Anyone heard from Jon Jones / Im2gq4u ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-09, 10:14 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,420 Posts

Originally Posted by ucfa4
That sucks that people are thieves. I thought the mods were supposed to protect us from this. You guys should pm DaveGS4 he might be able to help you out.
I'll be glad to help (and already have). However your expectations about 'protecting you' and what we can and can't do are way out of whack. Read the rules we have posted and that we enforce.... we are very clear that its buyer beware and you always take your chances whether you're buying on ebay or craigslist or here on CL.

Having said that our rules are built to try to keep stuff like this from happening and we do take actions to try and help resolve issues when they do. What we have done:

1) I shut down a partout the seller started because he didn't meet our criteria and removed it from the classified forums same day it was posted. ucfa4, I hope this situation helps you understand why I also didn't allow yours to be posted.
2) I've reached out to the seller to ask him to resolve this issue
3) I've sent messages to the voucher (Luin) to ask him to personally call the seller and engage him in fixing these issues
4) I looked for any indications that the seller and Luin were the same person (did not find any).
5) Closed down all of his prior FS threads so they can't be edited to remove details
6) Turned on email notifications for PMs for both seller and voucher so they get emails when anyone sends them a PM.

Neither have been online for some time; given the timeframe since his login, I would personally advise you to contact paypal and/or your credit card company to get working on a refund:

Im2gq4u Last Activity: 04-29-09 06:05 PM
Luin Last Activity: 04-23-09 08:37 PM

I suggest you try the alternative means you have available such as google to find him on other forums but be aware there are loads of people with the same / similar screen names. Better yet I would suggest using the info publicly available in his profile such as:

1) AIM GQelitist
2) Yahoo! jlj_992
3) His myspace http://www.myspace.com/bluetune to contact him.
4) Search prior posts and reach out to previous buyers who bought something from him to see if they have his address or phone number.

I will warn you guys that this thread will be closed immediately if there is any further discussion about physical threats to the seller.

If he doesn't resolve these issues he will be banned from Club Lexus and vouchers will lose any access to our classifieds forums.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 05-20-09 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05-20-09, 11:14 AM
SoCaLSC400
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

surprise surprise... his myspace has been deleted!
Old 05-20-09, 11:24 AM
schwarz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SoCaLSC400
surprise surprise... his myspace has been deleted!
But his Facebook hasn't been....

http://www.facebook.com/people/Jon-Jones/507635438

Luins myspace...

http://www.myspace.com/kcolrehstihson
http://www.myspace.com/luinsinstinctpictures
Old 05-20-09, 11:33 AM
$loJam
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would highly recommend Johnny Jones and Luin produce the goods or issue a refund pronto b/c he could seriously be charged with wirefraud/internet fraud/Paypal Fraud which is a federal crime. We are talking Levenworth prision, not some white collar getaway resort prision. He's probaly making a good living off offering bogus parts on multiple forums. Contact your local police dept.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wire_fraud

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_fraud

Last edited by $loJam; 05-20-09 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-20-09, 12:04 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by $loJam
I would highly recommend Johnny Jones and Luin produce the goods or issue a refund pronto b/c he could seriously be charged with wirefraud/internet fraud/Paypal Fraud which is a federal crime. We are talking Levenworth prision, not some white collar getaway resort prision. He's probaly making a good living off offering bogus parts on multiple forums. Contact your local police dept.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wire_fraud

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_fraud
You can also try filing a claim with the Federal Trade Comission.
Old 05-20-09, 01:08 PM
$loJam
Pole Position

What the crooks do is set up ficticious accts in various mods and set up a bogus paypal acct and bilk a bunch of people out of their money and then cancel the paypal acct and set up another paypal acct, doing this over and over to avoid getting caught. They will often use public computers and use an IP changer to avoid getting their IP identified. It's not easy catching these criminals. These guys are amateurs and will get caught if they are involved in fraudulent activities. There is really little a moderator can do to stop this activity.
Old 05-20-09, 01:27 PM
Ryeno
Banned

What the crooks do is set up ficticious accts in various mods and set up a bogus paypal acct and bilk a bunch of people out of their money and then cancel the paypal acct and set up another paypal acct, doing this over and over to avoid getting caught. They will often use public computers and use an IP changer to avoid getting their IP identified. It's not easy catching these criminals. These guys are amateurs and will get caught if they are involved in fraudulent activities. There is really little a moderator can do to stop this activity.
Ip address, mac address all those things can be tracked. Anything you do online has to go through servers and routers and logs are kept. The real question is how would prosecute him. Unless someone gets scammed oh lets say a few thousand dollars, the crime is to petty for the police to do anything about it. It would just cost to much. Likewise with hiring an attorney tracking him and suing him. It will cost you more money then you lost.
Old 05-20-09, 02:20 PM
$loJam
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ryeno
Ip address, mac address all those things can be tracked. Anything you do online has to go through servers and routers and logs are kept. The real question is how would prosecute him. Unless someone gets scammed oh lets say a few thousand dollars, the crime is to petty for the police to do anything about it. It would just cost to much. Likewise with hiring an attorney tracking him and suing him. It will cost you more money then you lost.

