SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What tire brand should i get??

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-09, 12:15 PM
Sciethen
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryeno
You say you got non-performance and no suspension mods. Then go you on to say you drive "Semi" aggressive and you say you dont do any racing driving. No offense dude but i think you think you drive more aggressive then you actually do.
Riiiiight.

[/quote]I have those exact same tires and they are POS. In the rain if i try to make a u-turn my wheels start spinning or i start drifting. And trying to make a turn at 90 with those tires[/QUOTE]

In the rain, any tires will lose traction given too much power... But hey, since apparently you've done more extensive testing then consumer reports has, I'll just have to agree

Back to what tires is best, here are a few things to consider, and what Consumer Reports has to say about them. These are the top picks, and I'm only listing the BADs about them. Otherwise, they are rated very good or excellent. (Vice versa for the "GOODS" about them.)

All-Season

BADS (avoid):
Dry AND Wet Braking: Michelin Harmony, Goodyear Assurance ComforTred, Kelly Navigator Platinum TE, Sumitomo HTR T4
Handling:
Dayton Grenadier PLE, Pirelli P3000, Goodyear Assurance ComforTred, Sumitomo HTR T4
Rolling Resistance:
Pirelli P3000

GOODS (get 'em if this is what brings you happiness):
Snow Traction/Ice Breaking:
Michelin HydroEdge, Kelly Navigator Platinum TE, Goodyear Assurance ComforTred
Tread Life:
Yokohama Avid TRZ, Michelin HydroEdge, Dayton Grenadier PLE

Best bets for H-Rated, I'll only list the BADs along with the tires. The following categories are: Dry/Wet Braking (D/W B), Handling (Hand), Hydroplaning (Hydro), Rolling Resistance (RR), Snow Traction (ST), Ice Breaking (IB), Ride Quality (Ride), Noise, and Tread Life (TL).

Dunlop SP Sport 5000: No bads, but average ST and Ride.
Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S: No bads, average RR, ST, and Ride.
Falken Ziex ZE 512: Bad TL, average RR, ST, IB, Ride, and Noise.
Continental ContiPro Contact: Bad IB, TL. Average ST.
Michelin Pilot XGT H4: Very Bad RR, Bad IB and TL. Average ST and Ride.

Here are the best bets for V-Rated tires:

Michelin Pilot HX MXM4: Average ST, IB, Ride, Noise.
Yokohama Avid V4s: Bad RR, Very Bad ST, Average IB, Noise, and TL. (Note, these are not the same tires I recommended.)
Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S: Bad RR, Ride, Noise. Average ST and IB.
Continental ContiPro Contact: Bad Ride and Noise. Average ST and TL.

Several others listed, dunno if I'm supposed to share these results though, as they are from a subscribed site. Anyhow, ConsumerReports.org goes through extensive testing with the various products. Some basic information here:

Overall score emphasizes safety-related tests, including braking, handling, and resistance to hydroplaning. Scores and ratings are held to a comparative standard within a tire category. Dry braking was from 60 mph and wet braking was from 40 mph with the antilock brake system engaged. Handling includes how well the tires gripped in an avoidance maneuver involving a swerve into the left lane and back into the right lane; dry and wet cornering grip; and subjective steering feel. Hydroplaning reflects how quickly we could drive through standing water before the tires begin to lose contact with the pavement. Rolling resistance, measured on a dynamometer, is a factor in fuel economy. Snow traction reflects the distance our test car needed to accelerate from 5 to 20 mph on moderately packed snow. We tested ice braking on a skating rink from 10 mph with the ABS disengaged. Ride and noise reflect our on-road judgments. Performance all-season tires either don't have a tread-wear warranty or it ranges between 30,000 to 80,000 miles. Tread life is the indicator of wear potential from CR's 16,000-mile mixed-driving test and is not part of the overall score. Size tested for H-speed P195/65R15. Size tested for V-speed is P205/55R16.
Old 04-11-09, 01:45 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

FALKEN
Old 04-11-09, 04:49 PM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

You also may want to have a look at this article. Car and Driver compares 11 popular performance tires.

