SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Is the SC delegated to Cheese Status Now?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-09, 09:22 PM
$loJam
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRD_Power
People trash nice cars no matter what... There are A LOT of nice SC's out there and a few I don't personally care for, but if the owner is happy then that's all that matters. If you want to talk about nice cars with horrible mods, work for a Bentley/Lambo dealership like I did... Everything from red Continental GT's with wood wheels and straight pipes to gold Diablo's with 3-spoke wheels and rainbow LV interior... Doesn't matter what kinda car it is, there will always be some out there you don't personally care for.

True BUT you don't see those cars riced out as often. Show me a corvette, porche, lambo, bentley or rolls forum with "riced" out whips. It will be like finding a needle in a haystack. Also, price is only a small factor. I believe the respect factor has taken a hit with our cars. You can buy an old vette or porche for just a few thousand bucks BUT you will very rarely see a vette riced out or a 300z for that matter. You know why, b/c there is a level of respect for classic cars. I feel our car's respect is fading now. The head turning days are coming to an end.
Old 04-08-09, 09:23 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

I understand where you are coming from to a point about the car not becoming a classic, but comparing a Civic to an SC really does not make sense and kinda makes this seem like something from Fast and Furious. The Civic is well respected for gas mileage, cheap and reliable and was never intended to be a fast sporty car, just as the SC was intended to be a luxury sports coupe not a fast car such as a Vette or Porsche. I would never compare the reputation of the Civic, Porsche or Vette to the SC seeing how they are in 2 different classes entirely.

If you need a car to get women you are going after the type of girl and need to step your game up, honestly. A woman who puts her full judgment in what kind of car you drive is a gold digger plane and simple. A well done SC is a beautiful car and always will be and will attract women alot more than any Civic.

[QUOTE=$loJam;4418233]
Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
SC is a car. plain and simple. it does not have history like the corvette, 300zx, or porsche. all those cars have respect and an insane idealism and following due to the lifestyle, way of thinking, and racing heritage that they convey to the public.

the SC has none of those caharacteristics. it was built as an expensive luxury car for a doctor or a lawyer to put around town in. in that respect you are right. the car's intended purpose is no longer it. i havent seen many 50-60 year old lawyers and doctors on this forum asking about advice on the 2jz swap or wheel fitment.

the civic still has a good reputation as an economic daily driver. i dont know where you live, possible Fast Ln in Furious country of some Tokyo drift area, lol, but i cant think of a single person that will make fun of anyone for driving a civic no matter whether its stock or modded.

you sound like you are 5 years old and didnt get your favorite Lego set for christmas.

simce youre that sensitive to modding heres a primer for you:

I figured the disrespect would come eventually. I wasn't talking about your ride so chill kid.

I was just talking to a female friend of mine and I asked her what her new boyfriend drives, she laughed and said a Civic. Chicks no longer dig civics. I think most non-gay guys want to impress a woman and a civic no longer cuts it if you know what I mean.

Btw, if you were as intelligent as you think you are you would have noticed in my avatar that I live in Ohio. You should know there is no fast and furious lane this way like California or Tokyo lol.
Old 04-08-09, 09:32 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by $loJam
True BUT you don't see those cars riced out as often. Show me a corvette, porche, lambo, bentley or rolls forum with "riced" out whips. It will be like finding a needle in a haystack. Also, price is only a small factor. I believe the respect factor has taken a hit with our cars. You can buy an old vette or porche for just a few thousand bucks BUT you will very rarely see a vette riced out or a 300z for that matter. You know why, b/c there is a level of respect for classic cars. I feel our car's respect is fading now. The head turning days are coming to an end.
I'd say well over half the cars that came in had tasteless mods, but that's just my opinion. My SC really stands out around where I live (even with my minimal mods) because 90% of them are bone stock with old people driving them. Dunno how it is elsewhere, but around my neck of the woods the SC's are stock so I have no complaints about tasteless mods on them. I wouldn't let it get to you though, man... Just appreciate your own car, make it look great, and then show the rest up
Old 04-08-09, 09:32 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

head turning day?...those exist for our cars.

i never knew our cars can turn heads in stock form. i knew of an SC for a very long time since i worked at a toyota/lexus specialty shop but other then that i never cared about the car. i started noticing in on the street only because i had one.

the way our car work is simple. the only people that know of its existance and appreciate it are the people that own them. and thats all that should matter.

everyone knows of the corvette, porsche, and the civic. i cant say that i know many people that know much about the SC and they are car guys. people that are not into cars at all are even worse. i have to explain my car to them as the "2 door sports coupe lexus" and they still give me a funny look.

mention the corvette and everyone will have a story of how they drove one, owned one, or their neighbor has/had one.

there are a lot of stock cars that turn head. SC stock is not one of them. sad but try. truth hurts....
Old 04-08-09, 09:41 PM
$loJam
Pole Position

a "few" years ago the 2000 sc400 was never worth 20k. i dont know where you have been looking.

Here is a link where a member sold his 2000 Lexus SC 400 threee years ago with 20k miles on the clock for $24k. He was thinking of buying it back but didn't want lose his friendship with this guy by offering what it's worth now, mind you the car has only 68k miles now.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...000-sc400.html

Last edited by $loJam; 04-08-09 at 09:45 PM.
Old 04-08-09, 09:46 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 362 Likes on 231 Posts

For the record I never respected the civic.
Old 04-08-09, 09:48 PM
horent135
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SC is really way ahead in design back in the 90's, it taken them like 15 yrs or so to catch up in the design. Yes the SC might be looking delegated but it had a long good run too. Of course, others will catch up, and it might be the time now. SC is still a car, and I still love it!! SC should be well known
Old 04-08-09, 09:50 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

1) the car is only worth as much as youre willing to pay for it

2) its a single example at 24000 bucks and the car also had 20,000 miles at the time.