That's why these guys put ads up for low cost items. They are thinking like your reasoning listed above. They figure people will just chalk it off as a loss b/c they aren't losing much money. Imagine if they ripped off an average of 20 people a day at an average amount of say $30, that would be $500 a day, $3,500 week, or $180,000/year. Even half of that ($90,000/yr) would be very lucrative, 10 people a day is cake.

As far as IP, it's almost impossible for the authorities to catch a criminal who can go to an airport and use their wifi , or even driving by and getting signal from a house that has unprotected wifi.
Old 05-20-09, 02:31 PM
Ryeno
Banned

That's why these guys put ads up for low cost items. They are thinking like your reasoning listed above. They figure people will just chalk it off as a loss b/c they aren't losing much money. Imagine if they ripped off an average of 20 people a day at an average amount of say $30, that would be $500 a day, $3,500 week, or $180,000/year. Even half of that ($90,000/yr) would be very lucrative, 10 people a day is cake.
hes not making that much money.

As far as IP, it's almost impossible for the authorities to catch a criminal who can go to an airport and use their wifi , or even driving by and getting signal from a house that has unprotected wifi.
Their is always a way to track someone down whether it be ip address, mac address, paypal wire transfer (into this legit account), paypal credit card useage. Their is always a way it just matters if your going to go through the hassle.
Old 05-20-09, 02:55 PM
$loJam
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ryeno
hes not making that much money.

They recently did a report of Nigerians involved in various online scams who use public internet cafes in Nigeria. These cats were driving brand new Mercedes Benz, wearing rolex watches and building brand new homes. Don't underestimate how much these internet crooks are making. I highly doubt the amateurs listed in this thread are pulling in that much dough.

Their is always a way to track someone down whether it be ip address, mac address, paypal wire transfer (into this legit account), paypal credit card useage. Their is always a way it just matters if your going to go through the hassle.
What they do is identity theft. How do you track the person if they are using someone else's identity or a deceased person's identity? How do you track someone that is stealing someone else's wifi signal? The people that get caught are the stupid ones. I used to work for investigation/skip tracing for a major credit card company and was quite good at tracking down people. I'm very familiar with online criminal tactics.

Like you said the authorites will not get involved, unless a great deal of people file complaints which is highly unlikely for such trivial amounts of money. That's how these guys stay under the radar.

Think about it. If someone put an ad on here for a 97 oem body kit for $50, there would literally be 20 people on here in 10 mins willing to wire the money. That's $1,000 dollars in 10 minutes. These criminals look for hot parts people are looking for and offer dirt cheap prices. Just think of all the car forums they can hit, there are literally hundreds of different car forums on the net. Believe me people are doing this.
Old 05-20-09, 03:59 PM
Blurr
Driver

If you have his real name and location. Look him up on zaba search.

Forgot to add. People don't understand that transactions on the internet can be traced. IP addresses, Passwords, all of that.

Last edited by Blurr; 05-20-09 at 04:02 PM. Reason: wanted to add something
Old 05-20-09, 05:37 PM
Enigma8246
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Blurr
Forgot to add. People don't understand that transactions on the internet can be traced. IP addresses, Passwords, all of that.
Exactly. Mods, any chance you have an IP address for him in the event someone does want to report him to the police. That way they might actually have a chance of catching him.
Old 05-20-09, 05:45 PM
$loJam
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Enigma8246
Exactly. Mods, any chance you have an IP address for him in the event someone does want to report him to the police. That way they might actually have a chance of catching him.

His facebook is listed in an earlier post on this thread. Just add him as a friend haha.
Old 05-24-09, 01:03 AM
Luin
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI, My name is Luin Haden, not Jon Jones. I know Jon and will pass on info that he is needed on here. I did not make any deals with anyone so I will not "produce the goods or issue a refund pronto".
Old 05-24-09, 08:05 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 363 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Luin
FYI, My name is Luin Haden, not Jon Jones. I know Jon and will pass on info that he is needed on here. I did not make any deals with anyone so I will not "produce the goods or issue a refund pronto".
Lemme 'kinda 'splain the way things work......

When you say "I officially vouch" that means you are taking responsibility for that persons actions. You are vouching for them. If you do not wish to take responsibility for their actions, ............. don't vouch for them. For now? Too late...... You're the guy who told everyone he was alright and good to go, you're the vouch.

So no backin' out with that "I didn't do this, I didn't do that" bull or you'll be put in the same fire because you'll BOTH be backing out.

EDIT: (add attachment before new edit to original linked post)
Attached Thumbnails Anyone heard from Jon Jones / Im2gq4u ?-1e9295125bde425eb9d3ac137cef42c5.png  

Last edited by O. L. T.; 05-27-09 at 09:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone heard from Jon Jones / Im2gq4u ?