SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Please HELP!! Frustrating HIDs driving me nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-09, 10:56 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My retrofit did the same thing. The E46 ballasts require a nice high voltage... damn near had to have the car started and slightly revved to keep them from flickering on start up.

I am going to make a harness to pull current from my battery and not the OEM headlight plugs.
Old 04-11-09, 02:24 PM
defrag
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Xentec is located about 10 minutes from my house. We ended up having to reverse the polarity in order to get my HIDs to work. I use their SLIM ballasts though, rather than the cheaper, fatter ones. They are great about customer service. Send them an e-mail and I am sure they would be glad to help you out with your problem.
Old 04-11-09, 07:17 PM
SH_JZZ30
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know alot of ebay kits says to change the head light fuses to 20amp instead of the 15amp for start up.
Old 04-11-09, 07:46 PM
Ryeno
Banned

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
My retrofit did the same thing. The E46 ballasts require a nice high voltage... damn near had to have the car started and slightly revved to keep them from flickering on start up.

I am going to make a harness to pull current from my battery and not the OEM headlight plugs.
a harness is easyyyy to make. Get some female spade adapters, wire, a relay and some plastic tubing to protect from heat. Use a vise-grip to crimp the stuff together and the female spade adapters to connect into the relay and into the hid ballests/oem 900x sockets.
Old 04-11-09, 11:26 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by iwa100
Xentec is located about 10 minutes from my house. We ended up having to reverse the polarity in order to get my HIDs to work. I use their SLIM ballasts though, rather than the cheaper, fatter ones. They are great about customer service. Send them an e-mail and I am sure they would be glad to help you out with your problem.
Originally Posted by klepto2
plugged it in the right way. it snapped in as usual.
This is what I was getting at. Alot of aftermarkets require the polarity to be switched, hence why I asked you if you plugged it in the right way or reversed. Don't hold me accountable, but there have been plenty of folks, myself included, who have plugged it in reverse, and it worked just fine.
Old 04-13-09, 11:33 AM
klepto2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jewcano
This is what I was getting at. Alot of aftermarkets require the polarity to be switched, hence why I asked you if you plugged it in the right way or reversed. Don't hold me accountable, but there have been plenty of folks, myself included, who have plugged it in reverse, and it worked just fine.
Willing to try it. I did some research and some1 says not to reverse the polarity going to the ballast but the one going to the bulb. Is that correct?
Old 04-13-09, 12:16 PM
sir2
Driver School Candidate

i had the same problem. check the relay. I opend up my relay, it got contaminated with water and debris. I swapped out for a new relay then later on happened again. so this time i sealed it up with silicone and covered the relay with a plastic wrap. all is good now. is the relay wet or anything.
Old 04-13-09, 12:50 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by klepto2
Willing to try it. I did some research and some1 says not to reverse the polarity going to the ballast but the one going to the bulb. Is that correct?
Pretty sure I used the cable connecting to the stock car harness, I switched that one around. As did others, we can attest to it working for our cars. However I am not sure if that's the same issue you have, but you can always give it a shot.

***I am not responsible for any mishaps here, just throwing that out***
Old 04-13-09, 02:23 PM
SC300_704
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mines did that to and it turns out to be the ballast. now i'm just running on one ballast, i just tapped the other bulb to the other ballast.
Old 04-13-09, 03:02 PM
thegr8one
Driver School Candidate

i have the same prob... when i 1st installed the HID it worked just fine for about 4 hr now only one side will turn on or both side will flicker
Old 04-13-09, 07:17 PM
Anthony85
Lead Lap

I tried to install hids last week and only one side came on. I got pissed and took everything back out. I dont know If I should order another kit or what? This Is the first time I have ever seen anything like this. On My jetta I have had HIDS on it for 2 years now and no problem til this day (knocks on wood) LOL....
Old 04-14-09, 11:45 PM
horent135
Lexus Champion

I know your kit is plug and play, but by no means, ur harness should connect to the battery. Your original headlight harness should have enough power to power up the ballast and the bulbs. That is why i never seen a HID harness connected to the battery, so try to not connect the HID harness to the battery and see wat happens.
Old 04-14-09, 11:51 PM
Ryeno
Banned

Originally Posted by horent135
I know your kit is plug and play, but by no means, ur harness should connect to the battery. Your original headlight harness should have enough power to power up the ballast and the bulbs. That is why i never seen a HID harness connected to the battery, so try to not connect the HID harness to the battery and see wat happens.
Should being the key word. The thing is either way your getting 12vs of power since the power is coming from the battery anyways. Plus your OEM wire guage was never designed to run the high amount of watts it takes to spark the hids. Essentially a harness saves you from accidentally melting your oem wiring.
Originally Posted by Anthony85
I tried to install hids last week and only one side came on. I got pissed and took everything back out. I dont know If I should order another kit or what? This Is the first time I have ever seen anything like this. On My jetta I have had HIDS on it for 2 years now and no problem til this day (knocks on wood) LOL....
Odds are your ballest is one-way on voltage.(mine are) Try reinstalling it and if it doesnt work, just flipping the wire going into the ballest.
Old 04-15-09, 12:04 AM
Peter_95
Lexus Champion

interesting.... i never heard of this problem before... i thought plug and play was plug and play.... are only certain cars like this>???
Old 04-15-09, 03:57 AM
Ryeno
Banned

Originally Posted by Peter_95
interesting.... i never heard of this problem before... i thought plug and play was plug and play.... are only certain cars like this>???
Which problem?

For the HIDs not working, Its the same concept as the figure 8 ac socket v the figure 8 where one of the loops is a D not an 0. Some ballests only work if the voltage is going the right way in, like leds.

As for not using a relay harness, Basically u got 2 problems. Like i said odds are your oem wire was never thick enough to carry that power needed to light the hids. Plus if your wires are old then they will deteriorate faster. But thats the smaller problem. Your oem system was never meant to carry the power draw the ballests need to light. What this means is the power will be stolen from the rest of the car. Kinda like a sound system that dims your lights. Its just not good for the car and can damage something. A relay harness is just a cheep insurance option.

Last edited by Ryeno; 04-15-09 at 04:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Please HELP!! Frustrating HIDs driving me nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!