SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Wild Radio Mod, Interior Mod

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-09, 06:27 AM
xcelr8
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the kudos, guys. I don't expect eveyone to like it, but like my GS sidemarkers, it works for me.
Old 05-09-09, 07:25 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 384 Likes on 226 Posts

now just shave the old power/volume **** and you'll be golden!
Old 05-09-09, 08:11 AM
xcelr8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1UZ-SC
now just shave the old power/volume **** and you'll be golden!
I 've got that covered. That works the bass from the Fosgate amp. There's a remote that come with these amps and it works the bass. I hollowsed out the stock and slipped the remote in. Works fine.
Old 05-09-09, 08:41 AM
Enigma8246
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by xcelr8
I 've got that covered. That works the bass from the Fosgate amp. There's a remote that come with these amps and it works the bass. I hollowsed out the stock and slipped the remote in. Works fine.
Great idea.

The HU looks very much at home in the dash but i gotta warn u, i have a lot of friends with mustangs and they've had a lot of trouble with the 6 disc changer locking up and not letting them get the discs out.
Old 05-09-09, 09:21 AM
xcelr8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Enigma8246
Great idea.

The HU looks very much at home in the dash but i gotta warn u, i have a lot of friends with mustangs and they've had a lot of trouble with the 6 disc changer locking up and not letting them get the discs out.
This is true, as I outlined in the original post. That's why I sent it in and just to be sure, they replaced the CD mech. all for $99.

Thanks though...AND you can get it done for free (most of the time according to the sites) if you have the VIN. You can take it to Ford who will exchange it for the new mech. I was going to do this, but took the path of least resistance.
Old 05-09-09, 11:38 AM
shaitaan
Lexus Test Driver

wow, not bad actually.
Old 05-09-09, 11:42 AM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

nice man looks good!
Old 05-09-09, 08:07 PM
Ryeno
Banned

You don't see much improvement over CASSETTE????
Dont you have a cd changer? Plus their is a guide on this site that shows how to add an aux imput(ipod) into your oem HU.
Clarion isn't a bad brand...not great but not bad.
No its bad. In the HU world alpine is the best, hands down. Then you have slightly worse brands like pioneer and eclipse. Clarion is at the bottom of that list along with sony xplod and dual.

Mustangs are cheep(price and quality) so of course ford is going to put a pos hu into the car to cut down on cost. 160 bucks for that, idk i think its a waste. If your going to be spending money, you might as well get something thats good.
Old 05-09-09, 08:36 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryeno
Dont you have a cd changer? Plus their is a guide on this site that shows how to add an aux imput(ipod) into your oem HU.

No its bad. In the HU world alpine is the best, hands down. Then you have slightly worse brands like pioneer and eclipse. Clarion is at the bottom of that list along with sony xplod and dual.

Mustangs are cheep(price and quality) so of course ford is going to put a pos hu into the car to cut down on cost. 160 bucks for that, idk i think its a waste. If your going to be spending money, you might as well get something thats good.
considering that the newest possible changer in an SC is already almost 10 years old i think this is a good alternative. they are also prone to jamming. i was shocked to find out my original 1993 changer still works.

the issue is with the mechanics on the ford radio. putting it down on the work bench too fast can make them break. lol. if you had it checked out then you should be good to go.

as far as alpine being the best. well i would definitely have to agree with you...if it was 2005 and older. in reality alpine sold out right when they left circuit city as a vendor and went to best buy...aka circa 2005.

older alpine radios are amazing. i have had then all in my cars. my last 4 were alpine. my current alpine is from 2004 and i still have people offering me 300 all day to sell it.

if you want more info about how alpine sucks these days PM me. if you want a good alpine radio get the cda-9813, 9815, 7998, and if you can afford it the older f1 status

also eclipse is nowhere near pioneer. pioneer has always been a consistent brand. not the best, but their quality also does not fluctuate over the years like alpine and sony. oh yeah there are "good" sony head units.

the mustang radio looks great. props OP

did you hard wire the harness or bought two harnesses from metra? one reverse harness for the ford deck and one for the lexus premium harness?
Old 05-09-09, 09:11 PM
Ryeno
Banned

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
also eclipse is nowhere near pioneer.
ya your right, i should have put eclipse in its own sentence.
Old 05-10-09, 03:38 AM
infiniti24
Lead Lap

I like it it's very OEM like and fits the cars simplisity (sp I'm tired) good job
Old 05-10-09, 05:56 AM
xcelr8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ryeno

I don't want this to be a technical thread. A girlfriend I had had a sinlge Clarion CD in her 97 and I knew her until 2002...still working great. As far as CD changer...are you kidding me? You prefer CASSETTE in the dash, and CD in the trunk? Who rides in the trunk?

This places 6 cds in the dash. This to me is a HUGE improvement. IMO. And don't forget: it was 60 bux from a local car that has 18,000 miles onit. I paid the extra 100 for piece of mind.

AND I got a solid blue led interior .... outshines our algae-colored stock by a long shot.

And Ford could have used a no name brand. Anyway, works for me.

Last edited by xcelr8; 05-10-09 at 06:01 AM.
Old 05-10-09, 05:59 AM
xcelr8
Pole Position

did you hard wire the harness or bought two harnesses from metra? one reverse harness for the ford deck and one for the lexus premium harness?

You naile d it: a reverse harness for the HU and I just attached "needle" pins to the end wires and inserted them into our OEM harness...this way, if there's something I don't like down the road, I'll just "unplug."
Old 05-10-09, 06:02 AM
msc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if it sounds good then its good upgrade for cheap price also indash cd changer always good
Old 05-10-09, 06:07 AM
Ryeno
Banned

I don't want this to be a technical thread. A girlfriend I had had a sinlge Clarion CD in her 97 and I knew her until 2002...still working great.

This places 6 cds in the dash. This to me is a HUGE improvement. IMO. And don't forget: it was 60 bux from a local car that has 18,000 miles onit. I paid the extra 100 for piece of mind.

And Ford could have used a no name brand. Anyway, works for me.
Thats not what i meant altho their is a good chance it will break. I mean the sound quality is going to suck.

I remember when i had my toyota camry with stock speakers. I could still tell the difference in sound quality when i upgraded the hu.
As far as CD changer...are you kidding me? You prefer CASSETTE in the dash, and CD in the trunk? Who rides in the trunk?
Actually i prefer being in the 21st century and using an ipod(or iphone). CDs suck, you have to keep swapping them and they skip/scratch over bumps.

Quick Reply: Wild Radio Mod, Interior Mod