Quick results:

* Eleventh: Kumho Ecsta MX
* Tenth: BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KD
* Ninth: Bridgestone Potenza RE050A
* Eighth: Toyo Proxes T1R
* Seventh: Pirelli P Zero Rosso Asimmetrico
* Sixth: Dunlop SP Sport Maxx
* Fifth: Hankook Ventus R-S2 Z212
* Fourth: Michelin Pilot Sport PS2
* Third: Yokohama Advan Neova AD07
* Second: Continental ContiSportContact 2
* First: Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/..._test/(page)/1
Old 04-11-09, 05:37 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SC_coupe
You also may want to have a look at this article. Car and Driver compares 11 popular performance tires.

Quick results:

* Eleventh: Kumho Ecsta MX
* Tenth: BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KD
* Ninth: Bridgestone Potenza RE050A
* Eighth: Toyo Proxes T1R
* Seventh: Pirelli P Zero Rosso Asimmetrico
* Sixth: Dunlop SP Sport Maxx
* Fifth: Hankook Ventus R-S2 Z212
* Fourth: Michelin Pilot Sport PS2
* Third: Yokohama Advan Neova AD07
* Second: Continental ContiSportContact 2
* First: Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/..._test/(page)/1
Wow the Ecsta MX placed higher than the Pilot Sport PS2? Thats pretty impressive. Anyway, to the original poster, there are many many manyyyyy different brands/models/types of tires you can go with. I believe that no 2 people have the same driving style. That is why there is so much out there to choose from.

The first step in helping you make a decision should be to ask your self "What kind of driving do I do?" Are you using this vehicle for daily driving/Commuting? If so you might want to look for something that is quiet and comfortable but you also want something that comes with a high mileage warranty or tread wear rating.

If you're looking for something that gives you better handling without sacrificing longevity you will want to pay attention to the speed rating such as 92S for example. Having a Z rated tire doesnt necessarily mean you can take it up to 300mph without having any issues. When I see a Z or a W rated tire I automatically know that its going to give me excellent cornering and handling but will wear very fast. The closer the rating is to the letter Z, the stiffer the tire is going to be but you also sacrifice longevity.

Mileage warranties. Things always happen. You get a nail in the should but you cant repair it. You get and impact break on the sidewall and a bubble forms. The tire wears prematurely. These are just some of the things that can happen to a tire. Most manufactures on todays market offer mileage warranties for most of their line of tires depending on the speed rating, model, or size. The most common tire with a mileage warranty would be an All Season tire. Tires are just too expensive these days so take advantage of these warranties.

I dont know what else to add that hasnt been covered. I hope you take what I said into consideration before purchasing your next set. If you need additional help or have any other questions feel free to post in The Tire Rack's Tire, Wheel, & Brakes Forum. Good luck.
Old 04-11-09, 06:00 PM
Asha'man
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JspecSC3
Wow the Ecsta MX placed higher than the Pilot Sport PS2? Thats pretty impressive. [/U][/B] Good luck.
Might wanna look at that list again. The Kumho finished last.

And I was just going to post up about how I've had good luck with the Kumho Ecsta ASX's on both my Mustangs. Daily driver use, rain, drag racing, the occasional burnout or donut, even a tiny bit of shallow snow once or twice. I liked them and would buy them again.
Old 04-11-09, 06:14 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Asha'man
Might wanna look at that list again. The Kumho finished last.

And I was just going to post up about how I've had good luck with the Kumho Ecsta ASX's on both my Mustangs. Daily driver use, rain, drag racing, the occasional burnout or donut, even a tiny bit of shallow snow once or twice. I liked them and would buy them again.
Whoops. I knew something didnt seem right. I just had a long day at work.

