SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Time to Troubleshoot!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-09, 07:45 AM
defrag
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to Troubleshoot!

OK, here we go. On Tuesday evening during my drive home, the little red battery light in the bottom right hand corner for the gauge cluster came on as I was pulling into my driveway. I gave the engine a little rev and the light went off until the car reached idle again, in which the light came back on.

So I parked my car in the garage, and waited until tomorrow. I started the car up Wednesday morning without an issue, but the red light was still there. So I left my Lexus at home for the day and waited until the evening to play around with it. I got home from work, started the car up, and took it out. Everything still seemed ok, but I noticed the windows looking a little sluggish going up and down, and the red light was still on.

I was on my way home and I decided to close up the sunroof, and when I did that the car had a little "twitch" attack. My radio went completely out (headunits, amps, the works) and kinda flickered trying to come back on but never did, my ABS & Traction control lights came on, as well as traction OFF. So I pull off into a gas station to check it out and get some gas since I was on empty, and when I tried to start the car, I had no luck. It was just clicking.

I waited for a few minutes and tried starting it again, and it BARELY started up.

So now I am driving home, and I notice all my interior light are EXTREMELY dim. I flipped on my left hand blinker and my dash practically goes out and my left HID goes out as well. So naturally I flip off my headlights and try to turn them back on and they don't came back on. GREAT! Now I am driving down the street with no headlights at 10pm.

I put on the hazards, and it feels like my car is about to give out. The gauge needles all start going crazy (up and down faster than the car could ever go) and once again, the dimming of the lights. I park the car in the garage and try to roll the windows up, but they need my hands to help them up since they are moving veryyyy slow. I tried to start the car once more after I turned it off and no luck. Now it sits and waits.

I hate to post all of this, but I would love to have some ideas I could put to use.

Do you think its a bad battery? (its a relatively new Die Hard, no corrosion or bulging)
Alternator? Voltage regulator?

I have no clue to be honest, just throwing out what ideas I have.

Suggestions from anyone would be great.
I appreciate all your help. Thank you very much.

93 SC300 would be the car.

Last edited by defrag; 04-30-09 at 08:06 AM.
Old 04-30-09, 08:06 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

your alternator is gone

get a new one. your car was trying to run on the battery alone. it can only do it for so long

also check if your distributor is leaking. it is right above the alternator. when the distributor seal starts leaking the drops go into the alternator effectively drowning it.

good luck
Old 04-30-09, 08:41 AM
defrag
Driver

My friend, you are 2 for 2! I noticed the distributor a few weeks ago having a few drops of oil on it. Looks like it has gotten worse since then.

Does it just need a seal replaced or the whole unit? (Distributor)

Guess I will have to take a cruise down to LA or check out the classifieds.

I hopes thats all it is ::crosses fingers::

Thank you for your help.
Old 04-30-09, 10:06 AM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by iwa100
My friend, you are 2 for 2! I noticed the distributor a few weeks ago having a few drops of oil on it. Looks like it has gotten worse since then.

Does it just need a seal replaced or the whole unit? (Distributor)

Guess I will have to take a cruise down to LA or check out the classifieds.

I hopes thats all it is ::crosses fingers::

Thank you for your help.
It's just an O-Ring. Cheap and easy.
Old 04-30-09, 11:34 AM
TeeDub
Driver

Had the same thing happen a few years ago....

It is probably power steering fluid leaking on the alternator... Fix that while you are in there.

(Has it been growling when you turn? Been adding PS fluid?)
Old 04-30-09, 02:39 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TeeDub
Had the same thing happen a few years ago....

It is probably power steering fluid leaking on the alternator... Fix that while you are in there.

(Has it been growling when you turn? Been adding PS fluid?)
It's an sc300 so it doesn't have the this issue. We get the distributor leak onto the alternator instead lol.

Yea all you need is an o-ring from the Lexus dealer. Somewhat straightforward to fix as there are some DIYs on the forum. I also have a spare aftermarket alternator if you are interested.
Old 05-01-09, 12:06 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

you have to check where the distributor is leaking. it may be a 3 dollar o-ring or it could be an internal bushing on the unit itself.

the distributor is not rebuildable...or at least i have tried yet since ive been busy at school