SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

(DIY) Centre Console Removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-09, 08:56 AM
JZCHAOS
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default (DIY) Centre Console Removal

The Search Engine is not user friendly at all when you looking to get it down NOW!! Insted of spending hours searching. Asking a question sometimes gets you a smart A$$ Remark!! I had to Google the Info.

Centre Console Removal

Firstly, put the gear selector into 'N'. This will require you to press the small red button next to the gear selector so that you can move the gear out of park with the ignition off. Now you know what the red button's for! Don't forget to make sure the handbrake's on. Then slide down the plastic sleeve at the bottom of the gear stick, and undo the two screws, it should then pull straight off.

Then you need to remove the black plastic gear selector panel, to do this you need to unclip 4 clips, in each corner of this panel. This can be fiddly first time round, but once you've done it you'll be popping it in and out no worries. Retain the felt pads around the clips and be sure to replace them properly afterwards for a rattle-free future.
Then unclip the block connectors for the lights and switches. You might find a Japanese coin down inside somewhere, both myself and Iain did!!
Open the fliptop cupholder at the rear of the assembly and pull the whole thing upwards. It should come out with a bit of persuasion. You will now see six screws on the lower section which hold the entire surround in place. Undo these and you should now be able to lift the surround up and towards the front. There are more connectors to watch out for at top of the surround, next to the aircon/stereo unit. These will also have to be disconnected if you want to remove the surround entirely.

The aircon headunit/stereo all comes out in one cage by undoing 4 screws. If you are going to atttempt to drive the car with the centre console out, leave the centre block of the aircon connected, otherwise this affects the ECU. Also, if you leave the hazard warning light switch disconnected, the indicators will not operate.

Needless to say, putting it all back together is the reversal of removal. Care should be taken to ensure that you don't drop any of the screws down inside the gearbox housing, or behind the air conditioning unit.
The following users liked this post:
CaliMike (02-16-21)
Old 04-13-09, 09:25 AM
durtysc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is your car RHD? i wonder if that little red button is a JDM thing because mine doesn't have one but thanks for the diy! it took me forever to figure out how to do it my first time..and i also found a japanse coin haha
Old 04-13-09, 09:31 AM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Yes.. searching is a b*tch. But we all go through it. I myself have searched for a good chunk of time myself and I just subscribe to any and all helpful threads I find. That's a good tip, subscribe so ya don't have to kill yourself searching for something later.

Nice work though!
Old 04-13-09, 03:54 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Might want to add a search tag for "Center" as some people spell it this way. Also, I had no trouble finding previous threads for removing the center console with a quick search. Are you guys searching under 'titles only'? Often times searching 'entire posts' will give you too much results.

Good job on the pics though since the other threads do not have pics.
Old 04-13-09, 04:12 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

The Search Engine is not user friendly at all when you looking to get it down NOW!! Insted of spending hours searching. Asking a question sometimes gets you a smart A$$ Remark!! I had to Google the Info.
Could just be you, doc. Every single thread that came up searching those three words had pics and instructions. ALL of them.

Old 04-13-09, 04:24 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Just for the sake of future searches, we may want to change the name of this thread from "Centre" to "Center".

Despite the illiteracy of most of the SC forum members, this may help a tad ;-)
Old 04-13-09, 06:14 PM
SClean4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i will need to do this if i ever get a black center console. ty
Old 04-13-09, 08:32 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice write anyway.. Another good DIY! Thanks
Old 04-14-09, 12:43 PM
ShiftyD2k
Lead Lap

nice job..
Old 04-14-09, 02:18 PM
2.5tsoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JZCHAOS
Asking a question sometimes gets you a smart A$$ Remark!! I had to Google the Info.
So true my friend...
Old 04-14-09, 11:26 PM
horent135
Lexus Champion

The red button is on JDM, our is black button on top left below the heated seats switches
Old 04-15-09, 02:26 PM
carbophat
Rookie

Originally Posted by 2.5tsoarer
So true my friend...

I have found this true on every auto forum I am on...
Old 04-15-09, 02:46 PM
Teal Sc400
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default DIY Link of Dreams

JZCHAOS, Nice DIY...should have asked another native MD, here are some other DIY links that might be of help in your future.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ollection.html
The following users liked this post:
CaliMike (02-16-21)
Old 04-15-09, 06:20 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

It took me a long time to figure out how to get at those 2 screws in the very first step! But I eventually figured it out.

What I need now is to figure out how to get the ENTIRE console between the two seats out. I cant figure out how to get at the 2 screws holding it down at the front, and there seems to be a few invisible screws holding it down from the back somewhere. I've searched, and found a few threads here and there that outline it, but I still cant seem to translate it into any success in my car ..or maybe I'm just a dumba$$ lol
Old 04-16-09, 06:41 AM
blacice83
Rookie

Dude i've been searching for this for so long now and you have been my savior,lol. This was the entire reason i joined this forum but it came to be more helpful then i orginally intened.Thanks alot.

Quick Reply: (DIY) Centre Console Removal