SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Is the SC delegated to Cheese Status Now?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-09, 10:51 AM
csq860
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe a big part of the problem is that the OP and others are worried about what people are doing to "OUR" cars. They are not YOUR cars, they are their cars, and they can do any thing they want to them, just as you can do to yours. We're not living in a country wide Car Owners Association (any of you living with a Homeowners Association will get the point) where every car has to fall within certain guidelines to maintain their resale value, and nobody is going to fail to buy your SC someday because the guy around the corner turned his SC into a lawn mower.

I'd also suggest that anyone worried about what other people, especially girls, think of his car has bigger issues than turning Japacheesy. I don't even drive an SC, I have a GS4, but my son drives an SC4 and I think it's a great looking car and if anyone ever told him it was turning Velveeta he'd laugh the day away. Seriously guys, take a look around and you'll see there are some major problems out there these days, cheesy meltdowns not among them.
Old 04-10-09, 11:49 AM
One_jZ_SC3
Lexus Champion

Here is a funny video that relates to this topic: 350Z gone wrong lol!

I read all the posts in this thread and you sir made my day, thank you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaXZSExaZr8
Old 04-10-09, 12:01 PM
One_jZ_SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by $loJam
Btw, the ONLY reason Supras went up in price and is cherished now is b/c of Fast & The Furious. Before that it was just a nice car that was depreciating like the SC..
Anyone with car knowledge will disagree with that statement, my uncle has a 96 Supra and every year since production stopped he always gets comments and offers. The movie had nothing to do with the car holding value...so I guess Paul Walker is responsible for the Skyline and Supra holding their price value
Old 04-10-09, 01:54 PM
$loJam
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by One_jZ_SC3
Anyone with car knowledge will disagree with that statement, my uncle has a 96 Supra and every year since production stopped he always gets comments and offers. The movie had nothing to do with the car holding value...so I guess Paul Walker is responsible for the Skyline and Supra holding their price value
You must be kidding, right? The value went up exponentially on the supra after F&F. Google is your friend.

It's called Supply and Demand. Simple economics.

Also, GS's became cool after F&F . Before that movie GS's were considered homely.

Last edited by $loJam; 04-10-09 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-10-09, 02:09 PM
$loJam
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jeembo
Haha I was hoping I wasn't the only one who noticed the SC(s) on FnF. I thought the one that was racing was black though with a huge vinyl down the side? With cleared 95-96 tails?

There's also a red one behind Brian's car (or Jesse's car.. I forget) when he's pulling up to the line though with either an AC kit or just 97+ bumpers... actually looks really clean from what you can see.

No, that was exactly your point in the original post - your only point in your original post, in fact. You made no other points (except something about the LS that I didn't watch). Since our car gets riced out, it's now "cheese status" whatever that means. Which is false.. all your other points have been dumped on and now you're resorting to calling us ignorant.

Seriously dude.. just sell your SC if you're that upset about its "status". Go buy the next flavor of the month.
I've been an SC owner for 9 years thank you, and yoursef? You probaly didn't know what an SC was in 99, GTFO! Ive always admired the Z(g35 is basicaly a premo Z), WAY b4 Lexus was even thought of.
Old 04-10-09, 02:22 PM
$loJam
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cherplex
Supra ricey in stock form? I'm not a fan of the stock wing but that's about it. Your SC is at the end of it's run because you're worried about image. Sell your SC and gtfo.......
Image is only 1 factor. Discontinued parts, poor resale value, etc.

I would rather not have a junk yard on speed dial, do ya feel me? You can't even find a Lexus mechanic that has experience working on non vvt-i sc's in Ohio. This is the main reason I upgraded to a 98 sc 400 and sold my 92 sc 300. THe shizt just gets old dude. The SC will never be a true classic, step into reality man.
Old 04-10-09, 02:32 PM
$loJam
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rpx13
$loJam, I do value your opinion, but you're basing everything on cosmetic value. Don't forget our cars are built well and sturdy. As an example, how many "luxury" cars do you know that can get 150k miles as easily as ours cars do. I know you're just simply trying to get a rise out of people, and that's ur right, but the reason ur getting flamed on here is because ur doing jes that....solely trying to get a rise out of us without really having a valid well thought out point...

The base of your argument about our cars being "cheesed out" is purely directed to get a negative response. Your dispute that people "rice out" the SC is purely from your personal experiences. I'm not sure what kind of SC's u see in your vicinity but if you're basing ur dispute over things u see on the internet then your statement is biased. Google any other car and I guarantee you you'll get similiar results.

Again, I value your opinion, but anyone can start a controversial thread and get a controversial response if they wanted to. BTW, why do you care what other people think abut YOUR car???
Look at the title of the thread again, I just presented the question. Again, I didn't say the SC was cheesey. If I felt that way I would have sold the car already. The reason I created the thread was b/c I was hearing members disrespect the SC in various threads and then I started to see more degrading of the SC. In the early days on this forum I never heard any direspect of the SC and very little ricing going on. I think we have come to the concusion that when cars become cheap to buy people will rice them out. I think we all pretty much agree with that statement.
Old 04-10-09, 02:52 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

and on this note we lock this thread because im already getting a headache...
Old 04-10-09, 03:34 PM
Ryeno
Banned

Haha I was hoping I wasn't the only one who noticed the SC(s) on FnF. I thought the one that was racing was black though with a huge vinyl down the side? With cleared 95-96 tails?

