07-09, 08:41 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

It's never ending, I've had my car just over 5 years and I've learned a lot from my mistakes. I went from 2jzge to stock twins 1j to single 1j to stock twins 2jzgte to now single 2jzgte. Not to mention wheels, think I'm on my fifth set lol. Now I'm trying to focus on my interior and other minor stuff. After that I'm not sure lol........well I have an idea but as I said it's never ending ha ha.....

I suggest you do it right from the beginning and don't skimp on anything.
Old 04-07-09, 10:14 AM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

I was going to say that it adds up very very quickly. I have not done anything cosmetically to the car and I have almost 10K into it. I started with a complete suspension overhaul with every bar and crossmember. I then put coilovers on. I also have put wheels and tires on. Then I moved to the engine and got a GTE engine with USDM TT parts added to it. Supra TT ECU and Harness. Then moving to the gated shifter. After I get the car running (waiting on heanress...still ) I will begin the interior overhaul. After that the exterior will get done. Then I get to the big dollar items like the 6spd conversion and engine upgrades. So yes, adds up quick.
Old 04-07-09, 10:27 AM
Ryeno
Banned

Originally Posted by cherplex
It's never ending, I've had my car just over 5 years and I've learned a lot from my mistakes. I went from 2jzge to stock twins 1j to single 1j to stock twins 2jzgte to now single 2jzgte. Not to mention wheels, think I'm on my fifth set lol. Now I'm trying to focus on my interior and other minor stuff. After that I'm not sure lol........well I have an idea but as I said it's never ending ha ha.....

I suggest you do it right from the beginning and don't skimp on anything.
What made you go from the 1jz-gte to the 2jz-gte?
Originally Posted by UZZ30-SC4
List is usually only 18% above wholesale, this is because we make our money mostly in our wholesale, so it has to be up there. To put you into perspective, wholesale is usually 20-50% above cost. Depending on the dealership your dealing with, for example where i work, we are at 37% above cost, so if we gave you 10% BELOW wholesale, THEN you're getting a good deal.

The best thing to do is just make AWESOME friends with a single parts guy at a toyota dealership, and he could sell you the parts at HIS cost, 11% above actual dealership cost
Well for instance the trd shift **** i am using was listed at like 72 bucks and i got it for 37. How much did i pay over cost?
Originally Posted by ZMEGOBY
I was going to say that it adds up very very quickly. I have not done anything cosmetically to the car and I have almost 10K into it. I started with a complete suspension overhaul with every bar and crossmember. I then put coilovers on. I also have put wheels and tires on. Then I moved to the engine and got a GTE engine with USDM TT parts added to it. Supra TT ECU and Harness. Then moving to the gated shifter. After I get the car running (waiting on heanress...still ) I will begin the interior overhaul. After that the exterior will get done. Then I get to the big dollar items like the 6spd conversion and engine upgrades. So yes, adds up quick.
I was thinking about doing a usdm conversion on a jdm engine but i found it was really pointless for me. I think it would be a waste to upgrade to usdm then throw away all those usdm parts when i single it. Plus i hear you can run a manual tranny on the auto ecu.

Last edited by Ryeno; 04-07-09 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-07-09, 10:29 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

$15,000 I wish! I am so upside down in my car.
Old 04-07-09, 10:41 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

What made you go from the 1jz-gte to the 2jz-gte?
Bragging rights lol............I wonder sometimes I would have been at my power goals and beyond by now with the 1jzgte but I did get a good deal on the usdm motor.
Old 04-07-09, 10:42 AM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I chuckled at myself the other day about this same subject...so I guess I'll share with you guys on what I roughly spent.

After buying my 300 cash,
I did the obvious first...and that was to service the whole car from front to back.

Here is what I've spent on getting her to run up to par...

All OEM parts:
- New Cylinder Head assembly and Gasket Kit
- New Radiator assembly
- New Rear Main and Front Pump seals
- New Timing Belt/Water Pump/Cam and Crank Seals
- New Oil Pan and Gasket and Dipstick O-Ring
- New Distributor Cap and Rotor assembly
- New Spark Plugs and Wires
- New EGR Modulator Assembly
- New Lower Mid Cross member assembly
- New Engine and Transmission Mounts
- New Steering Rack and Pinion assembly
- New Battery
- New Supra Turbo LCA's

This was over $4,000 with out the labor!!!

After that was done, I invested over $13k in aftermarket goodies and paintwork(Full 97 conversion, Wheels/Tires, Suspension, Brakes, etc.). And this doesn't even include all the smaller JDM items like my Tunnel Mat and Emblems...LoL

Here is the kicker...I haven't even touched my Interior or upgraded my stereo system...I also plan to boost later on when I'm actually ready to put her under a real knife...LOL
Old 04-07-09, 10:43 AM
autoboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Calculation!!!! thats a freakin scary word. Last time i calculated what i spend on my car i almost had a heart attack.

Quick Reply: So i calculated how much money i need to complete my sc and...