SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Is the SC delegated to Cheese Status Now?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-09, 07:34 PM
Enigma8246
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lfrers
LOL
Dude there are SCs and there are done right SCs.
If you know what I mean.
It's like that with any car though. As for mommy and daddy never buying their kid an SL: just because someone gets older/richer doesn't mean their taste gets better. hence most of the rides on the previous page.
Old 04-09-09, 07:51 PM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's all in how you mod it. it's too easy to rice anything on wheels.
Done right, the SC is a classic. Done wrong, it's like any other car.
Old 04-09-09, 08:05 PM
$loJam
Pole Position

Originally Posted by J:M
I think we need to stop bashing on each other and just state our opinion. I've been wanting an SC since 1997, took me 10 years to get one. I'm not tired of it and won't be for a while. What I'm looking forward to is all these JUNK SCs that I see all around the Bay Area to finally meet it's maker and end up in the junker. Sooner they get there, sooner our cars become "classic", whatever your definition of it is. If all that we have left on the street are the SCs that were carefully taken care of and/or modded, it would be awesome. The ration of Junk SCs to Nice SCs in my area are 4:1. I'm in Oakland/San Jose, CA. You see the SC's here, they're either owned by some nice older Asian person who's running their car to the ground or owned by the nice drug dealers, raised on 26s and 6 1/2" speakers in their front grill bumping the latest Bay Area rap CD, dreads hanging out and everything. Look up "Oakland Scraper" in Google, and look it up. As you can see Scrapers can be ANY CAR including BICYCLES. You can't really say, oh, I can't buy Huffy's now as they may be looked down upon as being cheesy. To each their own.

Scraper

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/s...k=max&hasPic=1

or putting a PS2 in the glove compartment and have it there in 2009, bad look bro. People will never tire of putting 1JZ/2JZ/turbo's/new leatherseats/suede headliners in their SCs, because it's not a novelty. Don't be mad that others dont' care about their SCs, just focus on yours and you'll be OK.

Maybe your car, not mine patna.
Dude. You cannot see a ps2 in the glove box haha. My ride is basically stock. the 18" bsa wheels are for dd. Decent wheels, had them since 2004 and still ride nice and look clean

I feel embarrased for some of you cats who put wheels on your SC that are worth more than the car. You guys who do that are as about as ignorant as the drug dealers you like to trash.
Old 04-09-09, 08:41 PM
flipboi
Lead Lap

IMO sc is one of the smartest and nicest design out there.. i mean come on what car can you keep in the market, except the corvette, that was made from 1992-2000 and still fits in the 2008 style... just keep your car clean and make smart modifications and ull keep getting questions like
"wow ur car is nice wat year did they come out wit that?"
-answer "1992"
"wow it thought that just now came out!"
Old 04-09-09, 09:52 PM
$loJam
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 21ce
The OP was just served!
A few people have said it time and time again... When a nice car becomes dirt cheap, it hits a certain crowd that can afford it... A Supra will not drop to the prices of the SC ANY time soon... by that time it will be a classic car which will only increase the price. don't think our cars will ever hit that vintage age...
I can see ignorance breeds ignorance in this forum. Please read the title of this thread. I merely put a question out there for everybody so we could have an inteligent discussion. I didn't say the SC is now cheesy b/c some people like to get crafty and turn a beautiful car into a turd, that was only one point.

Btw, the ONLY reason Supras went up in price and is cherished now is b/c of Fast & The Furious. Before that it was just a nice car that was depreciating like the SC. Honestly, I think the Supra is overated and very ricey looking in stock form. IMO, the SC looks 10 x better.

Thesis= Is the SC at the end of it's run?

Thanks for participating.
Old 04-09-09, 09:54 PM
Ryeno
Banned

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
head turning day?...those exist for our cars.

i never knew our cars can turn heads in stock form. i knew of an SC for a very long time since i worked at a toyota/lexus specialty shop but other then that i never cared about the car. i started noticing in on the street only because i had one.
The only cars that are head turning on the street are Bentleys, Ferraris, lambos and old school muscle cars. And even that's relative to where you live.( if i see a Ferrari its just a normal day for me)

With that being said i was at gelsons and some old guy got out of his bentley (ya i know no biggie) and then i drove by in my sc300 5spd. Now idk if he could hear the manual transmission or what but he turned around his had when i drove by. I know for a fact if i was in a Honda, BMW, Mercedes or any "common car" i prob would have got no looks. Not to mention everyone always gives me complements on my car.

