SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

coolant loss ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-09, 11:49 AM
scturbo28
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant loss ?

Hello guys i have been noticing coolant loss just a little from my coolant resevoir, my car does not overheat at all , its a new motor 1jzgte-vvti i took the thermostat out of the engine before i put the motor in because you don't need that in florida i think. so the resevoir is filled to the full mark and maybe by the third day or so it will be a tad below the full mark not all the way empty nor half way just a tad below the full mark, i don't think this is normal, the car drives fine ,its stock completely, stock boost,stock turbo, the temperature is always at half or a tad below half mark and has been , what can it be.
Old 04-23-09, 01:01 PM
RANDY P
Driver

For starters, it's not a good idea to take the thermostat out of any engine, regardless of climate. There is no way to regulate temperature so you could very well be running too cool, which makes the car run rich (because it always thinks it's in warmup) and not only do you waste gas, you can cook your Cats or just generally f everything up.

Engine needs temperature as well to heat the engine oil up hot enough to burn away contaminants like water so it stays cleaner. Engine will have tighter piston to cylinder seal with more heat.

Anyhow about the usage, I would put the PROPER thermostat back in, bleed the system, make sure you have no leaks and a fresh radiator cap, top it off and observe how long it takes to get to the lower mark. Sometimes it's just the coolant you use.

Such minimal loss isn't an issue. There is always some.

rjp
Old 04-23-09, 03:55 PM
scturbo28
Rookie

Default coolant loss

Originally Posted by RANDY P
For starters, it's not a good idea to take the thermostat out of any engine, regardless of climate. There is no way to regulate temperature so you could very well be running too cool, which makes the car run rich (because it always thinks it's in warmup) and not only do you waste gas, you can cook your Cats or just generally f everything up.

Engine needs temperature as well to heat the engine oil up hot enough to burn away contaminants like water so it stays cleaner. Engine will have tighter piston to cylinder seal with more heat.

Anyhow about the usage, I would put the PROPER thermostat back in, bleed the system, make sure you have no leaks and a fresh radiator cap, top it off and observe how long it takes to get to the lower mark. Sometimes it's just the coolant you use.

Such minimal loss isn't an issue. There is always some.

rjp
thank you very much for your input i will certainly put the thermostat back in even though its going to be a pain , but also how do i bleed my coolant system ? i am not sure how to do that .
Old 04-26-09, 05:48 PM
RANDY P
Driver

One thing, stick with the stock thermostat unless you have a specific application (higher compression / boost) or a custom tune which will allow you to tell the ecu the colder temp. is normal. If it's a stock internal engine best stick with stock thermostat.

If it runs too cold then it's a problem.

On the bleeding, pay a shop $60 to bleed and fill it. easiest, neatest way to do it.
Old 04-26-09, 08:45 PM
sc4002soar
Driver

coolant leak, check radiator...if car is dropped may have something pinched it from support bar.
Old 04-28-09, 07:07 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I know my resevoir a little crack around the top portion of the tank. Inspect the tank very carefully, and then pay a shop to bleed it. The seal under the sensor on top of the resevoir, also are known to leak also. They contract and expand so much. Be careful if you have to remove it. Dont break the 2 sensor wires when you turn the plastic piece to get to the rubber seal.