SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

my attemped to deline my headlight FAILED!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-09, 09:33 PM
logicalman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my attemped to deline my headlight FAILED!

My driverside headlight was condensating so I thought it was time to take them apart and once they were apart I said "hey since they're apart I mite as well deline them" bad idea. Once I got most of the lines out and went thru all the sanding steps I did the last step "polishing" after I was done with one area it still look "blurry" I went thru all the sanding steps again still the same.

So now im stuck with a "blurry" driverside headlight unless somebody knows if I can fix it. I know about the supermade and brightx lenses but im not up to dropping $250 just on lenses I had an idea to buy a pair of ebay headlights and use the lense off those?

Well here is a pic of the condensation
Attached Thumbnails my attemped to deline my headlight FAILED!-condensation.jpg  
Old 04-16-09, 09:37 PM
logicalman
Driver

Here is the fail
Attached Thumbnails my attemped to deline my headlight FAILED!-failed1.jpg  
Old 04-16-09, 09:38 PM
Enigma8246
Lead Lap

what grits and polishing regimen did you use? if it really hits the fan you can always sand w/ 800 grit and hit it with a thin coat of clear
Old 04-16-09, 09:38 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think you might have put too much pressure on that area and burnt it...where is the area exactly? near the corner lights?
Old 04-16-09, 09:41 PM
logicalman
Driver

Here is a pic of it on the car. I know you really cant tell but they are "blurry"
Attached Thumbnails my attemped to deline my headlight FAILED!-failed2.jpg  
Old 04-16-09, 09:47 PM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

best way to make sure you get to come out as clear as possible is to wet sand with a higher grit. and just keep wet sanding it with a higher and higher grit until your at like 2000.

When I wet sanded the outside I discovered that it would still looked "blurry" too. Wait a day or two and try to repolish it. Make sure its 100% dry.

If all else fails, spray a couple coats of high temp clear.
Old 04-16-09, 09:52 PM
logicalman
Driver

Originally Posted by Enigma8246
what grits and polishing regimen did you use? if it really hits the fan you can always sand w/ 800 grit and hit it with a thin coat of clear
I first starter off with 220 wet and finally when it was leveled I went to 500, 1000, 1200, then I use "heavy cut cleaner" and in the end "plastiX" both used with a high speed polisher.

Originally Posted by Kaydee
I think you might have put too much pressure on that area and burnt it...where is the area exactly? near the corner lights?
The area is infront of the projector.
Old 04-16-09, 10:03 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

if you buy ebay ones, they will yellow out in a year
Old 04-16-09, 10:05 PM
logicalman
Driver

Originally Posted by sc-driver
best way to make sure you get to come out as clear as possible is to wet sand with a higher grit. and just keep wet sanding it with a higher and higher grit until your at like 2000.

When I wet sanded the outside I discovered that it would still looked "blurry" too. Wait a day or two and try to repolish it. Make sure its 100% dry.

If all else fails, spray a couple coats of high temp clear.
I think the "heavy cut cleaner" should have gotten the "blurriness" out but still no go.

If all else fails I'll buy some ebay headlights and try and make them fit
Old 04-16-09, 10:07 PM
logicalman
Driver

Originally Posted by Luxor
if you buy ebay ones, they will yellow out in a year
Are you serious? what if you clear them?
Old 04-16-09, 10:20 PM
Peter_95
Lexus Champion

if you want it as clear as possible, you are going to need to go up to 3000 or more....
i went up to 6000 and mine are almost like new looking.... Dont give up! if you want some good looking headlights, you need to go all the way..~! good luck

if you have a hard time finding some high grit wet sanding paper, go on google, search 6000 grit sand paper and a few sites should pop up selling what you need...!
Old 04-16-09, 10:22 PM
Enigma8246
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by logicalman
Are you serious? what if you clear them?
clear will help. ebay lenses can be buffed just like OEM but they will need it more often.

be sure to wetsand with the 2000 grit but as mentioned by others, the higher the grit the better. I think that may have been your problem. 3m makes a rubbing compound similar to the plastix. may try that before the plastix.
Old 04-16-09, 10:35 PM
logicalman
Driver

Originally Posted by Peter_95
if you want it as clear as possible, you are going to need to go up to 3000 or more....
i went up to 6000 and mine are almost like new looking.... Dont give up! if you want some good looking headlights, you need to go all the way..~! good luck

if you have a hard time finding some high grit wet sanding paper, go on google, search 6000 grit sand paper and a few sites should pop up selling what you need...!
Do you really think I need to go that high with sand paper? I would think that after cutting and polish it would be clear as day? but its like looking thru a bottle.

Originally Posted by Enigma8246
clear will help. ebay lenses can be buffed just like OEM but they will need it more often.

be sure to wetsand with the 2000 grit but as mentioned by others, the higher the grit the better. I think that may have been your problem. 3m makes a rubbing compound similar to the plastix. may try that before the plastix.
Do you know if the ebay lenses will work with oem backs?

I was thinking about buying the 3m headlight restorer kit and using that.

Last edited by logicalman; 04-16-09 at 10:42 PM.
Old 04-16-09, 10:54 PM
bangdangvn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would def listen to peter_95. I had to go up to 6K for my acrylic fish tank (300 gallon) so it was def a lot more sanding than your headlights. It was still blurry after 2k but eventually got better.
Old 04-16-09, 11:03 PM
Peter_95
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by logicalman
Do you really think I need to go that high with sand paper? I would think that after cutting and polish it would be clear as day? but its like looking thru a bottle.
yup, trust me.... i went up to 2k grit and it was crap! still hazy, and guess what.. after i went up to 6k, i didn't even polish it yet and it looks pretty good.
I have plans on going up to 12k to get it super clear with like no scratches whatsoever...! its worth it, you wont regret it trust me. I speak from experience.
2k grit might seem like enough until you get up to 6k. even at 3k it was still kinda hazy

Quick Reply: my attemped to deline my headlight FAILED!