Once any car gets "cheep" it gets riced out. Its sad but true. Good thing is riced out scs look nothing like clean scs. Just right now i was watching fast and the furious 1 and i could tell their was a red sc during race wars. It wasnt until i realized the lexus racing the honda had modified taillights that i could connect the dots and realize it was an sc. (btw it smoked the honda)
Old 04-10-09, 04:45 AM
21ce
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by $loJam
I can see ignorance breeds ignorance in this forum. Please read the title of this thread. I merely put a question out there for everybody so we could have an inteligent discussion. I didn't say the SC is now cheesy b/c some people like to get crafty and turn a beautiful car into a turd, that was only one point.

Btw, the ONLY reason Supras went up in price and is cherished now is b/c of Fast & The Furious. Before that it was just a nice car that was depreciating like the SC. Honestly, I think the Supra is overated and very ricey looking in stock form. IMO, the SC looks 10 x better.

Your rant is a little childish, but i'll continue to play along... Supras maybe overrated, but they are not popular ONLY because of a movie. (if you need proof of the car values before the release of that movie i would be more than happy to PM them to you.)

What is intelligent about this discussion/thread?
Is the SC becoming cheesy? No, but you feel that way because of certain transformations people have done to their SC. (Everyone has their own opinions so you would have been better off starting a yes/no poll)

Ryeno just said it again, once a car is cheap, it gets riced out. OUR cars didn't lose value because of all the ricers... don't mix it up. They simply took a heavy hit, as you said in a previous post, in depreciation value

You feel the look is outdated, but the 98+ skirts,lips seem far from outdated.

Why would you knock on people for putting expensive rims on their cars? You obviously don't have a love for cars. You may claim us to be idiotic to restore our cars to look new (the reason I accuse you of this is because restoring OEM parts can EASILY cost more than our original purchased price), but not all of us had clean cars from the previous owners, so we restore the car because of our love of the car.

Point is, a lot of us here love our cars, but aren't ignorant to the point where we don't realize our cars are becoming outdated. Is that going to stop us from making them look as clean as the day they were released from the factory? Not the passionate ones...

Also you claim you get better mpg from your v8 than the g35, but you obviously want one. So get a g35 and keep your lexus... problem sovled and no more ranting like you just discovered a new truth about our cars...

lastly, the SC did not DEPRECIATE to cheese status...
Old 04-10-09, 05:55 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Supra ricey in stock form? I'm not a fan of the stock wing but that's about it. Your SC is at the end of it's run because you're worried about image. Sell your SC and gtfo.......
Old 04-10-09, 06:52 AM
Enigma8246
Lead Lap

Btw, the ONLY reason Supras went up in price and is cherished now is b/c of Fast & The Furious. Before that it was just a nice car that was depreciating like the SC.
i wanted a supra b4 F&F. thats gone away since i got my SC
Old 04-10-09, 07:26 AM
Jeembo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ryeno
Just right now i was watching fast and the furious 1 and i could tell their was a red sc during race wars. It wasnt until i realized the lexus racing the honda had modified taillights that i could connect the dots and realize it was an sc. (btw it smoked the honda)
Haha I was hoping I wasn't the only one who noticed the SC(s) on FnF. I thought the one that was racing was black though with a huge vinyl down the side? With cleared 95-96 tails?

There's also a red one behind Brian's car (or Jesse's car.. I forget) when he's pulling up to the line though with either an AC kit or just 97+ bumpers... actually looks really clean from what you can see.

Originally Posted by slojam
No, that was exactly your point in the original post - your only point in your original post, in fact. You made no other points (except something about the LS that I didn't watch). Since our car gets riced out, it's now "cheese status" whatever that means. Which is false.. all your other points have been dumped on and now you're resorting to calling us ignorant.

Originally Posted by slo
Maybe I didn't get the memo. Is our car totally out of style now or what? As much as I love the SC I cannot sit back and act like nothing is happening when I see guys turning their SC into a dunebuggy, a space shuttle, a Trans Am, A Civic, a Bat Mobile, an airplane, drift cars, demolition derby cars or adding all kind of corny azz stuff to it. It's very saddening to see one of the best cars ever made converted into rolling junk. I know this must have an impact on the value of the SC. Really, is this the end? Maybe it's time to sell the SC while the getting is good and slip into a G35?

You never see timeless classics being treated this way, such as the Corvette, Porche or even the SC's sister, the Supra. Is it time to part ways? I sold my civic back in 2000 and bought my first SC when I started to see the civic delegated to "rice status" and that was a sound decision.
Seriously dude.. just sell your SC if you're that upset about its "status". Go buy the next flavor of the month.

