SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Cluster issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-09, 09:40 AM
jdmjzz30
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cluster issues

Ok, I used the search and it seems several people have cluster issues, but none of their threads have been resolved.

I was planning on sending my cluster in to get some new needles and backlighting, but all of a sudden my cluster doe not want to work. It's just random.

Sometimes the Tach works, then sometimes the speedo works, but most of the time niether work.

When the speedo works, it is way off, not reading the right speed.

OLT any help would be great, before I send this cluster in for some new needles and backlight.
Old 04-20-09, 11:31 AM
2jzge-Moua
Driver School Candidate

Mine is like that too. well my rpm works fine but the speedometer doesnt work unless i go over bumps then the speedometer will move up to the speed. then my gas bar goes down every time when i make a right turn and that sucks too.
Old 06-25-09, 10:59 PM
89MA70
Pole Position

BUMP this thread up!! I'm having a similar problem too and dont wanna make another thread. Sometimes my RPM and Speed work but most of the time only the speed works. As I drive the RPM will work and sometimes the RPM will work when i make a right hand turn or hit a bump or something.

My fuel gauge doesnt read full when I fill it up to full. It sits right in the middle between the full and 3/4 tank full mark.

I notice there are some wires under my car that arent connected. Two wire(red and yellow wire) run from the same area and the other runs from the opposite side(red wire). none of them are wired to anything and just hang freely.. :S I dunno if they come from the a speed sensor or something..???

any help?

Last edited by 89MA70; 06-30-09 at 01:43 AM.
Old 06-30-09, 12:48 AM
ronricorum
Pole Position

Bump this. My speedo suddenly stopped werkin unless I tap the cluster.
Old 06-30-09, 05:59 AM
tritron
Lead Lap

I have the same problem with rpm working fine only when there are high rpms on low it goes below zero. My other device shows rpms correctly. Sometimes the speed sensor goes bad. What if you take your speedometer apart and clean the contacts.
Old 06-30-09, 06:14 AM
chrisacura
Driver School Candidate

Default tach doesnt work properly

my speedo works fine but the tach doesnt like to work most of the time. sometimes i can tap the tach real hard and it starts working but not all the time. sometimes it will just start working all by its self. also my needles have no lights on them. Any help would be great.

thanks
Old 09-30-09, 05:13 AM
ronricorum
Pole Position

need a bump to this. someone please help.
Old 09-30-09, 07:29 AM
Dirty SC
Pole Position

also haveing the same issues BUMP
Old 10-12-09, 01:06 PM
Pspice
Lead Lap

bump x1000
Old 10-12-09, 02:22 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

OH my goodness. Sounds like the motors behind the tach and the MPH are going bad. I dont know what the two colored wires go to, but it sounds like all of the same symptoms and problems. Has anyone changed out the motors inside the cluster. My fuel gauge was doing the same thing as everyone seems to be fussing about, and I changed out the motor and now it works perfect. Another issue maybe the needles are wedge on there too tight. Has anyone messed with the needles, and now the problems occur?

If someone decides to pull the cluster apart, there are little thin brass or copper wires that are coiled for each of the tachs, if one of them has become bent, twisted or out of alignment, they WILL NOT work or work improper! PM OLT and see if he can help.

My fuel and temp needles move up a little around a sharp turn, but this is AFTER I changed out the needles from Lextech. BUT they go back to place when straightenend up. They only move about an 1/8 th of an inch or so. Its no problem. Keep us posted and let me know what you all figure out.
Old 10-12-09, 03:51 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 345 Likes on 224 Posts

^^ Your needles can only move by what your sensors tell them to, they adjust as you drive. Regardless of which needles are there, they can't move themselves. You are just noticing them now that they are lit.

I'd like to have a weigh in on this non functional cluster issue, but there is just too many variables. The lighting system is a one trick pony, but the signal system has

- sensor
- path to cluster
- fuse (of the gauges)
- connections inside the cluster
- cluster motherboard
- motor motherboards
- motors themselves

............yeah. so this thread is lacking info because it's completely different on an individual level for every car. Too many components.
Old 10-12-09, 04:03 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

signs of your motor gone out is when it doesn't move smoothly anymore, like it gets snagged every few 100 rpm as it goes up. i fixed this problem by swapping out the whole tach board and speedo board on one of my other clusters.

if you do that at the least you will have eliminated 2 of the things olt listed above.
if you swap clusters you can eliminate 4 of the things above.

if the needle drops back down all the way to 0 randomly and then jumps back to where its supossed to be, or not where it supossed to be, I would start looking at the sensor responsible for that signal. i think tach signal comes from the ignitor, speedo not so sure.
if both rpm and speedo are going in and out, i would start looking at the connection to the cluster itself, the 3 plugs on the back. i mean, what are the chances 2 of your sensors are dying at the same time?
especially the guy who is tapping his cluster to make it work right. i will go out on a limb and say it is highly likely your problem is just a loose connection. make sure you put all the screws back into your cluster also.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 10-12-09 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-12-09, 04:40 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree... Someone now getup and pull the cluster and see if it fixes some of the problems, if not all of them!
Old 10-12-09, 05:04 PM
ronricorum
Pole Position

wooo! thank you all for the advice and troubleshooting tips. i am definitely gonna check it out. again thank you all and i love this site! =D