There's also a red one behind Brian's car (or Jesse's car.. I forget) when he's pulling up to the line though with either an AC kit or just 97+ bumpers... actually looks really clean from what you can see.
Ya its a dark green or black with vinyls, 95-96 sc with cleared out bottom tails and a ricer spoiler. And then their is red sc infornt of a blue/white honda that has a 97+ kit. But i wouldnt say its "clean" its got some decals on the hood and the one on the front windshield saying somethingmotion. Also I never realized this but hes also right next to a "VIP" 2gs.
Since our car gets riced out, it's now "cheese status" whatever that means.
I was gonna say that as well. I guess cheese is some kind of weird regional slang.

$loJam your one to talk about cars being "cheese" look ar your own ride. Blue backlight with green needles. A ricer dash thats been chopped out to put a tv and ps2 into. I think your steering wheel doesnt even match the interior. It's like some pimp my rides creation. Honestly if you hate your sc so much take Jeembo advice and move onto the next flavor of the month. I personally actually realize what the sc is, not some regular lexus that you can disgard once the new edition comes out. But a powerful 2jz machine that can compete with the worlds best exotics. Isnt it funny how you list all these show mods, yet you have no go mods? Thats pretty ricer in my book.

Last edited by Ryeno; 04-10-09 at 03:38 PM.
Old 04-10-09, 03:38 PM
Enigma8246
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
and on this note we lock this thread because im already getting a headache...
agreed. some people just like arguing for the sake of arguing.
Old 04-10-09, 04:17 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by ill roller
Who cares what lexus had in mind, or what you think lexus had in mind... I don't think the automobile was invented with the purpose of modifying them, but does that make it wrong?

These cars stock are great... Luxurious, reliable, good looking, but boring. I don't think you're gonna be dropping jaws anytime soon.

The fact is that these cars are great and reliable platforms to build on, and since they're so reliable you know they can take a beating.

All I know is that there need to be less stock SC's, and more like this:

Cars are meant to be driven, that's it... People may rice out SC to your standard, but I bet they're out driving and not sitting around *****ing about the good old days like you.
I'd take a bone stock SC over that... To each their own though I always say
Old 04-10-09, 05:08 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My husband drifts the hell outa this car, and i love it and support it in every way... Its clean, well maintained... Why do you cry so much?

Oh and PS, saying you have Custom "Wheelz" already throws you in the cheese category

Last edited by JDMmuscle; 04-10-09 at 05:13 PM.
Old 04-10-09, 06:06 PM
markesc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by texan_176
The SC will become a "Cheese car" for a while but then it will see a resurgence as a modern classic. Right now prices are just very low on all cars. There are few stock SCs that are worth even more than 10 grand these days. That price puts it in the price range of high school kids who will trash it or wrap it around a telephone pole, made in china JDM car guys that will ruin it with stupid modifications, and people who just want transportation from A to B so it will sit out in the sun/rain/snow to die from rust/fade/trashed interior.

Once enough of these cars die off and the parts availability becomes very difficult most people will jump ship and pretty much all but a few cars will survive. Insurance companies will also total out many SCs for minor collisions and a majority of people do not want to mess with buying the car back, hunting parts, and rebuilding it; they just want a check to buy another car. If the airbags deploy in an SC for any reason I would say 9 out of 10 times it will be totalled out.

At some point in the future only die hard enthusiasts will own one and most will be well kept.

You need only look to cars like old (pre 1980s) Mustang and Camaro or the old VW bugs as this being the case. When new those cars were nothing special. In fact, they were affordable cars for the normal person. In the 80s there were seas of junkers everywhere. Now you hardly see them and the ones you do see are well cared for.

Regardless of the "I will always keep mine" thinking many people have on this board I doubt that a very few will keep them well into the future. Stuff like school, job loss, change in career, starting a business, business going broke, accidents, marriage, birth of a child, death in the family, buying a house, etc....just life.....changes ones' priorities and in the end it is just a car. I know...I know...that's bait for flaming but it's true.
All great points.... but they're going to have to bury me in mine!! I have a WRX for my DD duties, the Lex will be kept for the long run... I'm not trying to quickly modify the car because I'm not rich, however I've put $14k into the car over the past five years, so why look back now.... I've also kept it simple/classy in hopes that it will continue to turn heads now and in the future
Old 04-10-09, 06:07 PM
RANDY P
Driver

Originally Posted by $loJam
Image is only 1 factor. Discontinued parts, poor resale value, etc.

I would rather not have a junk yard on speed dial, do ya feel me? You can't even find a Lexus mechanic that has experience working on non vvt-i sc's in Ohio. This is the main reason I upgraded to a 98 sc 400 and sold my 92 sc 300. THe shizt just gets old dude. The SC will never be a true classic, step into reality man.
Used parts are OK if you buy them from a reliable seller and know how to mess with 'em, otherwise it's a crapshoot.

What do you mean you can't find someone to work on an early lexus? Did they forget how to?

All the best wrenches never forget since they've been doing it forever, even when our cars were new. Rookie techs at the cheap Goodyear shops / Grease Monkey are the ones who don't know, because they were never there.

I'd find a better wrench if I were you.

rjp
Old 04-10-09, 06:10 PM
RANDY P
Driver

I like the fact the cars are depreciated. I found mine which is in better shape than most 2005 cars and less mileage and I've got a long way to go before it becomes an issue to maintain, if ever.

It's a Toyota remember? IT'S ALSO PAID IN FULL.

rjp

Quick Reply: Is the SC delegated to Cheese Status Now?