Last edited by Jeembo; 04-10-09 at 07:30 AM.
Old 04-10-09, 08:05 AM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

Hey, no point in keeping your sc if you're not happy with it. Sell it and get what you want. Once the love is gone, move on to the next. The ones who are truly passionate about this car will remain owners no matter what other people do to their SC's. Yes, the car can be had for totally cheap nowadays but the cost of ownership is still expensive if you want it to perform and look good. Why does a tune and install for a civic si turbo kit only cost $800 while they charge $3k for an SC over at SRT? The car is cheap, people see an entry point to get in a Lexus. Once they buy it, they realize the parts aren't cheap like the rice rockets and realize the mess they're in. I don't know how far they will go to reach in their pockets just to keep it running. That right there explains why some have riced out SCs, they just can't afford the premium parts for it thus they end up with rice parts. In the long run, people who got in the game knowing what's in it for them are those that remain and love the car for what it is. Those that didn't buy the SC for its 'Lexus status' but for its beauty and elegance and a million other reasons why they love the SC are those that remain and become proud owners of a classic in the making. Ask yourself why you got into the car in the first place and make a decision.
Old 04-10-09, 09:03 AM
drifter x
Pole Position

who care what people do with there sc's if there modifing it, that means they like the car and thats what counts... you dont have to like it nor care just sell your someone will gladly take it
Old 04-10-09, 09:10 AM
RANDY P
Driver

ANY car will befall the fate of being played out if it becomes cheap enough, then the ricers and hood rats mess them up and that's what kills it.

I've only had mine for 2 weeks now and I bought one because it was cheap, and frankly one of the best built cars out there regardless of price, I also like the lines and even to this day it still looks fresh (IMHO). I've always liked the SC's and when I started seeing them dropped on 19"s thats what sold me.

Corvette has a history, it's been in production since 1953 so it had better have a history. Porsche 911 has probably the strongest winning history in almost any motorsport and their cars are amongst the best built out there (or at least they did till 1999) so that's not surprising it's mentioned as a timeless classic.

No one wants older vettes BTW they have it worse than SC and Supra owners by far.

Nevermind what others think, most people these days don't even understand quality or engineering - they like electronic gizmos or the "new" cars. Anyone can like a "NEW" car, but can you spot a "good" car? Most out there can't. I don't consider anyone who only knows new cars an enthusiast, those are posers, girly men / sissys and not car guys.

Real car guys get dirty and see the value of a car not based on it's newness but it's other traits. I've been up to my elbows in dirt and grease, and have owned a buttload of NEW expensive cars, as well as driven literally $50 cars to work and around while my $50K+ BMW sits in the garage next to my hot rod 911, I could care less what he average moron out there thinks of my car

Enjoy it for what it is, a quality good looking car that is affordable. We're treading where few are willing to go - we play with old cars and turn them into works of art. It's entirely up to you to turn it into a POS or something nice.

rjp

Last edited by RANDY P; 04-10-09 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-10-09, 10:02 AM
rpx13
Lead Lap

$loJam, I do value your opinion, but you're basing everything on cosmetic value. Don't forget our cars are built well and sturdy. As an example, how many "luxury" cars do you know that can get 150k miles as easily as ours cars do. I know you're just simply trying to get a rise out of people, and that's ur right, but the reason ur getting flamed on here is because ur doing jes that....solely trying to get a rise out of us without really having a valid well thought out point...

The base of your argument about our cars being "cheesed out" is purely directed to get a negative response. Your dispute that people "rice out" the SC is purely from your personal experiences. I'm not sure what kind of SC's u see in your vicinity but if you're basing ur dispute over things u see on the internet then your statement is biased. Google any other car and I guarantee you you'll get similiar results.

Again, I value your opinion, but anyone can start a controversial thread and get a controversial response if they wanted to. BTW, why do you care what other people think abut YOUR car???

Last edited by rpx13; 04-10-09 at 10:09 AM.
Old 04-10-09, 10:34 AM
kanderson
Driver

The run for is not over in my opinion. Accessories (floor mats) might be discontinued but all of the other parts are readily available. So no worries about restoring the vehicles. Ball joints are not sold apart from the control arms and never have been so that is not a valid basis. The long strory short is that this is a car that can be owned and driven because of it's unique style and engineering for a very long time. It is a breed of it's own.

Quick Reply: Is the SC delegated to Cheese Status Now?