SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

College student project, open to suggestions :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-09, 10:40 PM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh geez your school fees are like. nothing. Well it's comparable to our JC's.. def not the UCs

sell me your lip
Old 04-23-09, 10:51 PM
P Weezy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SCboy
Oh geez your school fees are like. nothing. Well it's comparable to our JC's.. def not the UCs

sell me your lip
X 2. UC's KILL the pockets!

But nice car....i think the white on the Sienna is pretty sick.
Old 04-23-09, 10:55 PM
FuMoFFuTT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SCboy

sell me your lip

pm me your offer, i'll keep it as a sidenote.
Old 04-24-09, 06:43 PM
FuMoFFuTT
Lexus Test Driver

I've created a second thread specifically about the colour, hopefully find something nice..

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ml#post4466973
Old 04-25-09, 10:25 AM
Neil4Speed
Driver

Originally Posted by FuMoFFuTT
Thanks for the concern, I find that I've already done so much that I might aswell do the rest and I'd rather not have my bodykit, and lights sit there..

Also, don't worry, I have a big chunk of money that I don't touch and is dedicated for school.
I don't know how it works in the US, but here in Canada, the school fees are not too expensive.
I pay 1 semester (half a year) it's $140 canadian. A lot is covered by the government.
Don't speak for Canada, speak for Quebec! lol, my Tuition for 1 semester is about $2500.

But have you looked at Cayman White Pearl from the Hondas/Acuras? Quite a nice color.
Old 04-25-09, 12:10 PM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

U all have nothing on a Private Art school... $$$ OUCH!!!
Old 04-25-09, 02:02 PM
Ryeno
Banned

IMO painting the car is a waste of money. First it costs an arm and a leg to get a paint job that wont chip or fade over time. And second that car is your DD correct? Its only a matter of time till you get into a car accident or even worse leave your car in a parking lot and come back to see it dented. I would just wait until someone hits your car and then have insurance pay for the new paint. Then again insurance might try totaling car but still its only a matter of time till some messed up that brand new expensive paint job/bumper. I would wait until you get another car and retire the SC to weekend duty to paint it.

Your car already comes with the 1jz-gte correct? I would do performance mods, suspension, brake calipers. manual tranny(if you are auto), fat turbo. Something to make the car more fun. If your dead seat on wasting money on a paint job get oem toyota 051 diamond pearl white. My SC300 has a really good condition paint job so it doesnt look yellow at all, while my sc400s one has started to tarnish. Plus that will help keep the value of the car high since its oem color.
Old 04-25-09, 06:37 PM
SoarerAZ
Pole Position

Do yourself a long term favor and figure out what you value most. Aesthetics or performance. Too many people who value one over the other personally will try and sway you one way. Find what you value most and pursue it.

The only thing I can really chime in on is this. If you decide you value your Soarer's aesthetics, make sure you attempt it properly. Make sure you get a good, solid paint job from a reputable source. Saying that a good paint job for a DD is a waste of money is stupid. Let the poster actually decide if it's a waste. Make sure the paint source does a good job of fitting that body kit too.

Second, make sure you have a good drop (QUALITY suspension) on some good looking wheels. It'll all come together as you complete the steps. As far as the replica kit goes, that's all on you. Many have had successful fitments with replicas, others haven't. I personally do not like the use of replica parts.

Last...but certainly not least ..don't be afraid to take your time on this project. I advise putting quality components on your SC over grabbing the 1st thing you see on ebay for the sake of having update posts for Club Lexus. I'm not saying you're going to do that, I've just seen that WAY too many times. Who cares how long you take.
Old 04-25-09, 07:43 PM
Ryeno
Banned

Originally Posted by SoarerAZ
Saying that a good paint job for a DD is a waste of money is stupid.
Depends on the integrity of your current.
The OPs car doesn't look like this

My whole point is someone is gonna screw up your bumper if you wait long enough. Thats why i would not pay out of pocket for paint since you can have insurance pay for it, if you wait.

