SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

AIrbox mods - no cost - SC400

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-02, 02:40 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keith, i'm pretty sure the bog was over with by 2500-3000 rpm, so yeah, you'd probably stall past it, but I got it at a part throttle roll-on too, going slow in 2nd gear, coming onto the accelerator swift and smooth. Dunno, still waiting for other input, it's as if we're the only couple guys that've tried it. I should PM Peter Scott.
Old 04-02-02, 04:27 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yea, I think we are the only crazy fools that do those extreme mods to our cars . We must the only 2 people to remove the snorkle - We like to live on the edge!!

Kidding aside. I ran the car thru some tests yesterday and found a few results. WHen the car is cold, the bog is circa 1800- 2800 rpm. WHen warm, its 2200-2800 rpm. Oddly, its most apparent when turning (no uphills in florida, so left and right are the only directions to go). If I hammer it - can't find the bog if my life depended on it. If I simply go straight, I seem to only hear the bog rather than feel it. The less gas I give it, the more obvious it is. Something is telling me this bog is slight loss of torque.

What the hell does all this mean - I dunno, I don't care either, cuz the sound is much more enjoyable!!!!!!

Any way, got to get back to work -

Keith
Old 04-02-02, 06:44 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

EXACTLY, Keith. It's great at full throttle, the bog only appears at part throttle, from a stop or 1st or 2nd gear part-throttle roll-on, at the exact rpm's you described. The noise was alright, but the bog was sooo annoying to me (definitely a loss in low-speed torque) that I reinstalled the schnoz. I can only figure it's creating turbulence before the air meter. I have a solution - forced induction!
Old 04-02-02, 07:32 AM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried to drive without the snorkel for few days myself. I put it back because I couldn't stand the noise. I also used K&N drop in filter.

I have to say that in my case with or without snorkel my car feels like it's bogging and only at the full throttle from the stand still. It actually feels like after 3000RPMs engine gets additional power (what some Acura owners describe as VTEC kicking in). Now if I start with the half throttle and after a split second go the full throttle my car doesn't bog and picks up from start to finish pretty nicely.

Now I use the cone filter, and the bog is not as bad as before, but it's still there. So now I usually practice my half to full throttle starts.

Interesting enough, I can spin the tires more often with the half to full throttle start rather than with the full throttle start.
Old 04-02-02, 07:46 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

That's not a bog bro, that's the 1UZ having no power at all below 3000rpm.
Attached Thumbnails AIrbox mods - no cost - SC400-compressed-iroc-burnout-2.jpg.jpg  
Old 04-02-02, 12:52 PM
Keith13b
Racer

Originally posted by Lex Luthor
I have a solution - forced induction!
Bring it on!!!!!!!!

Got Boost?

Can't wait till the 1UZ kits come out.
Old 04-02-02, 12:58 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

I'm currently talking with 3 or 4 guys about it now, between them, it will happen, and we will finally have a sword with which to strike back at the mighty heart of the oppressor 2JZ turbo......
Old 04-02-02, 02:54 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

I'm in this thread late, but here's my input... I've tried virtually every intake solution: No snorkel, topless airbox, BFI intake, BFI intake with PS heat shield, MAF with API paper conical filter, with K&N wet cotton conical filter, Ram-air, 3 different heat shield designs, and various length tubular extensions.

Without no snorkel, I think the airbox creates a resonating chamber and a marginal gain. I actually think it's JUST louder and that's all. The bogging sound I experienced, but I attribute the stall to placebo associated with the deep tone that lingers in low gear.

The BFI with top off made the throttle noticeably lighter and decreased the loudness, but added grittiness in noise from the no snorkle mode. I also tried driving with the BFI and no passenger side headlight in the dead of winter, which simulated cold, direct flow ram air similar to the Trans Am. That was pretty awesome, I actually felt increased power. Unfortunately we can't all drive around with a gigantic hole in the right side of our cars.

The BFI with heatshield didn't really make a percieved difference (adding the heatshield that is). But again that was also in the middle of winter with frisky air and I didn't really make long test runs beyond 10 minutes.