The reason Kumho is still making those ASX are because they perform really well for an all season tire. Im not exactly sure but I think they will be phazing them out pretty soon. But dont worry, they'll come out with something better.
Old 04-11-09, 07:59 PM
Ryeno
Banned

Originally Posted by Sciethen
In the rain, any tires will lose traction given too much power... But hey, since apparently you've done more extensive testing then consumer reports has, I'll just have to agree

Several others listed, dunno if I'm supposed to share these results though, as they are from a subscribed site. Anyhow, ConsumerReports.org goes through extensive testing with the various products. Some basic information here:
Yes thank you for agreeing with me them. Incase you didnt realize this consumerreports is just a business. They are getting paid money to review things. And at the end of day they will never give something an "awful" score because their sponsors would get upset.

Go read that tire rack link you gave me. The first guy says he is gonna return the tires because they are awful. I completely agree with him, going 40+ they are soo bumpy its crazy. Not to mention the rain effect. I've been on those tires for like 9 months now and as soon as i get new rims, i am ditching them.

Last edited by Ryeno; 04-11-09 at 08:04 PM.
Old 04-11-09, 08:18 PM
Enigma8246
Lead Lap

i had toyo proxes 4 on my 19's and i loved them. had 19X8.5 on front and 19X9.5 on the rear and i did 90+ in the rain w/o any problems. (i do NOT recommend this. i was trying to get to my g/f at the hospital after a car accident.) i went through those in about a year due to camber issues but i loved those tires.

i have Falken ZE 512's on my 18X8's and they are pretty sticky. the side wall is a little thin for my driving style but the price was right and they're decent tires.
Old 04-11-09, 08:20 PM
yong32986
Rookie

thanks all for helping, the car is my daily drive car, city only, i tends to drive aggressively, i want quiet, good price, last longer.
Old 04-11-09, 08:31 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryeno
Yes thank you for agreeing with me them. Incase you didnt realize this consumerreports is just a business. They are getting paid money to review things. And at the end of day they will never give something an "awful" score because their sponsors would get upset.
AMEN!

Lets just use this review posted here as an example...

They are rating all the tires on a 1-12 across the board score... They rate the Bridgestone bad because it has a low treadwear rating, but if they had a clue, they'd know that you can't compare treadwear ratings between manufacturers, as all manufacturers rate it differently... Then, they say some tires do great in the wet, and some do great in the dry... The BFG KD gets some of the best handling numbers, as does the Bridgestone RE050, but they both score towards the bottom... According to them, driving in the rain is as important as driving on dry, but they are testing max performance tires... Where would they rate a tire that is geared directly towards wet grip, but was horrible at dry, cause on that notion, you could outscore the Michelin PS2 with the Sport A/S possibly, as it also lasts longer...

Also, one big factor amongst tires is how they wear, and, more importantly, how the handling holds up as they wear... Certain tires actually handle better once they have broken in a little, some handle the best with minimal tread depths... I liken these types of tire tests to driving a car around the block for a test drive. Sure, you get a feel for it, but if you really wanna know how it works, you need to drive it for a couple hours and really put it through its paces (and then, you never know whats gonna happen 30k miles down the road)...

One other quick note - mileage warranties do not cover nails in the shoulder and such - that is reserved for a road hazard warranty... mileage warranties cover an evenly worn tire that has worn prematurely...
Old 04-11-09, 09:44 PM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been running Nitto 555's for years now. I had a set of Potenza's once and I proptly went back to the 555's as they made me feel more confident in the corners. They're not the cheapest or the best, but I think they're a good middle ground performance tire and they grip like a muv. Plus they look great on the SC. They do suck on wet roads though.
Old 04-11-09, 09:58 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

I currently have the Yokohama S. drives on my stock 16" rims and I love them. Great dry grip and decent in wet. They were the best tires I could buy at the time on my budget, and so far I have had no regrets with buying them.