SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Key will not come OUT!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-09, 07:08 PM
cbc's lex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Key will not come OUT!!!

Car runs incredible. Then I went to the store yesterday(was raining), pulled into parking spot, wouldn't go into park(Any gear but park). Got mad, drove home. Still wouldn't go into park... removed shifter and cover plate. Saw nothing wrong, tried park again with a little force(not too much, but there was a little tick sound), went into park. Key wouldn't come out, let sit for a couple hours(thinking what could be wrong). Went to car, key came right out. Put key in, turned it, wouldn't turn back.

Sum up: If I turn my key it will not come back out for about an hour.

WHY please?!

Is there a brake sensor that might have gone out, or a trans sensor?

I've checked all the fuses. Nothing blown. I was thinking maybe the rain got to something it shouldn't have...I don't know.

Help!!!
Old 04-20-09, 07:10 PM
romeo291
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That happened to me once, it was a fuse for a bulb in my parking light. This was on a different car though.
Old 04-20-09, 07:29 PM
Cwall
Rookie

This happened to me once, and I sorta paniced! I believe I had to put the car in "N" neutral, and the key came out, it might also have to do something with the battery (which was my case) Hopefully that works, if I remember correctly. The "click" sound is made when you tap the break, some cars are louder than others. This just allows you to shift into Reverse, Drive, etc.
Old 04-20-09, 08:55 PM
Gspec
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like you need a new Neutral Safety swtich....in the mean time, unplug it and jump the wires to release the key lock.
Old 04-20-09, 09:03 PM
itazura
Pole Position

my key got stuck once also.... i did this and it didn't happen again...
i don't think its the exact same situation but worth a try i guess...

if you take off the panel under the gauge cluster (hour,minute,mileage panel, etc). you can kind of see a button on top of the key linkage cylinder. there is a release button on top of the cylinder. use something thin or pointy and push down on the button. its like a emergency release button. its so you can take out the key and also releases the steering lock mechanism.
Old 04-21-09, 06:27 AM
Jeembo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Cwall
The "click" sound is made when you tap the break, some cars are louder than others. This just allows you to shift into Reverse, Drive, etc.
That's what that clicking is?? I figured it was because I unhooked my 3rd brake light (though it didn't go away when I got a new one).
Old 04-21-09, 08:54 AM
cbc's lex
Driver School Candidate

The click sound was me making it go into park, the brake was compressed and the noise came from the base of the shifter. I don't believe it is the neutral safety switch because I am to understand the car is only supposed to start in neutral if that is bad. Mine starts in park no problem. I checked the transmissioin fluid and it seems to be overfilled. Could that have anything to do with it?
Old 04-21-09, 10:19 AM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Happens some times to the hubbys car, Press the brake, and really slam that thing into park
Old 04-21-09, 11:35 AM
Jeembo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cbc's lex
The click sound was me making it go into park, the brake was compressed and the noise came from the base of the shifter. I don't believe it is the neutral safety switch because I am to understand the car is only supposed to start in neutral if that is bad. Mine starts in park no problem. I checked the transmissioin fluid and it seems to be overfilled. Could that have anything to do with it?
That's where my clicking comes from too. Only happens while I'm in park and I can kind of feel it through the eBrake boot. I suppose I could take the boot off and investigate, but it really doesn't bug me anymore.
Old 04-21-09, 12:06 PM
cbc's lex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jeembo
That's where my clicking comes from too. Only happens while I'm in park and I can kind of feel it through the eBrake boot. I suppose I could take the boot off and investigate, but it really doesn't bug me anymore.

Mine only clicked the first time that I "made" it go in. It goes in just fine now, but something isn't telling the key it can come out. It's just not reading that it is in park.
Old 04-21-09, 02:25 PM
Gspec
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gspec
Neutral Safety swtich....
Old 04-22-09, 06:34 PM
cbc's lex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gspec
Sounds like you need a new Neutral Safety swtich....in the mean time, unplug it and jump the wires to release the key lock.
Do you know where it is located? I can't find any diagrams or anything. Any links or w/e would be greatly appreciated. I found a new one for $112.
Old 04-22-09, 07:47 PM
huNGjaii
Pole Position

Try wiggling it back and forth in park, switch through gears if you have to. I've had this happen to me quite a few times in a rental car. It has to do something with the transmission and the car not knowing that the car is in park. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 04-22-09, 07:58 PM
Gspec
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cbc's lex
Do you know where it is located? I can't find any diagrams or anything. Any links or w/e would be greatly appreciated. I found a new one for $112.
Should be under the console and connected to the shifter assembly.
Old 04-22-09, 08:01 PM
cbc's lex
Driver School Candidate

I have all of that pulled apart but I don't see anything that looks like it.

Quick Reply: Key will not come OUT!!!