SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

My new minty fresh 5spd SC300 52k

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-09, 02:55 PM
SClean4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice red SC. I'd probably take a red one over my tan one, too. Have fun with your second one.
Old 04-19-09, 05:20 PM
$loJam
Pole Position

Originally Posted by soarinhigh
what was the point of that? to the OP, nice find man. Im definitely jealous.
I was j/p man
Old 04-19-09, 05:22 PM
rawdil49
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by $loJam
My 98 sc 4 stock will smoke this car even if it had a 6 speed manual. Clean ride though.
and my pickup truck will smoke your sc400 but a 5speed sc300 is way more fun to drive
Old 04-19-09, 05:28 PM
$loJam
Pole Position

Seriously, I drove a brand new sc 300 stick when I was a valet at the Boca Resort &Club back in 1993. The Sc is much fun driving it in stick, It does feel like it pulls more than the 92-96 dildomatic.
I believe the sc 300 is the preferred choice over the 400 BEFORE 1998. Not much diff between the two off the line b4 98.
Old 04-19-09, 06:36 PM
Avarec
Lexus Test Driver

slojam is being mischivious, its cool bro, do what u do
Old 04-20-09, 09:15 AM
vietunit
Lexus Champion

Congrats on the clean ride, still searching for that perfect one
Old 04-20-09, 10:06 AM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, I'm not in the market for ANOTHER SC but would have bought that one in a heart beat just for principal. Nice find.
Old 04-20-09, 04:57 PM
Gspec
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TroySC300
What are the downfalls of having a low mileage car?
Sorry for the late reply.

Low mileage older cars can give owners fits with problems that don't usually arise. I recommend sea-foaming your car a few times over the next month or so as it no-doubt has a higher than normal amount of carbon build up. Premature bearing failure is also common in these cars, and it's caused by the car only being driven for short trips, and rarely getting up to proper operating temp. What happens is you'll actually get condensation inside the engine that builds up into a white/yellow goo, very similar to what happens with a blown headgasket. Another problem caused by those short distance, and infrequent trips are excessive cylender wall wear...you can expect the ridge to be alot larger then in a daily driven car, and is something you want to watch out for if you start pushing that motor harder than what its used to...the higher the rpms you take it, the higher that pistons gonna go (the difference is miniscule, but when rings meet ridge's at high rpms bad things can happen.)

Other issues:

Transmission problems galore....you name it, i've seen it at my shop. I recommend servicing the tranny right away and adding a can of Seafoam's trans-tune when you refill it.

Brakes: The rubber brake lines going to the wheels will deteriorate on the inside, and cause the the calipers to lock down (acts like a one-way check valve.....lets the fluid go through, then blocks it from being able to return to the MC) something to watch out for. Also brake-booster diaphragm failure from dry-rot. and of course BMC seal failure at the booster.

Kept an eye out for leaking seals on valve covers, front and rear mains, and the oil pan gasket.

Watch for signs of the radiator ballooning (esp on really hot days)

Check the tires for dry rot

and if the struts are good, dont expect them too stay that way for long if you start putting some miles on it freqently.

Not trying to discourage you with your new ride, just wanted to give you a heads up on what most people dont think about when they find a low mileage "gem".

-G
Old 04-20-09, 10:50 PM
TroySC300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gspec
Sorry for the late reply.

Low mileage older cars can give owners fits with problems that don't usually arise. I recommend sea-foaming your car a few times over the next month or so as it no-doubt has a higher than normal amount of carbon build up. Premature bearing failure is also common in these cars, and it's caused by the car only being driven for short trips, and rarely getting up to proper operating temp. What happens is you'll actually get condensation inside the engine that builds up into a white/yellow goo, very similar to what happens with a blown headgasket. Another problem caused by those short distance, and infrequent trips are excessive cylender wall wear...you can expect the ridge to be alot larger then in a daily driven car, and is something you want to watch out for if you start pushing that motor harder than what its used to...the higher the rpms you take it, the higher that pistons gonna go (the difference is miniscule, but when rings meet ridge's at high rpms bad things can happen.)

Other issues:

Transmission problems galore....you name it, i've seen it at my shop. I recommend servicing the tranny right away and adding a can of Seafoam's trans-tune when you refill it.

Brakes: The rubber brake lines going to the wheels will deteriorate on the inside, and cause the the calipers to lock down (acts like a one-way check valve.....lets the fluid go through, then blocks it from being able to return to the MC) something to watch out for. Also brake-booster diaphragm failure from dry-rot. and of course BMC seal failure at the booster.

Kept an eye out for leaking seals on valve covers, front and rear mains, and the oil pan gasket.

Watch for signs of the radiator ballooning (esp on really hot days)

Check the tires for dry rot

and if the struts are good, dont expect them too stay that way for long if you start putting some miles on it freqently.

Not trying to discourage you with your new ride, just wanted to give you a heads up on what most people dont think about when they find a low mileage "gem".

-G
That's a lot of good info. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on those things.
Old 04-21-09, 01:42 AM
RAW*WAR
Rookie

i alomost did as good as you man, i got mine in the same color 5speed with the same wheels 1992, but at 66,xxx miles, lol crazy where did you find yours?
Old 04-21-09, 08:06 AM
snomanlex
Lead Lap

Awesome find man. I'm rocking about 180k more than you. I wish I knew what low mileage felt like haha.
Old 04-21-09, 04:16 PM
$loJam
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rawdil49
and my pickup truck will smoke your sc400 but a 5speed sc300 is way more fun to drive
Sure dude.
Old 04-21-09, 06:20 PM
TroySC300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RAW*WAR
i alomost did as good as you man, i got mine in the same color 5speed with the same wheels 1992, but at 66,xxx miles, lol crazy where did you find yours?
Found it on this site. The car was in Cape Coral, FL

Today I swapped over the Injen intake, clear headlights, and HIDs from the gold SC to the red one.
Old 04-21-09, 06:28 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 383 Likes on 225 Posts

Are you gonna swap the IS rims over as well?
Old 04-21-09, 06:35 PM
TroySC300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1UZ-SC
Are you gonna swap the IS rims over as well?
For sure! That happens Thursday when I swap over the springs and struts

Quick Reply: My new minty fresh 5spd SC300 52k