SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Is the SC delegated to Cheese Status Now?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-09, 08:07 PM
$loJam
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is the SC delegated to Cheese Status Now?

Maybe I didn't get the memo. Is our car totally out of style now or what? As much as I love the SC I cannot sit back and act like nothing is happening when I see guys turning their SC into a dunebuggy, a space shuttle, a Trans Am, A Civic, a Bat Mobile, an airplane, drift cars, demolition derby cars or adding all kind of corny azz stuff to it. It's very saddening to see one of the best cars ever made converted into rolling junk. I know this must have an impact on the value of the SC. Really, is this the end? Maybe it's time to sell the SC while the getting is good and slip into a G35?

You never see timeless classics being treated this way, such as the Corvette, Porche or even the SC's sister, the Supra. Is it time to part ways? I sold my civic back in 2000 and bought my first SC when I started to see the civic delegated to "rice status" and that was a sound decision.

Here is a satire and review of the new LS460 vs the old LS 400. I think this video conveys what I'm trying to express to you guys. The satire begins at 3:01.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZQ4zsWw72U

Last edited by $loJam; 04-08-09 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-08-09, 08:13 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Here we go again... Be right back with popcorn.
Old 04-08-09, 08:16 PM
ecstaticSC
Racer

As much as I love the SC I cannot sit back and act like nothing is happening when I see guys turning their SC into a dunebuggy, a space shuttle, a Trans Am, A Civic, a Bat Mobile, an airplane, drift cars, demolition derby cars or adding all kind of corny azz stuff to it.
Why do you care what people do with their cars? If you don't like it then move along.

Last edited by ecstaticSC; 04-08-09 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-08-09, 08:19 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 381 Likes on 224 Posts

I can tell your smoking something by your avatar. Who cares what 5th gear thinks. They suck anyway. The SC is a cool car.
Old 04-08-09, 08:19 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Oh god.....................I can see where this going yet again
Old 04-08-09, 08:29 PM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

Some people have bad taste. That's life. Deal with it.

If you don't like what others do with their cars, then tell them about it. Don't complain to strangers though, doesn't make much impact on anything.

Also, if you're buying an SC for resale value, then you have the car for the wrong reason. Some Hondas keep their value better.
Old 04-08-09, 08:34 PM
$loJam
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sc300STED
Why do you care what people do with their cars? If you don't like it then move along.

When people start ricing their SC's out people take notice and eventually it will have a residual effect on all of us. Take the Civic for instance. This lil car used to be a cool little hip economical ride back in the day. It had a fair amount of respect. After the first Fast & the Furious movie everybody started ricing their civics out with neon colors, stickers, big azz wings, and next thing you know the civic lost respect. Now, if you tell someone you are rolling in a civic, old or new, they will look at you like have a POS like a Ford taurus or something.

I'm not personally making fun of anybody's ride. I just want to see how everybody else feels on this forum. I've just started posting again on this forum and I'm seeing some members on here disrespect the SC a little in some threads on here that I never witnessed before, even OG members.
Also, it's disheartening to see that we can no longer get oem mats anymore and a few other oem parts. I hate to see the Titanic sink.
Old 04-08-09, 08:42 PM
$loJam
Pole Position

This thread was not intended to ignite some more hate or disrespect. I didn't drop any names on here. I'm just expressing how I feel from what I read and saw on this forum.

Really, think about it. Do you see people doing crazy stuff to the dated but classics such as the 300z, Vette or Porche? I truly thought the SC would be a classic one day. I'm not so sure now.
Old 04-08-09, 08:51 PM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

I think you're making the SC a better car than it is. Sure, there are some very nice examples on this forum, but most aren't, and most likely owned by old ladies/small time drug dealers (off the forums). The car has its faults, and if someone thinks the car is a POS, then they should get better info.