The MAF with the API paper filter was the loudest! I'll take a picture of the filter (which I'm not using), but it has a collapsed center cap that increases surface area of the filter. Paper is also more free flowing than any of the cotton filters so I'd imagine that contributes as well. I didn't use the API filter after testing it.

The K&N is about the same performance as BFI, but I ultimately kept in the K&N because it's less of an eyesore when I pop the hood. My K&N is under a "Mycrobyte heat shield" , which replaced my old DIY aluminum heat shields. Shame, I spent a lot of time measuring and designing them... oh well. The Mycrobyte heat shield is a lot more sturdier than my old ones. My sheet aluminum was like 28-gauge aluminum and Mycrobbyte's was probably 20-awg. Plus it was powder-coated in black as to preserve the stock look. High grade aluminum too when you bore holes into it. I haven't driven much with the new heat shield because I have a suspended license, so no results yet. Oh yeah, ram-air is great for high speed driving too, though it does introduce a bunch of crap to the filter like dirt, water, leaves, and bugs. The PS ram-air is different from mine and is effective at preventing that.

I must say though, any high flow intake is a great cheap upgrade and is very fun when you're doing the 20-80mph acceleration on the freeway onramp. If you like quiet rides though, that stock airbox with snorkel is excellent and toning down the noise. I like it though .

Last edited by lex400sc; 04-02-02 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-02-02, 03:10 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

So, from testing everything, you feel a conical filter w/ adapter, and alum heat shield is the best? I assume this is with the stock intake duct w/ resonant chamber. And did you fully insulate the shield? Peter's testing pointed towards a cone being inferior, just wondering what you found. How did you manage to get your license suspended? Never mind, don't tell me, i'll only get aggravated. Learn the system, use the loopholes. I street raced for years, payed my room and board during college like that, got enough tickets to wallpaper a small bathroom, but never ever came close to losing my license, never even had more than a couple points on there, believe it or not, never even took a defensive driver course for the point reductions, didn't need to, only took one when I first got my license, for the lower rate. I still have about 12-15 tickets to clear up, I know that sounds crazy, but i'll take care of it, no sweat. Back then, I payed more to Campus Public Safety than the courts, they kept doing room inspections and finding my NOS bottle, and charging me a fine for hazardous chemicals. I told them there was no danger, I had already emptied it the night before!
- Jon
Attached Thumbnails AIrbox mods - no cost - SC400-compressed-formula-hoosiers.jpg  
Old 04-02-02, 03:36 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Well to be honest, the BFI intake and the cone intake felt very similar to me. The heat shield has no perceived improvement. I guess it'll only do it's job after a few minutes of heat build up under the hood. So it's just a preventitive upgrade in that sense. I decided on the cone filter setup because (a) I paid for it, (b) the way I broke open the face of the airbox was unsightly, and (c) leaving the BFI in would require me to buy another $30 slated wet cotton air filter, which would leave me with three extra $30 filters sitting around.

I say it's up to you which you want to do. Just keep in mind that you might want to have an intact airbox in case you sell the car someday. The BFI heat shield I removed after a few weeks because it prevented me from easy access to my passenger headlight assembly and I'm taking measurements right now for an OEM HID retrofit. BTW folks, I'm almost POSITIVE that BMW X5 HIDs will fit in our car! Anyway, where I can just unscrew three screws for the Mycrobyte heatshield, the BFI heat shield used a lot of hot glue and heat-retardant foam material. My foam was sky blue in color too, which looked clean in construction, but cheesy overall under the hood.

I got my license suspended for seven months for speeding in excess of 100mph. I was cited doing 110 in a 70 zone at 12:30am at night. It's only suspended because I live in Communist California with a bunch of dickwad laws written by pinko bureaucrats and enforced by a bunch of power trip cops who get beaten at home by their wives.... Sorry, I'm pissed. Driving in excess of 100mph here is automatic confescation of driver's license and the court docket is forwarded to DMV's Safety Board where they determine your suspension period. This was my first speeding ticket ever, too! And I only had one point on my license prior for running a red. That was another bull***** ticket because I was making a right turn at a light that JUST turned red and there was also no one going into the lane I turned into. I talked to people in other states who've had double +100mph speeding tickets who are stil licensed drivers. But not here...

