SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Buying a Jet Ski Need Some Input

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-09, 08:35 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Buying a Jet Ski Need Some Input

Well its almost summer time and i have been itching for a ski so I am finaly going to pull the trigger and pick one up at the end of the month. BUT i dont want to borrow my dads truck everytime I wanna take it out. So I wanted to know if anyone had any experices towing with thier SC I think i am just going to throw on a hitch and just pull it in my car. Just wanna get some advice on this topic if some of you guys could give your input and/or info on what companies make hitches for the SC and etc. thanks in advance.......
Old 04-28-09, 08:37 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 385 Likes on 227 Posts

hmm I know U-haul makes trailer hitches for cars
Old 04-28-09, 08:40 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

I offer you the search button. "towing" searched thread title only, sc forum.

lookie at all the other times someone asked that question.........

Old 04-28-09, 08:54 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
I offer you the search button. "towing" searched thread title only, sc forum.

lookie at all the other times someone asked that question.........
you should change your username name to SEARCH because thats the only thing you offer up when u make a post.. I did use the search feature and was not satisfied I wanted input on my specific situation thanks

...... I dont know what search you use but the one on CL really looks like this when you input "Towing" in the SC300/400 section

Last edited by YeA 2jZ; 04-28-09 at 09:07 PM. Reason: showing that I searched
Old 04-28-09, 09:09 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

See you don't pay attention which is why you can't get the answer you want. I told you how to do it and you still can't. I literally come in and try to help you by telling you how to search it and you didn't do it so that's what I get back and it's your fault for doing it wrong. LOL........ok then!
Old 04-28-09, 09:15 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

See you don't pay attention which is why you can't get the answer you want. I told you how to do it and you still can't. I literally come in and try to help you by telling you how to search it and you didn't do it so that's what I get back and it's your fault for doing it wrong. LOL........ok then!
your right i did it wrong I just caught that but still its not very helpful of you (if thats what your trying to do) to just throw a random post and say to search. Come on man i've been a member for about 3 years (i think) i think i know how to search and like i said before just looking for input (recent) on my specific topic
Old 04-28-09, 09:20 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

and I've been a member for 7, a super mod for 6.5, a vendor for 3 combined, and when I make a post I put instructions on how to get the results you want just like I did above, that is called HELP.

Otherwise, I'd have said "you should search" and walked away. I told you specifically how to get the results you want, now you know how, AND the threads I know for a fact have the answer you wanted that you wouldn't have had to wait for if you'd have the info I gave you for future reference. Now you know how to find the exact thread you want, I showed you how, and that's that.
Old 04-28-09, 09:37 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

and I've been a member for 7, a super mod for 6.5, a vendor for 3 combined, and when I make a post I put instructions on how to get the results you want just like I did above, that is called HELP.

Otherwise, I'd have said "you should search" and walked away. I told you specifically how to get the results you want, now you know how, AND the threads I know for a fact have the answer you wanted that you wouldn't have had to wait for if you'd have the info I gave you for future reference. Now you know how to find the exact thread you want, I showed you how, and that's that.
sure buddy
Old 04-29-09, 12:33 AM
DRFT103
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a pro wakeskater, i've been docking boats for years.

It's no doubt that sc's have the power to pull it.. That won't be a problem. the only problem i see is if your launch ramp is really mellow, you might have problems with your mufflers going in the water. Unless you have a really long trailer, or if the ramp is steep.

and remember when dropping it in, always put the car in neutral then pull the hand brake tight, then put it in park. otherwise you'll destroy your transmission.

But that's about it.

*disclaimer* I dont use my SC to tow anything.
Old 04-29-09, 01:22 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

go on supraforums and look up the thread of a guy that made his own hideaway hitch.

he has a file up with all the dimensions. it will be a very close, to almost identical, fit on the SC.

ill try to find the link for you
Old 04-29-09, 04:26 AM
TecnoSmurf
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like YeA 2jZ
Old 04-29-09, 07:19 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
go on supraforums and look up the thread of a guy that made his own hideaway hitch.

he has a file up with all the dimensions. it will be a very close, to almost identical, fit on the SC.

ill try to find the link for you

thanks man I would really appreciate it seriously

Originally Posted by DRFT103
I'm a pro wakeskater, i've been docking boats for years.

It's no doubt that sc's have the power to pull it.. That won't be a problem. the only problem i see is if your launch ramp is really mellow, you might have problems with your mufflers going in the water. Unless you have a really long trailer, or if the ramp is steep.

and remember when dropping it in, always put the car in neutral then pull the hand brake tight, then put it in park. otherwise you'll destroy your transmission.

But that's about it.

*disclaimer* I dont use my SC to tow anything.
thanks for the advice, i wouldnt want to use my sc to tow my ski either but i cant afford the little beater truck i wanna get yet

Originally Posted by TecnoSmurf
I like YeA 2jZ

LoL !!! thanks man

Last edited by YeA 2jZ; 04-29-09 at 07:23 AM.
Old 04-29-09, 12:24 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

your car wont have a problem towing a jet ski.

when i go to drift day i have like 6 wheels/tires in the car and a trunk full of tools...like packed. thank god for years of tetris back in the day.

my car drives just fine fully loaded. i know a ski weights more but still
Old 04-29-09, 01:50 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
your car wont have a problem towing a jet ski.

when i go to drift day i have like 6 wheels/tires in the car and a trunk full of tools...like packed. thank god for years of tetris back in the day.

my car drives just fine fully loaded. i know a ski weights more but still
yea i am not trying to tow my ski for long trips i mean I live in Miami and the beach is literaly like 15min from my house so its not like a long term thing. The farthest i would travel with my ski would be to the keys about 120 miles form my house to the camp grounds i stay at. Plus i see guys runing around here in civic hatches and scion tc with honda aquatraxs and yamaha gp's all the time so for sure my car should be able to handle it but those are front wheel drive. I am wondering now what tires I should run in the rear i have the stock Dunlops that come with the 18" IS stocks and those dont grip to well so i dont want to be spinning my rear tires on the ramp when i pull it out ()
Old 04-29-09, 02:51 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont really see anything wrong with towing a jet ski. A friend of mine had a U-Haul hitch on the back and towed small trailers. The hitch is bolted up to the huge 17mm bolts that secure the tow hooks. Im not sure if those tow hooks are removed to bolt up the tow hitch or not. The only thing I would do before towing is make sure the tranny can take it. Give it a nice flush so it doesnt have to work over time.

Quick Reply: Buying a Jet Ski Need Some Input