By the way, people do rice out Porsches, Corvettes, Merc, an any other high priced car. It's not as frequent because those cars are more expensive. You can buy a mint SC for around 4k. For that price, obviously it's more affordable to everyone, even those who have access to ebay, autozone, a F&F DVD, and their local Home Depot.
Old 04-08-09, 08:58 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

SC is a car. plain and simple. it does not have history like the corvette, 300zx, or porsche. all those cars have respect and an insane idealism and following due to the lifestyle, way of thinking, and racing heritage that they convey to the public.

the SC has none of those caharacteristics. it was built as an expensive luxury car for a doctor or a lawyer to put around town in. in that respect you are right. the car's intended purpose is no longer it. i havent seen many 50-60 year old lawyers and doctors on this forum asking about advice on the 2jz swap or wheel fitment.

the civic still has a good reputation as an economic daily driver. i dont know where you live, possible Fast Ln in Furious country of some Tokyo drift area, lol, but i cant think of a single person that will make fun of anyone for driving a civic no matter whether its stock or modded.

you sound like you are 5 years old and didnt get your favorite Lego set for christmas.

simce youre that sensitive to modding heres a primer for you:

oh yeah and this is a drift car....

Old 04-08-09, 09:06 PM
$loJam
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tavarish
I think you're making the SC a better car than it is. Sure, there are some very nice examples on this forum, but most aren't, and most likely owned by old ladies/small time drug dealers (off the forums). The car has its faults, and if someone thinks the car is a POS, then they should get better info.

By the way, people do rice out Porsches, Corvettes, Merc, an any other high priced car. It's not as frequent because those cars are more expensive. You can buy a mint SC for around 4k. For that price, obviously it's more affordable to everyone, even those who have access to ebay, autozone, a F&F DVD, and their local Home Depot.

Actually, on the very rare occasion that I spot an SC they usually look pretty clean and respectable. I don't even see them in the hood anymore.

Our cars just recently took a hit in price. Just a couple years ago a 2000 Sc 400 was selling for $20,000 + . I even saw a mint 92 Sc 400 at Metro lexus selling for $10k a couple years ago. You will be lucky to get 12k for a low mileage 2000 Sc 400 now. I think 1St gen Sc's are finally losing appeal. I hate to say it but my intuition is kicking in now. I think the Sc430 will get the "classic" status over the 1st gen SC. The resale value seems to be doing much better than our cars.

Last edited by $loJam; 04-08-09 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04-08-09, 09:10 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

People trash nice cars no matter what... There are A LOT of nice SC's out there and a few I don't personally care for, but if the owner is happy then that's all that matters. If you want to talk about nice cars with horrible mods, work for a Bentley/Lambo dealership like I did... Everything from red Continental GT's with wood wheels and straight pipes to gold Diablo's with 3-spoke wheels and rainbow LV interior... Doesn't matter what kinda car it is, there will always be some out there you don't personally care for.
Old 04-08-09, 09:14 PM
$loJam
Pole Position

[QUOTE=5sp_jzz30;4418191]SC is a car. plain and simple. it does not have history like the corvette, 300zx, or porsche. all those cars have respect and an insane idealism and following due to the lifestyle, way of thinking, and racing heritage that they convey to the public.

the SC has none of those caharacteristics. it was built as an expensive luxury car for a doctor or a lawyer to put around town in. in that respect you are right. the car's intended purpose is no longer it. i havent seen many 50-60 year old lawyers and doctors on this forum asking about advice on the 2jz swap or wheel fitment.

the civic still has a good reputation as an economic daily driver. i dont know where you live, possible Fast Ln in Furious country of some Tokyo drift area, lol, but i cant think of a single person that will make fun of anyone for driving a civic no matter whether its stock or modded.

you sound like you are 5 years old and didnt get your favorite Lego set for christmas.

simce youre that sensitive to modding heres a primer for you:

I figured the disrespect would come eventually. I wasn't talking about your ride so chill kid.

I was just talking to a female friend of mine and I asked her what her new boyfriend drives, she laughed and said a Civic. Chicks no longer dig civics. I think most non-gay guys want to impress a woman and a civic no longer cuts it if you know what I mean.

Btw, if you were as intelligent as you think you are you would have noticed in my avatar that I live in Ohio. You should know there is no fast and furious lane this way like California or Tokyo lol.
Old 04-08-09, 09:17 PM
BLovesc
Pole Position

Get real dude you drive a 90 something Lexus. And Thats All
Old 04-08-09, 09:21 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

sc430 will never be a "classic"

it was a fail boat since the day the designed set foot in the office.

a "few" years ago the 2000 sc400 was never worth 20k. i dont know where you have been looking.

in 2008 my boss bought a 98 sc400 with 72,000 miles for 8k. i know it was a bit cheap but a realistic price is around 10k.

i rarely see our cars on the road and when i do they are stock unless its one of my buddies cars.

Quick Reply: Is the SC delegated to Cheese Status Now?