But anyways back on topic, i would get the car painted in oem 051 for sure. He said he only wants to keep the car for 5 yrs, so keeping the color original is the best thing he can do next to not painting the car. FTW having new paint on an old car is usually considered worse then having oem paint. Most people assume if a car thats old, has been repainted, and is selling for msrp price, that the paint is a cheepo job. But if the car is selling for above msrp price, people will pass on it because it HAD bad paint at one time and they can get an equally good car for less with oem paint. So its like if people are like wow nice paint, you can atleast say ya its oem or something like that. If you put nissan or bmw paint on and people notice its not oem, its gonna be very sketchy and a hard sell.
Old 04-26-09, 01:49 AM
SoarerAZ
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ryeno
Depends on the integrity of your current.
The OPs car doesn't look like this

But anyways back on topic, i would get the car painted in oem 051 for sure. He said he only wants to keep the car for 5 yrs, so keeping the color original is the best thing he can do next to not painting the car. FTW having new paint on an old car is usually considered worse then having oem paint. Most people assume if a car thats old, has been repainted, and is selling for msrp price, that the paint is a cheepo job. But if the car is selling for above msrp price, people will pass on it because it HAD bad paint at one time and they can get an equally good car for less with oem paint. So its like if people are like wow nice paint, you can atleast say ya its oem or something like that. If you put nissan or bmw paint on and people notice its not oem, its gonna be very sketchy and a hard sell.
...and what factual evidence are you basing this off of again?

" FTW having new paint on an old car is usually considered worse then having oem paint."

orly?!?!?!?! Again, where are getting this stuff from?

Resale value will all come down to quality, parts installed, and the end all, buyer's actual based value on the vehicle. Face it, the car's only getting older. If he plans to tune it and keep it looking good, paint/body work is inevitable, especially since he wants an aftermarket body kit... and that's it - plain out, straight out. None of this variable, "well don't do it because someone's going to crash into you" - that assumptive mentality is asinine at best.

Do me a favor, and tell that to every tuner whose ever taken a 17 year old car, or even slightly newer, completely rebuilt it, and repainted it. For all we know, he may end up not even caring and just go all out with performance, who knows?

Ryeno...your comments are pure gold, thanks.
Old 04-26-09, 10:30 AM
Avarec
Lexus Test Driver

bmw Alpina white
Old 04-26-09, 10:53 AM
Ryeno
Banned

Originally Posted by SoarerAZ
...and what factual evidence are you basing this off of again?

" FTW having new paint on an old car is usually considered worse then having oem paint."

orly?!?!?!?! Again, where are getting this stuff from?
Have you not seen the carfax commercials?

If an old car has good oem paint, that means it was taken care of and well maintained. Thats price boost and makes selling easier.

If a used car has bad oem paint, that means it was neglected, Thats bad and makes selling the car harder.

If an OLD car has been repainted, it usually means the person is trying to cover up flaws. Since the car is old and worth lets say 4k, good paint for the whole car is gonna cost as much if not more then the car. Usually people dont spend more then their car is worth on paint. Their is always the exception to the rule but 9 times out of 10, new paint on an old car is a cheep paint that will fade. Now couple that if getting an unoem paint color and it justs adds more doubt and lowers the value further.
Old 04-26-09, 01:12 PM
SoarerAZ
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ryeno
Have you not seen the carfax commercials?

Greatest quote ever. Of course we all know our television's know best, right Ryeno?
Old 04-26-09, 05:47 PM
FuMoFFuTT
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for all the comments guys. I have a couple of reasons why I want to repaint the car. If I put it in a list for it'll be easier to understand

- Scrapes on roof, some spots with bare metal (will eventually rust, and I want to prevent that)
- My rear bumper was hit, scraping a bit of my rear fender. (I have a $500 deductible for insurance, they would cover $1000 max, even if I told them I'd have to paint my bumper, fender, roof over to other fender to make everything match. + my insurance)
- Paint defects need to be fixed
- Dent on the quarter panel
- Body kit painted all at the same time would ensure that I have no two-tone.

Along with the replica bodykit, the fitment SUCKED, but don't worry. My bodyshop is taking half my OEM bumper and molding it with the replica bumper to ensure that the lines and the fitment of the bodykit is OEM. I've seen their work and I'll try to have pictures in 2 days when I stop by.

This summer is all about the body and maintenance like I stated in the first post. Performance will come next summer.
Old 04-28-09, 03:23 PM
FuMoFFuTT
Lexus Test Driver

I stopped by the shop today to see how everything was going. Here's the progress!

Here's my OEM bumper getting molded to the aftermarket one.

Quick Reply: College student project, open to suggestions :)