SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Car TOTALED from getting Keyed!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-09 | 08:36 PM
vietunit
Lexus Champion

Wow, I never knew a car can be totaled by getting keyed. What a shame and sorry for your loss. Hopefully you can get a bit more $ from the adjuster.
Old 04-07-09 | 08:59 PM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Damn, I just had my car deemed 'totaled.' I don't really mind since I plan on keeping the car for a while. Plus if I sell, I can sell for a low price, part out the expensive stuff, and I'll still come out on top. Unfortunately its not the same situation for you. If you total it then you'll be the 3rd SC owner from CL to total their car in a week! ahah what are the odds
Old 04-07-09 | 10:11 PM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Originally Posted by ERXRX7
You dont have to accept their offer.
after a while the adjuster will want to close it, keep buggin em
you can eventually have a median appraisal done to the car and they should give you a bit more.
Very interesting. I think I will do this. He told me that if I have any receipts to add value to the car then I should submit them tomorrow or he'll assume I'm not going to submit them and then they are going to give me a final offer.

I'm going to let this draw out and see how it plays out. The salvage bid came in at $550. The deductable is $500, and A smog check and safety check is $50, so I'm out $1100 off the top of the $3200. Which leaves me with $2100 bucks.

I'd really like to see more like $3000. If you drove my car which is mechanically flawless, maintained to the max and SUPER tight, you'd agree that it's no average 192K mile SC and it's worth more than $3200. Hell I just put a new cap/rotor/plugwire set from LEXUS on there last week.
Old 04-08-09 | 12:29 AM
camberSC
Lexus Champion

I'm sorry man.... Buy it back or like others have stated, retract from the claim.
Old 04-08-09 | 06:28 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Wow, totalling a car because it has been keyed... that's a first :\ Hopefully they won't end up totalling the your car, seems like a ridiculous idea.

So over in the USA, modifications can't be insured? That'd suck!
Old 04-08-09 | 07:35 AM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BLK13X
Wow, totalling a car because it has been keyed... that's a first :\ Hopefully they won't end up totalling the your car, seems like a ridiculous idea.

So over in the USA, modifications can't be insured? That'd suck!

they can in a way, but you have to tell your insurance company about them.

Only reason the car can be totalled out because of a keying, is our cars aren't worth as much as they used to be and our insurance companies are not going to give us $4k to paint a car that books for 6 or 7k

which really sucks, i think my car deserves a $4k paint job
Old 04-08-09 | 03:59 PM
markesc
Lead Lap

Out of curiousity as me and many others have sank thousands into these cars.... is there a way to simply insure the car for a higher value and just pay a higher monthly payment? Say I want to have the car insured for a total value of $15k?... is this possible?
Old 04-08-09 | 04:17 PM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by markesc
Out of curiousity as me and many others have sank thousands into these cars.... is there a way to simply insure the car for a higher value and just pay a higher monthly payment? Say I want to have the car insured for a total value of $15k?... is this possible?
yeah i think there might be a limit or something, but if you tell your insurance company about upgrades you have you can pay more and insure some of those parts, receipts might help as well..
Old 04-08-09 | 06:06 PM
92blacktt
Intermediate

I think its the buick riviera guys.

They have teamed up and planned to key all the SC guys out there.

I think its time we hit em back, and hit em back hard!!!

I would suspect most rivieras are located in midwest junkyards
Old 04-08-09 | 06:17 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Sorry to hear about your loss man... Go with State Farm... They are awesome... I have 1992 SC, and 2002 BMW 330i and its only 140 a month with everything and a 0 deductible, and rental.....
Old 04-08-09 | 06:22 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

If you love it and are planning to keep modding it I say take the hit and buy it back. Thats what I did with my SC.
Old 04-10-09 | 12:36 AM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

I read alot of the posts in this thread, and so far, I've read nothing but positive comments about State Farm insurance, and to think at one point, I wanted to get rid of them as my insurance provider...Sure they're expensive, But I guess it'll be worth it if something should happen to my car (God forbid).
Old 04-10-09 | 08:38 AM
2.5tsoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by markesc
there are insurance companies that specialize in insuring customized cars and insure it for what the value of the car is modified not that the blue book says.
www.hagerty.com
http://www.hagerty.com/NewsManager/t...1090&zoneid=71
Old 04-10-09 | 09:52 AM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Well I had the estimate transfered to the east coast where the labor rates are much less expensive.

The estimate has now dropped from the original 6800 down to $4200!

$4200 is in the ball park. Now I need to bridge the gap between that figure and the $3200 my car is worth and I think I could get at least an appearance allowance.

I need to make my car worth more money and make the estimate cost less.

I think the estimator included old damage onto my estimate, so if I can remove some of that stuff and get the parts costs down, like charging me $300 for one used headlight and $150 for a used mirror and $199 for a door molding and 3 hours to remove a sidewindow to paint, etc, etc

I might be able to save my car from totaling.

Thank you all so much for your support! I'm not going to give in that easy.

How can I suggest to the insurance company to get an independent appraiser to appraise the value of my car and what sorts of things REALLY count toward the cars value?
Old 04-10-09 | 06:24 PM
markesc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2.5tsoarer
there are insurance companies that specialize in insuring customized cars and insure it for what the value of the car is modified not that the blue book says.
www.hagerty.com
http://www.hagerty.com/NewsManager/t...1090&zoneid=71
Awesome thanks bro.... I might hit them up.... I don't DD the Lex, and it stays in a garage and I generally flip out if people even breath on it...

Quick Reply: Car TOTALED from getting Keyed!