SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

My new minty fresh 5spd SC300 52k

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-09, 11:26 PM
TroySC300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been working hard and spending money Did some interior detailing and finally replaced the trunk struts. I say finally because my last SC had blown struts but I never really cared enough to drop the $20 and spend 20min replacing them...

My stock stereo has been blown in this car since I bought it... The new stereo system has been coming in bits and pieces via snail mail for the past week and it is all finally here. Robbie2883 will be doing the install some time this week.

Also I got these tails brand new from Lexus

Next on the horizon is exhaust, bigger brakes, some tranny work, then boost.
Old 09-07-09, 10:42 PM
TroySC300
Lexus Test Driver

I decided to go a different route than I had originally planned with regards to my exhaust. I bought and installed an electric cutout and I LOVE it! It is as quiet as stock when closed, but when I open it WOW it grumbles and roars. It's been a lot of fun playing with this thing. I'll post pics and a sound vid soon.

Got it here http://www.summitracing.com/parts/QTP-QTEC30/
Old 09-08-09, 04:18 AM
djb5118
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where did you install the cutout along the exhaust? I was thinking about doing this as well

a pic would be great!
Old 09-08-09, 09:21 AM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

How much were the tails brand new? Just curious... Thanks!
Old 09-08-09, 01:02 PM
TroySC300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by djb5118
where did you install the cutout along the exhaust? I was thinking about doing this as well

a pic would be great!
My center cat was cracked so they took it off and welded the cutout and y-pipe in its place. I'll get a pic soon.
Originally Posted by masagsxr
How much were the tails brand new? Just curious... Thanks!
They were $350 for the pair plus tax and shipping from Lexus of Pembroke Pines. Got the hyper-blink fixed today. My buddy wired 2 of the bulbs from the old harnesses into each side and they work perfectly now.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...82&catalogid=0
Old 09-08-09, 02:34 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TroySC300
My center cat was cracked so they took it off and welded the cutout and y-pipe in its place. I'll get a pic soon.

They were $350 for the pair plus tax and shipping from Lexus of Pembroke Pines. Got the hyper-blink fixed today. My buddy wired 2 of the bulbs from the old harnesses into each side and they work perfectly now.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...82&catalogid=0
I like the cut out nice work man And can you please post a good pic of what wires were matted to get rid of the hyperblink.
Old 09-11-09, 10:58 AM
TroySC300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by YeA 2jZ
I like the cut out nice work man And can you please post a good pic of what wires were matted to get rid of the hyperblink.
Made a thread for the hyperblink fix.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...blink-fix.html

Here's a pic of the cutout installed.

Old 09-11-09, 11:00 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

sweet !! LoL
Old 09-11-09, 07:46 PM
djb5118
Lead Lap

so you added a Y pipe i assume?

edit: apparently I can't read

lets see some vids! haha
Old 09-12-09, 06:51 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Sweet... trademotion is a pretty cool site... Thanks
Old 09-12-09, 07:02 PM
tkafam1
Pole Position

Here's a stupid question, what does a "cut out" do?
Old 09-12-09, 07:25 PM
markesc
Lead Lap

All that stuff makes me sad... I want to think that there is an SC sitting in a garage that has under 10k miles that's exactly like the day it was built: Perfect....

Here is the thing.... lets say there is..... Would you mod it or leave it stock? I say stock for some reason...

Originally Posted by Gspec
Sorry for the late reply.

Low mileage older cars can give owners fits with problems that don't usually arise. I recommend sea-foaming your car a few times over the next month or so as it no-doubt has a higher than normal amount of carbon build up. Premature bearing failure is also common in these cars, and it's caused by the car only being driven for short trips, and rarely getting up to proper operating temp. What happens is you'll actually get condensation inside the engine that builds up into a white/yellow goo, very similar to what happens with a blown headgasket. Another problem caused by those short distance, and infrequent trips are excessive cylender wall wear...you can expect the ridge to be alot larger then in a daily driven car, and is something you want to watch out for if you start pushing that motor harder than what its used to...the higher the rpms you take it, the higher that pistons gonna go (the difference is miniscule, but when rings meet ridge's at high rpms bad things can happen.)

Other issues:

Transmission problems galore....you name it, i've seen it at my shop. I recommend servicing the tranny right away and adding a can of Seafoam's trans-tune when you refill it.

Brakes: The rubber brake lines going to the wheels will deteriorate on the inside, and cause the the calipers to lock down (acts like a one-way check valve.....lets the fluid go through, then blocks it from being able to return to the MC) something to watch out for. Also brake-booster diaphragm failure from dry-rot. and of course BMC seal failure at the booster.

Kept an eye out for leaking seals on valve covers, front and rear mains, and the oil pan gasket.

Watch for signs of the radiator ballooning (esp on really hot days)

Check the tires for dry rot

and if the struts are good, dont expect them too stay that way for long if you start putting some miles on it freqently.

Not trying to discourage you with your new ride, just wanted to give you a heads up on what most people dont think about when they find a low mileage "gem".

-G
Old 09-12-09, 08:51 PM
TroySC300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tkafam1
Here's a stupid question, what does a "cut out" do?
Right now, nothing besides make a lot of noise when it's open When it's open, the exhaust exits the car before reaching the mufflers or resonators. I'll post a video here soon.
Originally Posted by markesc
All that stuff makes me sad... I want to think that there is an SC sitting in a garage that has under 10k miles that's exactly like the day it was built: Perfect....

Here is the thing.... lets say there is..... Would you mod it or leave it stock? I say stock for some reason...
I know there are a few super low mileage SCs in southern FL. Depending on how low it is, I'd probably leave it stock.
Old 10-05-09, 06:00 PM
TroySC300
Lexus Test Driver

Took a quick picture of where I stuck the cutout switch. No cutting or drilling was required. I pulled out the center console trim, pulled out the sliding ash tray, unscrewed and removed the little metal bracket in back of the trim that is used to hold in the ash tray. Then I stick the switch in where the metal bracket used to be and added a washer to keep it from falling out! Works like a charm and is easily removable/replaceable.

Dash kit is still in the mail...

Up next is installing my LS400 BBK. Bought the calipers from Aliga and the rotors and SS brakes lines from iRotors.com I'm not going to paint or rebuild them, just a good sanding and they shined right up!

Old 10-05-09, 06:05 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

how much were the rotors n lines

Quick Reply: My new minty fresh 5spd SC300 52k