SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

92-94 Tails on a 97 SC

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-09, 12:17 PM
Ryeno
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter_95
darn it, trade pending? im in ca and probably close to you haha. Im here if you need a pair of 96 tails.
anyways..... im not too sure about that whole rewiring thing, wish it was less complicated too!

btw.. that pic above, that guy got a nice sc... Whose car is that =)
sha something, search tsx and his thread will be like top 3. I personally dont like the blue leds, i think my white ones look much better.

BTW my pic is old, i have 97 tails now.

ah, so nice.
Old 04-24-09, 12:20 PM
Peter_95
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ryeno
sha something, search tsx and his thread will be like top 3. I personally dont like the blue leds, i think my white ones look much better.

BTW my pic is old, i have 97 tails now.

ah, so nice.
lol, its my car, i was just playin' and blue led's? where?
Old 04-24-09, 12:23 PM
Ryeno
Banned

license plate light. I found out putting white leds in the tail lights, doors and key ring makes the car feel a lot nicer. If you look in my first pic i have white leds for the lic. plate light. While the guy with 95 tails has blue leds. Blue will get you pulled over too.
Old 04-24-09, 12:29 PM
Peter_95
Lexus Champion

license plate light. I found out putting white leds in the tail lights, doors and key ring makes the car feel a lot nicer. If you look in my first pic i have white leds for the lic. plate light. While the guy with 95 tails has blue leds. Blue will get you pulled over too.
oh yeah, well.... the pic makes those led's look bluer than they really are. I bought them white, and they started to fade but never that blue like in the pic... i no longer have those, i got white ones now =)
i agree though.... i hate blue led's also, makes the car not look as nice.
Old 04-24-09, 03:50 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Call it crazy, nuts, what ever you want, I just don't like the 97 tails. I plan to retro the lights both inside and out, so that looking old stuff won't be an issue. I just wanted to find out what kind of electrical issues I was going to have to deal with, but I think they are easily manageable.

Thanks for the help and all the opinions

Last edited by GS FONZy; 04-24-09 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-24-09, 03:57 PM
drifter x
Pole Position

i think different is cool
Old 04-24-09, 04:40 PM
Amini9
Lexus Test Driver

How? The rectangle parking light, that bleeds over the reverse light, and brake light square both look so unnatural on the SC. They completely clash with the SCs streamlined body. And even worse they look like the OLD SCHOOL, same style as the old ES(gen 1/2), camry (gen 1/2), numerous hondas(acuras). And they are almost identical to the 1995 toyota corolla, except streched.

Toyota made a huge improvement in the 95 tails, which explains the drastic boost in sales.
Look:

It looks so much more streamlined. The 97+s are even better since now the top and bottom of the tail lights no longer look like separate pieces.
You're entitled to your opinion, so am I.

Sure the 95-96 and 97+ looks good, but you're basically saying the 92-94s shouldn't even exist. It doesn't look THAT bad. You're also kind of nit-picking it too much, saying the rectangle is bleeding behind the parking like. I didn't even notice it until I read this and then looked closer.

Yeah, I know it looks like many older cars, and if you think about it, the 92-94s were like the 'improved' look of those es\toyota\acura tails. It doesn't look like huge red and orange boxes on the back of the car. The look of it is smooth. If you actually look at the 95-96, there are more little boxes in the tail light then the 92-94s.

The 95-96s only have the top part as the parking light, but the rest is boxes, the reverse light, the turning signal...
Old 04-24-09, 09:14 PM
BBriBro
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a great pic, of all the tail light threads, VERY FEW actually show them illuminated.
Old 04-25-09, 04:48 AM
Ryeno
Banned

Originally Posted by Amini9
You're entitled to your opinion, so am I.

Sure the 95-96 and 97+ looks good, but you're basically saying the 92-94s shouldn't even exist. It doesn't look THAT bad. You're also kind of nit-picking it too much, saying the rectangle is bleeding behind the parking like. I didn't even notice it until I read this and then looked closer.
When compared to the 95s, the 92 look bad. When compared to the 97s, the 92s look ancient.
Originally Posted by Amini9
Yeah, I know it looks like many older cars, and if you think about it, the 92-94s were like the 'improved' look of those es\toyota\acura tails. It doesn't look like huge red and orange boxes on the back of the car. The look of it is smooth. If you actually look at the 95-96, there are more little boxes in the tail light then the 92-94s.

The 95-96s only have the top part as the parking light, but the rest is boxes, the reverse light, the turning signal...
FTW I don't like 95s either. They don't look like 1 piece; the top half looks separated from the bottom half. 97s are the best. Everything flows nicely. Even tho turn signal box is orange, it doesn't really stand out. Plus the reverse light box doesn't look out of place. The red color of the tail lights is very nice, unlike the 95s where the red is lolly pop color. And the chrome trim pulls everything together.
Originally Posted by GS FONZy
Call it crazy, nuts, what ever you want, I just don't like the 97 tails. I plan to retro the lights both inside and out, so that looking old stuff won't be an issue. I just wanted to find out what kind of electrical issues I was going to have to deal with, but I think they are easily manageable.

Thanks for the help and all the opinions
You are crazy. The vast majority of people like the 97s the most. Which is why you see so many people upgrading to them. That means when people in the real world see your car with 92s, they are gonna think its crappier/older v seeing your car with the 97s+s.

Sure you could try to spray paint them one color. But you gotta find the exact right shade of red otherwise it will stick out. Like this guy:

You could tint them, but then you will be getting pulled over everyday. And even an LED mod would look nicer on the 97s.

I just think your really wasting your time and effort on something that when the majority of people see, will think is a downgrade.

Perhaps you should ask your friends what they think.
Old 04-26-09, 12:13 AM
sbs9
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
When you've got it working, post back with a howto.

They ruined the rear of the SC in 95...
Old 04-26-09, 11:38 AM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

when people in the real world see your car with 92s, they are gonna think its crappier/older v seeing your car with the 97s+s.

I am willing to bet 99.9999% of people in the "real world" will not notice or even think anything of the lights.

Thanks for your opinion, I can see where you're coming from