Last edited by lex400sc; 04-02-02 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-02-02, 04:12 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Dunno, in NY, there's nothing above 55mph believe it or not, so if they tried to pull me over at anything above 100mph, I always ran. Cops around here don't even bother to try to pull bikes over. But,,,,, that was in my more foolish days, when I had nothing to lose, things are different now, I just call my lawyer! Oh, and why do all you car guys live in CA where they make it so hard for you to mod your car? GRRR! It's like the ppl who live on the fault line with the Franklin Mint dishes hung up all over the wall......
Old 04-02-02, 05:34 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Car regulations suck, housing regulation sucks, taxes suck, cops suck, cost of living sucks, laws suck, prices on everything sellable sucks, but to tell you the truth, California has everything I've ever wanted, so I won't move away for a while. Great weather, hot girls (some are even down to earth), everything you need is a five minute drive away, lot's to do (beachs, slopes, hiking, biking, wakeboarding, sailing, any outdoor activity), great restaurants, diversity, scenery and did I mention awesome weather year 'round? They balance eachother out fairly well. I was raised in Texas and I can't go back to that insane arid heat with all those superhuman bird-sized bugs. Other than that, Texus was a great place to live too. Florida on the otherhand is unbearable. Heat plus insane humidity.
Old 04-03-02, 04:36 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Originally posted by lex400sc
Florida on the otherhand is unbearable. Heat plus insane humidity.
Yeah, tell me about it. At 6:00 in the morning, its 70 degrees + with 100% humidity. You just wake up and sweat!

Not to mention the high heat and humidity does wonders for killing your cars performance.
Old 04-03-02, 06:12 AM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

lex400sc,

The MAF with the API paper filter was the loudest! I'll take a picture of the filter (which I'm not using), but it has a collapsed center cap that increases surface area of the filter. Paper is also more free flowing than any of the cotton filters so I'd imagine that contributes as well. I didn't use the API filter after testing it.
Did you get the MAF and the API filter from importtoys.com? Are you using K&N RU-3580 by any chances? How do you like it? How much more quiet it is comparing to the API filter?

Thanks,
Old 04-03-02, 04:39 PM
UZZ32
Pole Position

Good on you blokes for doing some testing - top stuff!
I would have thought that the engine "bogs" in middle rpm with or without the snorkel in place - it's just that with no snorkel you get feedback, you hear what the engine is doing, with snorkel in it is quiet, you just push pedal through "flat spot" and don't notice, with snorkel out you hear every little bit of load the engine is under - when the engine load equals the car load (not going faster or slowing down) - you here that big loading up sound that is interpreted as a "bog". This sound is very common on the dyno.
I can't think of a reason, except for hot air, that removing the snorkel would hurt low rpm response- but your observations are very interesting.
Perhaps we would have to try ear plugs and turn the stereo up real loud and conduct test again to see if it is still noticeable.
Unclipping the airbox lid is the easiest quickest thing to do, it also lets a lot more air in. Look at the airbox lid hinges closley you will see they clip out very easily - on a cold day this is the quickest easiest mod to do.
The BFI is three parts. Cutting up the airbox is only a 1/3 BFI. I have put some more photos up in BFI Hardware on my page. Hopefully it is a bit clearer - let me know if it makes any sense. I managed to confuse a lot of people with my description of the air intake under the license plate
The BFI intake and BFI underheadlight passage will also work well with a cone and heatsheild.
I am updating my airbox with a textured finish black plastic with factory scrivets to give it that "factory" look. Doing it yourself is slow and a bit of a pain - too bad there wasn't a kit we could buy.
My exhaust cams come back tomorrow hopefully.

Quick Reply: AIrbox mods - no cost - SC400