3) now that same car with that mileage is worth around 10,000 dollars

there is no point of arguing how much the car is worth. if i find an idiot tomorrow that will pay 10k for mine i will take it in a second and come back here with the bill of sale to prove you wornd. then in a year you find another outrageous offer and prove me wrong.

the point is that arguing is not getting this anywhere. this thread started as your opinion on the car. others have contributed their opinions as well.

lets just say our cars lost value whether it is due to the economy or age...or both. at this point its nice to buy an SC but suck to sell.

if you want a car that will keep its value, be a vagina magnet, AND go fast get a 1978 porsche 930 turbo

classic with a heritage.

my boss had one, not stock obviously, and that thing was a monster.
Old 04-08-09, 09:53 PM
$loJam
Pole Position

head turning day?...those exist for our cars.

i never knew our cars can turn heads in stock form. i knew of an SC for a very long time since i worked at a toyota/lexus specialty shop but other then that i never cared about the car. i started noticing in on the street only because i had one.

the way our car work is simple. the only people that know of its existance and appreciate it are the people that own them. and thats all that should matter.

everyone knows of the corvette, porsche, and the civic. i cant say that i know many people that know much about the SC and they are car guys. people that are not into cars at all are even worse. i have to explain my car to them as the "2 door sports coupe lexus" and they still give me a funny look.

mention the corvette and everyone will have a story of how they drove one, owned one, or their neighbor has/had one.

there are a lot of stock cars that turn head. SC stock is not one of them. sad but try. truth hurts....
They used to turn heads in stock form. Check out NAS's old video where he is cruising in the hood in a SC 400. My last SC I didn't add wheels untill 2004 and I had the car since 2000. From 2000 to 2004, b4 I added wheels mind you, I got beaucoup compliments on my Silver Spruce Sc 300. I had girls walking up to me asking me what my car was, thinking it was a new model and telling me how awesome it was, and I had the ugly 15" steel sc 300 stocker wheels on. When I lived in South FL I had people staring at my car and asking me to roll down my window to ask about my car.

Dude our car was the shizzle now it's the fizzle. g35 upgrade time boyz.
Old 04-08-09, 09:56 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

They used to turn heads in stock form. Check out NAS's old video where he is cruising in the hood in a SC 400. My last SC I didn't add wheels untill 2004 and I had the car since 2000. From 2000 to 2004, b4 I added wheels mind you, I got beaucoup compliments on my Silver Spruce Sc 300. I had girls walking up to me asking me what my car was, thinking it was a new model and telling me how awesome it was, and I had the ugly 15" steel sc 300 stocker wheels on. When I lived in South FL I had people staring at my car and asking me to roll down my window to ask about my car.

Dude our car was the shizzle now it's the fizzle. g35 upgrade time boyz.
You do realize women are doing that exact samething to the Tiburon and Genesis Coupe, how do I know.....................I had a Tiburon and my buddy has the coupe.
Old 04-08-09, 09:57 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Supra's are never riced out?? have you ever heard of a veilside supra?
Old 04-08-09, 10:03 PM
$loJam
Pole Position

Originally Posted by horent135
SC is really way ahead in design back in the 90's, it taken them like 15 yrs or so to catch up in the design. Yes the SC might be looking delegated but it had a long good run too. Of course, others will catch up, and it might be the time now. SC is still a car, and I still love it!! SC should be well known

You are right man

The SC had a good run! My point was that I think our time is coming to an end. It's sad but true. Cars with sharp lines are being favored now. The sharp line fad will end one day too.

Don't get me wrong I still love the SC. I don't want to sell it but if parts start to get difficult to obtain and the price for parts starts to skyrocket I'm out. I just want to make sure to get out while getting is good. I figure I can pull at least 10k with my plat/blk 98 sc 400 locally or online b/c it looks nearly mint inside and it drives like new, still smells new inside.

The new IS's are tough and the g35 is tempting.
Old 04-08-09, 10:06 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

You are right man

The SC had a good run! My point was that I think our time is coming to an end. It's sad but true. Cars with sharp lines are being favored now. The sharp line fad will end one day too.

Don't get me wrong I still love the SC. I don't want to sell it but if parts start to get difficult to obtain and the price for parts starts to skyrocket I'm out. I just want to make sure to get out while getting is good. I figure I can pull at least 10k with my plat/blk 98 sc 400 locally or online b/c it looks nearly mint inside and it drives like new, still smells new inside.

The new IS's are tough and the g35 is tempting.
$10k.................holy hell man unless you are super low miles I doubt anyone is going to pay that. The highest a SC has sold around here (MA) on private is $7k and that was a for a 98 SC300 with 65k on it.
Old 04-08-09, 10:06 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

i think you need to get rid of your SC and get the G35 like you keep saying. this way you will forget about the car and leave it to people that still like it for what it is and not for what it was or what old people in florida tell you about it.

the only comments about a stock SC you will ever get are "cute car" and "my mom had one" and those comments are usually from high school chicks.

are you one of those that picks up high school chicks with your SC? JK dude.
Old 04-08-09, 10:08 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

i think you need to get rid of your SC and get the G35 like you keep saying. this way you will forget about the car and leave it to people that still like it for what it is and not for what it was or what old people in florida tell you about it.

the only comments about a stock SC you will ever get are "cute car" and "my mom had one" and those comments are usually from high school chicks.

are you one of those that picks up high school chicks with your SC? JK dude.
LOL dude the other day I got "my Grandmother used to own a SC". I literally laughed out loud for a good 3 minutes.

Quick Reply: Is the SC delegated to Cheese Status Now?